PDA

View Full Version : Double-Ended Block Plane Comparisons

Eric Brown
04-29-2023, 5:25 PM
I began collecting these because I wanted to put together a "Fulton" tool set. Then it snowballed into more to try to learn who made the Fultons (two companies), and then I wanted to see how they compared to the Stanleys.

Looking at the pictures, from left to right are: Stanley #130 (early type with star handle), Stanley #130, Stanley 131, Ohio Tool 0220, Millers-Falls #68, Union #137, Sargent #227, Fulton Warranted, Fulton Warranted, Fulton Tool Company, Jordan?, Kunz 130.

The following is showing the same group apart.

And finally set up as Bullnose configuration.

What are the differences? Well there are several different clamping handles. The early Stanley #130 has a very small handle with a star on it. The Stanley #131 has a lever to lock the cap down and was also used on some regular block planes. The rest are similar in size and shape except for the second Fulton Warranted. It has a user made handle that is quite large and heavy. It's also the best feeling in my small hands.

Picture below shows the small Stanley vs the User Fulton.

The Millers Falls probably has the best shaped tightening wheel. Most of them use two rails to support the blade with cross support ribs. The Union has a single post in the middle, no ribs. The last two have a center post with ribs. The earliest Stanley has thin sides that are not ground square with the bottom. The rest are square. When it comes to weights, they ranged from 1 lb 6.7 oz (Stanley #131) to 2 lbs 6.0 oz (Fulton Warranted with homemade handle). The blades of the first ten planes were all 1 5/8" wide (41.275 mm) with the last two being 1.57" (40 mm). Blade thickness ranged from .053 to .083 with most being about .080

If I had to choose a best of the lot, it would be the Fulton with homemade handle. However, that isn't fair. Picking something y'all can get, I think the Union would edge out the Millers-Falls because of the longer blade. I would not pick the Stanleys because the sides seem thinner than the rest. If I had to choose a Stanley it would be the newer 130 with a more comfortable handle. Note: The 130 Stanleys and maybe the Ohio Tool all use support rods that are threaded on one end and all three Stanleys along with the Union use little wood knobs screwed onto a post sticking out of the casting. The rest all use machine screws.

I also would not choose either the Jordon or Kunz. The Jordan has a very thin blade (.053") The Kunz also has a thin blade (.061) and the widest open mouths. The tightening wheel is drilled off-center and the support rod are roll pins (not solid).

Eric Brown
04-29-2023, 5:27 PM
Just to clarify, I really don't know why anybody would want a double ended block plane. The regular block planes with adjustable mouths and a chisel can do the job better.

Jim Koepke
04-29-2023, 5:47 PM
Just to clarify, I really don't know why anybody would want a double ended block plane. The regular block planes with adjustable mouths and a chisel can do the job better.

Some folks likely want the bull nose ability afforded with these planes. A #90 bull nose Cabinet makers plane or a plane like the Stanley #78 duplex rabbet do it for me.

jtk

Eric Brown
04-29-2023, 8:07 PM
Some folks likely want the bull nose ability afforded with these planes. A #90 bull nose Cabinet makers plane or a plane like the Stanley #78 duplex rabbet do it for me.

jtk

Exactly. There are other better tools.

Derek Cohen
04-29-2023, 8:18 PM
Eric, I believe that Stanley et al predicted your arrival on this Earth, and fascination for their block planes, many, many years ago. :) I have this theory that they spirits sprinkle fairy dust to guide you and others to garage sales and swap meets, where you will gather up and adopt the orphans. Tell me I’m not clairvoyant.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Eric Brown
04-30-2023, 7:09 AM
Eric, I believe that Stanley et al predicted your arrival on this Earth, and fascination for their block planes, many, many years ago. :) I have this theory that their spirits sprinkle fairy dust to guide you and others to garage sales and swap meets, where you will gather up and adopt the orphans. Tell me I’m not clairvoyant.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Your not. I collect everything.

Jim Koepke
04-30-2023, 11:07 AM
At one time my desire to purchase a #130 was very strong. Thankfully the fairy dust sprinkling spirits tended to sprinkle more dust on others who were bidding on ebay at the time.

jtk

steven c newman
04-30-2023, 12:47 PM
Had a #130 for about a year.....hurt the palm of my hand way too much to keep using it....sold it.