PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Helix lens changeover

Jim Collins
04-28-2023, 2:45 PM
I have an opportunity that will require a 4" lens for my 2009 Helix.
Some questions:
1. is it advisable/practical to switch between the 2" and 4" lenses for different jobs?
does it affect alignment?
2. is there a less expensive route than $386 for the whole assembly direct from Epilog?

thanks for any info,
Jim

Mike Null
04-28-2023, 4:41 PM
In my 25 years I have never had the need for a 4" lens. The "go to" lens for most work, cutting and engraving, is a 2" lens. You can talk to these people, https://american-photonics.myshopify.com/. I have no info on them so shop at your own risk.

For me, if the job didn't pay for the lens and provide a good profit it wouldn't be worth it.

Steve Utick
04-29-2023, 7:19 AM
In my 25 years I have never had the need for a 4" lens. The "go to" lens for most work, cutting and engraving, is a 2" lens. You can talk to these people, https://american-photonics.myshopify.com/. I have no info on them so shop at your own risk.

For me, if the job didn't pay for the lens and provide a good profit it wouldn't be worth it.

American Photonics is a very stand up company and makes some of the best quality lenses around. All 100% made in the USA. I'd definitely give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Mike Null
04-29-2023, 7:56 AM
Steve
Thanks for that endorsement. Good to know.

Kev Williams
05-07-2023, 2:38 PM
OK, I'll bite: what type of job requires a 4" lens? Best I can guess is something that's not flat-?

I have a 4" lens, got it for my Chinese Triumph, and I have used the lens in my 'good' machines...

Unless what you're engraving is easily engraved at low power settings, a 4" lens will likely be frustrating as hell. I have several lenses, and a 3" is MUCH more efficient than a 4" lens. My go-to lens is a cheap Chinese 2-1/2", it cuts well, engraves well, and is much more forgiving when out of focus slightly than a 2". A 3" ENGRAVES pretty good, but cutting efficiency sucks. Cutting with a 4" lens with 80 watts is tough to do...

Whatever lens you use, whether it will 'affect alignment' should only be an issue with your initial home position X-Y alignment, but a temporary easy fix is to simply engrave a 1/2" square box with the top and left edges exactly 1/2" down and 1/2" from the left- measure with some good calipers where the engraving actually IS in relation to where it SHOULD be, and that the size matches up. If good, then go-- if not, just note the difference in measurements, adjust the engraving position (and size if needed) accordingly, and re-test. If good, just note the offset distances to fix. No need to re-adjust the whole machine over a lens change, just adjust your 'actual' home position, and job save the good results...