PDA

View Full Version : Progress???????

Gordon Achterhof
01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
I think that I am moving along at about a snails pace. Now I need some help. The wood is oak and I can see why ya'll don't like it but it is all that I have now.

What do you think that I need to do with this thing now?

Glenn Hodges
01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
George, I like your form, but I would make the bottom a little smaller. Is this green wood? If it is oak is bad to split, good luck.

Carole Valentine
01-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Looking good. Bring the curve around smoothly to a smaller bottom (either a dimple or a tiny foot) and finish hollowing the inside and you are good to go!:)

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 11:54 AM
What carole said. I will add that this is a challenging form due to the overlapping rim, especially in something like oak. You're going a good job, however...keep on going!

Ernie Nyvall
01-30-2006, 9:47 PM
Turning oak... you da man.:D

I agree with the three above.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
01-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Yup. Smaller bottom.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-31-2006, 12:17 AM
To help smooth the outside, if you have an Irish/Elsworth ground Gouge, Reverse it so that both cutting edges face the bowl. turn it up to a 45-55 degree angle. cut with the bottom edge, keeping the upper one about 1/16" away from the surface. Start the cut at as close to the center of the bottom as you can get and draw to you. You should get real thin curls - a lot of them. This, when going throught the end grain will be a slicing cut which will leave a very smooth finish.

Practice the motion with the lathe off, first, till it feels comfortable. I've used this method on very punky wood with no tearout.

BTW, That IS going to be a beauty. I've done some with that alignment and people love the look you get.

Bruce

John Hart
01-31-2006, 6:29 AM
Now...this is just me o'course...But I would get my big skew and move from left to right in big sweeping motions along the entire length of the outside to bring a continuous curve into it. Looks great so far Gordon!:)