PDA

View Full Version : ProBoard website hosting: Is it good?

Bob Weisner
01-30-2006, 10:58 AM
I was thinking of starting my own website and saw something from Proboard. Does anyone have any experience with it and what is your opinion of it?

Thanks,

Jeff Sudmeier
01-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Bob,

I have never used Proboard or heard of them. However, a lot of my buddies and I all use GoDaddy.com. They are the cheapest I have seen with the highest site up time. I really like them.

No affiliation other than hosting our business site there...

Scott Loven
01-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I use godaddy also, never had a problem in 5 years.
Scott
www.vmtw.com

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I use Myhosting.com and have been equally happy as others are with godaddy and alternatives. 1+1 has been advertizing some very attractive rates, too.

Jim Young
01-30-2006, 4:31 PM
I use godaddy and have been very happy with them. Don't know anything about others.

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2006, 4:33 PM
I use BlueHost.com......Great folks and wonderful service for a very fair price.

<B>Look Out!!!!!! The Clock is TICKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</b>

Vaughn McMillan
01-30-2006, 4:56 PM
Previously used (and liked) MyHosting.com, but switched to 1 and 1 Web Hosting because their prices were the lowest I could find. I've been happy with 1 and 1, but I liked the "Control Panel" provided by MyHosting.com better. (Not enough better to pay twice the monthly cost, though.)

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 5:48 PM
Vaughn, my latest site at MyHosting.com is 5 bucks a month for a basic Linux account. (toscax.us) I was going to convert my other site to that since I have absolutely no need for Windows and FrontPage facilities for my sites, but absentmindedly missed the annual renewal timing, so I'll do it next year. I pay annually as it gets an extra month free for each site.

But 1+1 does also include the domain costs which is nice for individuals just starting out.

Gil Mitchell
01-30-2006, 8:31 PM
not trying to hijack the thread but which one would you recommend for the computer illiterate

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 9:02 PM
Gil, some of the hosting services will provide a basic site builder application, but the capabilities are usually limited, including the number of pages it will produce. There are some easy to use software packages available to build web sites, even if you are not terribly comfortable with computers. Or...you could find some kid in the neighborhood to do it for a box of Snickers or something... LOL! ('Just joking...about the Snickers. They will likely want money) :) Seriously, you can probably do it with just a bit of help to get you started.

Andy Hoyt
01-31-2006, 12:11 AM
My current web host just went belly up, and I asked this same question a month or so ago. The same guys that have posted here posted the same answers in my thread. Cut and paste wizards one and all!

Anyway, I looked at all of them and ultimately selected 1and1.com just this morning. This was based on recommendations from Vaughn, and some local friends. Great prices, they speak english, and they are sending me the latest version of Fusion.

Fusion is a robust WYSIWYG site builder that was a perfect choice for me a year ago when I first launched my site. Was up and running lickety split. I still can't spell hmlt, and it doesn't matter.

Jim Becker
01-31-2006, 11:36 AM
I still can't spell hmlt, and it doesn't matter.

Ummm...yea...that would be HTML, Andy... :D :p

Vaughn McMillan
01-31-2006, 2:19 PM
Vaughn, my latest site at MyHosting.com is 5 bucks a month for a basic Linux account. (toscax.us) I was going to convert my other site to that since I have absolutely no need for Windows and FrontPage facilities for my sites, but absentmindedly missed the annual renewal timing, so I'll do it next year. I pay annually as it gets an extra month free for each site.

But 1+1 does also include the domain costs which is nice for individuals just starting out.
Looks like their prices have come down a bit since I was with them. IIRC, when I switched over to 1 and 1, I got about 4 times the space for about half the cost of MyHosting. I'm using FrontPage (reluctantly, sometimes) and one of the MS hosting packages.

- Vaughn

Bob Weisner
02-04-2006, 7:55 PM
How are the places that offer free website hosting?

Andy Hoyt
02-04-2006, 8:08 PM
Ummm...yea...that would be HTML, Andy... :D :p
Yeah well in my head I alternately see Hot Omlette or Hot BLT, and it's all downhill from there.

Thought a follow up might be helpful here.

Lesson Number One on the switch was learning not to do it in the middle of an aerial assult on Northern Idaho.

Lesson Number Two is to strive to keep your domain registrar and webhost one and the same.

Lesson Number Three is to initiate the switch and then not worry about it for two days. That's how long it took to propagate. That's how long my website was out of commission.

Lesson Number Four is to archive your shopping cart, if you have one that's a plugged in module.

I learned the hard way on each point. Nuts!

But now that it's mostly all back together, I am amazed at how much faster the 1and1 server is than my old one. Was a frustrating two days, but I'm pretty happy now. Except for that shopping cart thing.

Steve Ash
02-04-2006, 8:26 PM
Another nod for godaddy...I just got my website going, even though I am still adding and subtracting from it.

Jim Becker
02-04-2006, 8:30 PM
How are the places that offer free website hosting?

Many of them are "annoying" in that they feature ads and pop-ups...which means they really are not "free". They are often limited in what you can do to make your site your own to some extent or another. I think they are fine for a small personal site, but they can be off-putting to visitors.

$5.00 a month for many of the popular hosting plans isn't bad at all, especially considering they also "set you free" from your ISP for email since you have your own domain and have a whole lot of storage available. 1+1's plan looks like it also includes the cost of the domain name...which is about a ten buck a year savings. (I already own my domain names for the next 8-10 years, so there would be no incentive for me to switch.