PDA

View Full Version : Veneer and painters tape. Ugh.

andrew whicker
04-28-2023, 5:54 PM
Well. That's fun. Sigh.

Maurice Mcmurry
04-28-2023, 6:05 PM
Darn, that is too bad. My son schooled me on tape removal after he spent some time working for a fine art handling firm. He works very slowly, angles the tape pull radically in two directions and gets the blow drier or heat gun at the first sign of trouble.

andrew whicker
04-28-2023, 6:07 PM
It had finish on it already. Didn't even think about it

andrew whicker
04-28-2023, 6:13 PM
I'm going to finish scribing, etc and then take it back to my shop. Maybe recover everything I can from the tape and super glue it all back as next I can.

It is on the underside

Jim Morgan
04-29-2023, 12:07 AM
Purple (delicate) tape works well here. It is sticky enough to hold veneer in place while putting a piece into the press, but it is less tacky (and so more easily removeable) than blue tape.

Phillip Mitchell
04-29-2023, 7:23 AM
Andrew,

Have you ever tried the green Frog Tape? It’s a little more $ than blue 3M but it works better, IMO. I always have a handful of rolls in various widths around my shop and on installs and honestly it’s one of my most frequently used supplies, especially when working with prefinished materials. I’ve never had it pull the substrate off or get stuck / disintegrate.

John TenEyck
04-29-2023, 10:33 AM
If that was regular blue tape it's not surprising. I've found the Fine Lines and Delicate Surfaces tape from 3M, as well as the purple one that JM recommended both to work well.

John

andrew whicker
04-29-2023, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Lesson learned (and hopefully for someone else too). Never thought that a prefinished (finished before install) veneer was subject to tearing like this. I thought the Rubio would be "slippery" enough.

New tape ordered!

Andrew Hughes
04-29-2023, 12:03 PM
I like the green frog tape also. It’s not just the tape that matters how it’s pull away is important. Pulling the tape onto its self and not upwards. Just wanted to mention for the record I’m sure you guys already know.:)
Good Luck

andrew whicker
04-29-2023, 12:06 PM
It's all good. It feels kinda stupid, the problem just never crossed my mind and I wrecklessly pulled away.

Over think 1000 things and underthink 1 thing. Such is life : )

Jim Becker
04-29-2023, 7:23 PM
In the end, veneer is just wood like the thicker stuff and any imperfections (visible or more likely hidden) or drying from aging can certainly play tricks on us. IE..."stuff happens". :)

Lloyd McKinlay
04-29-2023, 7:52 PM
Yellow Frog tape is the easy release version of the green. Still has pretty good hold but less likely to damage a surface. I gave up on blue tape, too much bleeding along the edges.

Richard Coers
04-29-2023, 8:15 PM
There is a reason gum veneer tape was invented.

Jim Morgan
04-29-2023, 10:00 PM
There is a reason gum veneer tape was invented.

I'm guessing what the OP needed ain't it.