PDA

View Full Version : Any Porter Cable 7518/7519 experts here?

Matt Day
04-27-2023, 7:51 AM
I have a 7519 whose switch and soft start need replacing. I have another 7519 that works, and by moving the good switch and soft start over to the bad one it fires up. Problem is parts are either discontinued or super expensive. The new switch has 3 or 4 prongs, while the original has 2 - not sure if that’s an issue. The newer models have a different soft start module.
Wondering if anyone has any sources or suggestions that don’t cost $60/part. I read about bypassing the soft start possibly? Do you think the new, different switch would work?
Thanks!

Tom M King
04-27-2023, 7:55 AM
Spray electronics cleaner into the switch. Not sure if it will work, but worth a try. I have some old tools that it keeps going.

Larry Edgerton
04-27-2023, 8:09 AM
I have bypassed the softstart on one of mine, works fine. I painted red around the switch to remind me but really, you always hang on to those things pretty good anyway. I need a new plunge, have rebuilt it twice, and I just don't like the big Festool so am on the hunt.

Curt Harms
04-27-2023, 5:08 PM
Triton makes a 3.25 HP router with a D handle fixed base. Motor diameter is the same as the P-C 7518 so should work in a lift. Here's one source:

https://www.rockler.com/triton-tfbr001-325hp-fixed-base-router-kit

I doubt they're the cheapest.

Matt Day
04-27-2023, 5:40 PM
thanks for the suggestions everyone. I blew out the switch with compressed air and it has continuity and works again. I decided just to remove the soft start by bypassing it. Router fires up now! I would likely add an external variable speed box to it.