PDA

View Full Version : Spokeshave madness

Eric Brown
04-30-2023, 11:23 AM
Here are some of the spokeshaves I have.

Top to bottom left side:

Union #18, Union #17, Union #113, Union #114 with chamfer gauges, Union #116, Stearns #13, Stearns #9, Stearns low angle

Top to bottom right side:

Dixie, Unknown, Martin's, Unknown, A.A. Woods #1 later, A.A. Woods #1 earlier, Stanley #63, Stanley #60 double

Top to bottom left side:
Preston quirk router with extra blade and fences, WoodJoy cigar, Stanley #67 round bottom, Stanley #63 flat bottom, Millers-Falls #1 cigar patent pending, M-F cigar #1 patented, M-F #2,

Top to bottom right side:
Bronze rabbet, Bronze double rounder, Bronze double rabbet, Bronze curved, Lie-Nielsen flat bronze, Unknown with leather handles.

David Carroll
04-30-2023, 12:17 PM
That's a nice collection! I'm more used to planes and drawknives and have bunches of each. I never really got into spokeshaves, I do have several, all old, except for a a Record curved bottom spokeshave that I bought new around 1990 or so. (Not sure if that still counts as 'new'). I did buy a cigar shave (Millers Falls?) but I never could get it to work well enough and I sold it, and bought a nice cabinet rasp and coarse file and then I scrape..

I have a beautiful piece of Gaboon (Gabon) Ebony that I have earmarked for a spokeshave. I've been looking at the kits now offered by Dave's Shaves and I threaten to order and build one, but so far it's just threats.

Thanks for posting!

DC

Eric Brown
04-30-2023, 12:37 PM
That's a nice collection! I'm more used to planes and drawknives and have bunches of each. I never really got into spokeshaves, I do have several, all old, except for a a Record curved bottom spokeshave that I bought new around 1990 or so. (Not sure if that still counts as 'new'). I did buy a cigar shave (Millers Falls?) but I never could get it to work well enough and I sold it, and bought a nice cabinet rasp and coarse file and then I scrape..

I have a beautiful piece of Gaboon (Gabon) Ebony that I have earmarked for a spokeshave. I've been looking at the kits now offered by Dave's Shaves and I threaten to order and build one, but so far it's just threats.

Thanks for posting!

DC

Go for it. I would recommend making it with a different wood one or two times and then use the ebony. That would get you more familiar with the process. I'm sure if you have problems Dave would help you out.

Mike Henderson
04-30-2023, 2:12 PM

Thanks for posting!

DC

I made a number of spokeshaves using the Lee Valley kit. Used several varieties of wood, one of which was ebony. The Lee Valley kit gives you a knob adjustment for depth, which is nice.

Mike

Jim Koepke
04-30-2023, 2:59 PM
Nice assortment of shaves Eric.

I thought I had bad for spokeshaves. You've got at lest 3 times more than me.

jtk

Eric Brown
04-30-2023, 5:16 PM
Nice assortment of shaves Eric.

I thought I had bad for spokeshaves. You've got at lest 3 times more than me.

jtk

Do I win? Doubt it. There are collectors out there with many more tools than myself. It's not a competition. I just like different. Makes me consider what the maker/inventor was thinking.