PDA

View Full Version : Weekend project [pic]updated project done

Fred Voorhees
01-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Spent most of the weekend fabricating this wall shelf unit that will go behind the bar when it is finished. Have been planning this project for a while and finally got around to it. Just shy of six feet wide by 3 feet tall, it will hold a sizeable mirror in the middle portion where the frame is. The bottom, the shelves and the mirror framing are red oak while the rest (shelf uprights and the top are 3/4" oak plywood with red oak stripping laminated to the edges. Small oak crown moulding, which I beleive is actually called bed rail or something of that nature, crowns the top of the unit and galley rail compliments the bottom shelf between the uprights. The bottom shelf, as well as the individual shelves feature a beading detail. Still to be done is to attach the t-shaped oak strips shown in front of the unit. These will be used to hang bar-type glasses from the top/inside of the unit in front of the mirror. Once they are attached, I will be applying Waterlox sealer and gloss finish to complete the project and I will update this post with finished pictures when it is hanging in its new home.

Picked up the mirror this morning and got the unit mounted up this afternoon. Still need some things for the shelf unit, just threw some things on them for the heck of it.

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 10:44 AM
'Looks great, Fred!

Bob Noles
01-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Fred,

Looks like a full weekend of enjoyment. Nice job!

Bill Simmeth
01-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Man, that's going to be really nice with the mirror and glasses! Please follow-up with the installed pics!

Byron Trantham
01-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Fred, nice unit. Show some more pics when it's installed. How are you going to hold in place while you screw in place?

Fred Voorhees
01-30-2006, 6:08 PM
Fred, nice unit. Show some more pics when it's installed. How are you going to hold in place while you screw in place?
Byron, it will be a heavy dude once the mirror is in place. I plan on making a paper template of where the 4 - 1/4" x 3 1/2" lag screws holes will be on the unit. That will allow me to "map out" the exact location of where the unit will be mounted on the wall and thusly, drill and tap the holes before even hoisting the unit up into place to mount. With the holes pre-tapped, it will make for the least amount of time that it will need to be supported while it is actually being mounted to the wall. Should go smoothly. Hope to have it in sometime this weekend. More than likely later on Sunday since the wife and I are planning on visiting my mother in Cape May this weekend.

Byron Trantham
01-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Byron, it will be a heavy dude once the mirror is in place. I plan on making a paper template of where the 4 - 1/4" x 3 1/2" lag screws holes will be on the unit. That will allow me to "map out" the exact location of where the unit will be mounted on the wall and thusly, drill and tap the holes before even hoisting the unit up into place to mount. With the holes pre-tapped, it will make for the least amount of time that it will need to be supported while it is actually being mounted to the wall. Should go smoothly. Hope to have it in sometime this weekend. More than likely later on Sunday since the wife and I are planning on visiting my mother in Cape May this weekend.

Fred, take it easy. I agree this one will be a monster to "hold in place.":D

Jerry Olexa
01-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Looking very good, Fred...

Tom Drake
01-31-2006, 6:43 AM
Nice work Fred. Be sure to post more pics when you get it installed.

Mark J Bachler
01-31-2006, 7:03 AM
Very Nice. Must be time to belly-up & do a test run.

Frank Eppler
01-31-2006, 7:09 AM
Looks great Fred. Can't wait to see it all finished.:)

Frank

Fred Voorhees
02-02-2006, 4:32 PM
bumped for the sake of review :D

David Duke
02-02-2006, 4:39 PM
Nice looking wall unit Fred.