PDA

View Full Version : cultured marble crack repair

Zachary Hoyt
04-28-2023, 7:19 PM
I bought a cultured marble vanity top, 19x25" from an online supplier. The first one was delivered poorly packed with the backsplash separated from the top for about a foot. The crack looks clean so I am wondering if I can use epoxy to glue it back together. I have RAKA canoe epoxy, which is pretty good quality. They sent me a second one which was broken worse, and then a third which was intact. They took the second one back but left me with the first one. I just need to repair to make it easier to give away, or else I'll have to take it to the dump, which will cost $10 or so. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Jim Becker
04-28-2023, 7:42 PM
Likely you can do the fill/repair using epoxy resin, but you might want to talk with folks like Total Boat (Jamestown Distributors) to determine the best kind of formula to use. Their high performance product is great and I suspect the "medium" hardener would be spot on. But there is also tinting to do so that the resin blends into the cultured product color-wise. Clear might stand out too much.

Maurice Mcmurry
04-28-2023, 9:23 PM
In the past cultured marble has been polyester resin. Epoxy and polyester get along fairly well together. The finish will be the tricky part. Polyester will take a shine with modest effort on the rub-out. I have yet to try polishing epoxy.

Zachary Hoyt
04-29-2023, 7:51 AM
Thank you both for your help. Medium hardener is what I have, so that should be okay. It's good to know that it's likely to be polyester resin. I'm hoping I can close the crack back up with clamps while the glue dries so that surface matching won't be needed, but that may be overly optimistic.

Jim Becker
04-29-2023, 9:14 AM
Adding a white, grey, beige, whatever tint that gets close to the color of the cultured marble will help hide the repair.

Ernie Loposser
05-01-2023, 10:03 AM
or, saw the backsplash off and use it without