PDA

View Full Version : Vidalia Onions

Kent A Bathurst
04-26-2023, 1:44 PM
Regulated season opened yesterday. Trip to Savannah, veered off the interstate to get some

Jim Koepke
04-26-2023, 2:56 PM
What is a "regulated season"?

I love onions. On hamburgers a few of my favorite places would put grilled and raw onions on my burger.

jtk

Lawrence Duckworth
04-26-2023, 3:25 PM
they're the champagne of onions....:D

Kent A Bathurst
04-26-2023, 3:32 PM
Vidalia isn’t your normal onion. A “sweet “ onion. The name has huge market value so the state protects the brand.to maintain quality. Limited to 7 counties. The ag department inspects and monitors crop. A few weeks ago they announced this year’s ship date as 4/24. Meaning can’t ship/sell before Lotta trademark stuff, growing regulations etc

Keep counterfeit crop out of the hands of miscreants from Mississippi, Texas, etc. :)

Short-term season. Best eaten very fresh. Don’t keep well

absolutely marvelous. You can Google and get some shipped to you

Kent A Bathurst
04-26-2023, 3:34 PM
Also - 2 slices of bread, mayo, and a 1/2” slab of onion is a perfect. Sandwich

Rich Engelhardt
04-26-2023, 5:37 PM
True fresh Vidalia onions can be eaten just like an apple.

I like a big slab on Peter Pan peanut butter with some French's Yellow Mustard.

'maters (real Summer vine ripened) & Vidalias on two slices of bread = heaven.

Kent A Bathurst
04-26-2023, 5:43 PM
I’ll give you the maters zero chance on the peanut butter

Jim Koepke
04-26-2023, 6:45 PM
Vidalia isn’t your normal onion. A “sweet “ onion. The name has huge market value so the state protects the brand.to maintain quality.

Thanks, I think the same happens here with Walla Walla onions. You can by seeds and starts but you can't sell them as Walla Walla onions.

jtk

Brian Tymchak
04-26-2023, 7:01 PM
Thanks, I think the same happens here with Walla Walla onions. You can by seeds and starts but you can't sell them as Walla Walla onions.
were
jtk

Yep. Love the Walla Wallas. Use to visit an aunt in Spokane in my younger years. Walla Wallas were a staple during our visits.

Dave Fritz
04-26-2023, 7:27 PM
I just bought some Walla Walla onion sets in the bare root room at Jung's Seed in Madison, Wisconsin.

Also remember three guys on I've Got A Secret TV show years ago. They were from Walla Walla and their names were: Dick Dick, Tom Tom and Gary Gary or something like that.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2023, 7:30 PM
We really like the sweet Walla Walla's!

Larry Frank
04-26-2023, 7:37 PM
Can not wait for the Vidalia onions to show up here. I love to cook them on the grill

Jim Becker
04-26-2023, 8:08 PM
Vidalias are wonderful and amazing. While there are other "sweet" onions that are available to me year round, if I see an actual vidalia, it gets bought.

Dave Zellers
04-26-2023, 9:34 PM
they're the champagne of onions....:D

Ha! Good one.

Lawrence Duckworth
04-26-2023, 10:06 PM
Ha! Good one.

Thanks Dave.....tough crowd tonight. :D

Stan Calow
04-27-2023, 8:23 AM
Shriners and Boy Scouts around here used to sell Vidalia's seasonally as fund raisers. Now they show up in regular groceries. I saw one of those cooking shows on TV in which they said cooking onions causes a bunch of chemical reactions that pretty much erase the sweetness component of Vidalia's so that they are best used raw.

Jim Becker
04-27-2023, 9:09 AM
Stan, cooking them "low and slow" can help a lot...you get the softening desired without the negatives of higher heat cooking. Honestly, this works well for all formats of onions when cooking is indicated. (Same for mushrooms with or without onions)

Warren Lake
04-27-2023, 3:41 PM
sweet onions just went into the buckwheat soup. Also tried a red cabbage for a change but not so keen it just looks bizarre in there. Vidalias are a sweet onion so what is the difference between the two. Ill have to ask at the store though likely get better info here most of the time. Walla walla sounds like they are from Hawaii.

Derek Meyer
04-27-2023, 5:31 PM
If you are in the Central Washington area, when Walla Walla Sweets are in season you can drive on Highway 26 east of Othello, and pick as many as you want off the side of the road. They truck so many on that road that they are literally falling off the trucks as they drive.

Kent A Bathurst
04-27-2023, 7:02 PM
Vidalia are the real deal. There are others that are good but not the same. Breakfast was bagel, lox, capers and lots of thin sliced vidalias.

I just saw there was a planned site maintenance. I did not know about that

I assumed I could not get on because the huge interest in Vidalia Onions had clogged the pipeline

Jim Koepke
04-27-2023, 8:08 PM
Walla walla sounds like they are from Hawaii.

They are grown in the Walla Walla Valley of southeast Washington and northeast Oregon.

Hawaii has their own sweet onion:

Grown in the shadows of Haleakala, a long-dormant volcano on the island of Maui, Maui Sweet Onions are among the sweetest in the world. Known for their smooth, mild flavor and juicy texture, this versatile vegetable is used by professional chefs and home cooks alike for roasting, grilling, frying and much more.

jtk

Jack Frederick
04-28-2023, 11:09 AM
In ‘77 I was a welder working on a shut-down at the 100N nuke out in the Hanford area of SE WA. We were on 7/12’s. In the Hogger (lunchroom), Bill a very senior local hand was at a table peeling what I thought was an apple. it slipped out of his hand, fell to the table and split apart. I asked what he was eating and he responded a WW Sweet giving me a qtr. Any onion I had ever seen growing up in NY would have blown your head off, but this, mmmm, sublime.
Bill went on to tell me of his family history in the area. Many of the farmers in the area were granted property as veterans of WWI. He said that the Native Americans tribes used to winter in the Columbia Basin as it had a micro climate that was a bit less harsh than surrounding areas as the Columbia wraps around that section of the State. His father did quite well on the place as the climate allowed the soft fruit to ripen ahead of other areas allowing him to get to the Seattle/Portland market a couple weeks ahead of surrounding areas.1942 or so rolls around and a Capt in an Army car drives up with a check telling his Dad that the family had 10 days to vacate the property as it was about to become a part of the Manhattan Project. His Dad said, “Give me three weeks to get my crop in and you can keep your money.” The Capt said, “10 Days.” And they were off the place never to return as Hanford became nuclear central. Today, the waste leaks into the Columbia and all the nukes are shut down.

Larry Frank
04-28-2023, 7:45 PM
I bought Vidalia onions from the Shriners on the way home today. It was $10 for a bag. They will be on hamburgers this weekend.

Michael Drew
04-28-2023, 8:43 PM
We get them here, all the way up in Alaska. Shriners bring a few pallets of them here to my home town. As mentioned earlier, they do not keep long, and when we get them, they are already half way to being too old. It's the only time of the year I eat onion rings, as I do not eat fried food, but I make an exception with the Vidalia's. I also make a lot of French onion soup with them, it's terrific. Good excuse to grill a steak too, with carnalized mushrooms and onions..... When you have a bag of them, and not much time to eat them, you end up making all kinds of things.

Jim Koepke
04-29-2023, 12:21 AM
Here is something for all of us who love onions > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-aWT2wMF10

jtk

Kent A Bathurst
04-29-2023, 9:17 AM
Here is something for all of us who love onions > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-aWT2wMF10

jtk

Jim - reading your posts for lo these many years, I had a certain mental image of you.

I confess - that image has now been adjusted.

Zachary Hoyt
04-29-2023, 9:30 AM
I am also a frequent onion cooker and eater, but I don't mind a little bit of irreverent onion music. Here's a sadder one, while we're on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Jndkyunv8

Kent A Bathurst
04-29-2023, 10:15 AM
You guys crack me up.

Nicely done. Nicely, nicely

Rick Potter
04-29-2023, 12:04 PM
Ewwww. That one was a widdle too much to listen to past the first chorus, but it did lead me down the rabbit hole of watching 'wayback TV' and 15 minutes of a failed, never sold, sitcom about Lil Abner and Dogpatch.

For that, I will never forgive you.

Rich Konopka
05-07-2023, 7:42 AM
Made some Oklahoma Onion burgers with Vidalias last weekend. They are the best onions by far.

Kent A Bathurst
05-07-2023, 4:54 PM
Made some Oklahoma Onion burgers with Vidalias last weekend. They are the best onions by far.

Never heard of that burger before. Went to the goog. Yum. Thanks, Atlanta bro.

Had yet another breakfast of bread, mayo and Vidalia. Gotta dig in while they last.

Rich Konopka
05-07-2023, 6:36 PM
They’re fantastic burgers. My only advice is to use a mandolin and slice up them Vidalia onions as thin as possible and pile them high.

Kent A Bathurst
05-08-2023, 12:55 PM
Good grooming tip to save bandaids