PDA

View Full Version : Bomb BS - Rant

Jim DeLaney
01-30-2006, 10:03 AM
All this "bomb" stuff is getting a bit irritating.

Seems that about half the posts lately have some sort of stupid tag line regarding bombing. It was okay when it was limited to one thread, but it seems to have gotten out of hand, and wandered into pretty much every forum and thread.

Can we just get back to woodworking - without all the borderline bomb threats in the tag lines? They're really not funny any more.

David Wilson
01-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Jim
I agree completely

Jeff Sudmeier
01-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Just wait... Be patient... it is all fun....

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2006, 10:45 AM
I agree wholeheartedly!

Travis Stinson
01-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Must be something in the air..............;)

Bill Lewis
01-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Jim,
I think you might just be beating a hornet's nest with a stick. These Turners have something up their sleeve. So give it some time and it'll be over soon.

Steve Clardy
01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Yea. Patience. It'll be over soon. I know the secret:D

Steve Ash
01-30-2006, 1:02 PM
I understand what you are saying, but as a wise man once said "things are not always as they appear"

Be patient, things will be back to normal soon.....;)

Bart Leetch
01-30-2006, 5:07 PM
Bombardier to navigator I have the helm.:D

Mike Ramsey
01-30-2006, 5:34 PM
I wonder why Ken's agreeing with those two fellers at the top?????

Steve Clardy
01-30-2006, 5:57 PM
I wonder why Ken's agreeing with those two fellers at the top?????

;) :D :D :D ;) ;)

Rob Bourgeois
01-30-2006, 5:57 PM
ITs more than annoying....

We cant bad mouth a company for poor service...but this constant spamming of every thread is allowed..someone tell me when this is over so I can come back.

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2006, 6:22 PM
Be patience fellows. It is all in fun and will be worth the wait.

Theodore Can'tSki
01-30-2006, 7:06 PM
It's getting my man panties in a bunch too. What a bunch of amateurs these so called bombers are!

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2006, 7:07 PM
Just another day or so and it'll all be over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Promise!!!!

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2006, 7:08 PM
It's getting my man panties in a bunch too. What a bunch of amateurs these so called bombers are!

Well Theodore....I know you ain't real since yo name ain't real.....

your post will stand until all this BLOWS OVER!!!!! :D

Mark Cothren
01-30-2006, 7:31 PM

Steve Clardy
01-30-2006, 7:34 PM
Ya bunch of big babies....:D Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

You guys get your shorts outta a wad and stay tuned...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D

Lee DeRaud
01-30-2006, 7:36 PM
Good gawd. They talk about how people in southern California are crazy, but you don't see this stuff happening out here...

Steve Ash
01-30-2006, 7:38 PM
Well I removed mine so as not to offend anyone.....tick...tick... heh heh!

Keith Burns
01-30-2006, 7:55 PM
All I can say is......................
THE MISSLE HAS BEEN LAUNCHED AND IT CANNOT BE RECALLED. THIS EXPLOSION WILL BE ONE OF EPIC PROPORTIONS. HIDE AND WATCH AS IT IS ALL FOR FUN.

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2006, 7:57 PM
Yea. Patience. It'll be over soon. I know the secret:D

Sssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Clardy? Shut yo mouff boy!!!!!!!!:p :D

Steve Clardy
01-30-2006, 7:59 PM
Sssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Clardy? Shut yo mouff boy!!!!!!!!:p :D

:D :D :D ;)

Andy Hoyt
01-30-2006, 8:43 PM
Is this "Shock and Awe"?

Or "Aw shucks and ooooooooh"?

Scott Parks
01-30-2006, 8:55 PM
I feel like a caveman in the dinosaur age. Am I just stupid, what's the bomb thing? Its beyond annoying.......

Jim DeLaney
01-30-2006, 8:57 PM
Is this "Shock and Awe"?

Or "Aw shucks and ooooooooh"?

Neither - it's childish drivel.

Bombing - however funny some people seem to think it is - is a very serious and scary thing.

So many of the participants here claim to be so concerned about our troops and their well-being. Our troops, my former 'business associates (USMC, 1966~1988) among them, are living in daily fear of bombing, or IED's. Think any of them would think this drivel is funny or entertaining?

Some subjects just aren't humorous.

Shelley Bolster
01-30-2006, 9:18 PM
Jim, I respect your opinion and understand your concern for what seems to most of us "flat" woodworkers as annoying and offensive. I am like Steve, I know the reason behind all of this although not personally involved. Please take my word for it.....the outcome will be good even if the enthusiasm of a few have gotten a little out of control. (IMO IMO IMO.......hopefully that will prevent anyone one from suing me for expressing my opinions....sheesh! ) The turners are definitely a breed to themselves and I mean that in the best way possible. They never seem to have a harsh word to say to one another, never get into disputes and always encourage and support each other. Crazy you bet - not a doubt in my mind! :eek:
If I could, perhaps I could make a suggestion. When posting on other forums but the Turning Forum, how about you guys loosing the "signature" with all the Kabooms involved. Those of us that do not understand what is behind it are getting offended and upset. :)

Larry Klaaren
01-30-2006, 9:58 PM
IMHO, I don't get it but so what? At first it was a little annoying, but I just didn't read the tag lines. Just did a mental spam delete. That was about it. Lately, it's been kind of entertaining.

I haven't seen one malicious thing in any of those posts. In fact, they've been pretty graceful in the face of some criticism.

I've used flea bombs, been to movies that are bombs, been to movies that were "the bomb" (which is good), and bombed out many times. I think it's what you make it.

I've heard it may blow over soon.

Larry

I was going to put a picture of a blonde bombshell here, but that's not something I want to put in a search engine's entry box. A couple of little people use this computer.

Steve Ash
01-30-2006, 10:02 PM
another option.....

I believe anybody can go into their User CP and have signatures turned off, that way they will not have to look at annoying signature lines.

Christopher Pine
01-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Ya bunch of big babies....:D Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

You guys get your shorts outta a wad and stay tuned...
While I have no idea what this is all about... I really don't mind it.. WIll find out soon sounds like. For the one who said let him know when it's over so he can come back... I agree to not tell him if you all do too. :)
Oie I can see my message delete light is on at the moderators desk.. :)

Nop kidding all lighten up it is just a few extra pixels on a screen nothing to lose sleep over!

Chris

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Not to worry everyone. If I didn't know the reason behind all this? The other moderators and myself would be busy with working on the threads, posts, and notifying the various "offenders" for causing such a ruckus. Trust me, it honest, good ol fun for a due cause that we will ALL soon see!!!!!:D

Scott Parks
01-30-2006, 10:45 PM
The annoying part is not knowing what this is all about... Guess its a secrect cult, and I don't have the decoder ring.

Mark Cothren
01-30-2006, 11:03 PM

Robert Mickley
01-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Hey Jim, we're neighbors. Imaging that

Bruce Smith
01-31-2006, 6:59 AM
If this is what you enjoy then perhaps all the JOKERS should start a forum of their own, instead of polluting the creek with this gargage. I come here daily because Iam interested in the wookworking side of this forum, my 2 cents worth.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-31-2006, 7:15 AM
Life is good, life is really, REALLY good, the fact that you guys can all get together here and whine and moan about some words written in fun and jest on a woodworking forum, means, to me, that you are all living good productive lives. You have the time and the freedom to do so!

God Bless You all! :D

PS, if you are offened by my invocation of the blessing of God upon you, well, you could go to hell ;) :D

Glenn Clabo
01-31-2006, 7:34 AM
I'm always amazed at what people get upset about these days! Deep breath everyone...this is about something called fun...and it is all good. Don't let this cause you to be upset...when you find out what it is all about you'll be embarrassed

Doug Jones
01-31-2006, 8:20 AM
With all due respect to the members that are included with this secret code and messaging.
For whatever reason, it offends and/or irritates other members. If something offended you, wouldn't you have issues with it and ask for it to cease. All I'm saying is be respectful of others request. Or at least let them in on the "secret" so they don't feel alienated.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2006, 8:24 AM
Can't let them in on the secret! :) If we did it would be ruined.

Don't worry, we aren't exploding the forum, we are just doing something really fun.

Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE!! I promise you that the end justifies the mean in this case!! Just let those involved have some fun with it, when you find out what is going on you will realize what a wonderful forum you belong to!! It really is a great thing that is going on.

Also, everyone that has been a member here for a little while knows that the moderators wouldn't let this go on if they didn't know the root of it.

Out of respect for those that are offended by the sigs, I have decreased the size on mine.

One final note, when this is over, the sigs for everyone will be changed, when the sigs are changed, it changes the old posts as well, so they won't hang around.

I think I speak for everyone, that none of us are making light of what our service men and women are going through, it's nothing like that! :)

Now please, just let us have the fun for the next day or two and don't ruin the great thing that is happening.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-31-2006, 8:30 AM
Boy Jeff...I'm hoping it's fun!:(

01-31-2006, 8:33 AM
With all due respect to the members that are included with this secret code and messaging.
For whatever reason, it offends and irritates other members. If something offended you, wouldn't you have issues with it and ask for it to cease. All I'm saying is be respectful of others request. Or at least let them in on the "secret" so they don't feel alienated.

No need to YELL Doug... :D

Well then, if I'm "Offended" that you are offended by what is going on, does that mean that YOU have to stop being offended...? ;) :D

......with all due respect...... :o

Come on, relax, this is not something to get all upset about.

I find many things on this and other forums "Offensive" I find the bad spelling and VERY bad grammar that is on most online forums offensive.
I'm not saying that my spelling or grammar is that good, but I work at it, I make an effort, and I've had to, all of my life. This is a pet peeve of MINE, and I'm sure many others, BUT it does not get in the way of me enjoying the various sites, or understanding and communicating with a huge variety of woodworkers from all over the world, that is the adult way that I deal with it.

You have every right to be offended, I support your right to be offended, will you support mine to be offended at your being offended at such a innocent thing? ;) :D :D

Have a great day!!

Tyler Howell
01-31-2006, 8:39 AM
The annoying part is not knowing what this is all about... Guess its a secrect cult, and I don't have the decoder ring.
Scott you have to know the hand shake! But if I told you, you'd get blown to bits.;)

Doug Jones
01-31-2006, 8:45 AM
No need to YELL Doug... :D

I wasn't yelling,, I was speaking over the extremely load,,,,,,,,

EXPLOSION

Jeff Sudmeier
01-31-2006, 8:52 AM
:eek: :rolleyes:
Boy Jeff...I'm hoping it's fun!:(

Ken if it's not fun, I will personally come visit you and make it right!(fun) :cool: :p ;) :D :o :)

Jim Dunn
01-31-2006, 8:58 AM
I hoping it'll be fun for everyone, here and on all the forums. My 02

Don Bergren
01-31-2006, 3:23 PM
I haven't found it to be offensive. I don't have a clue as to what it's about, but I certainly know what it "isn't about" based on the players and what I know of them from reading their posts in the past.

Sometimes you just have to let people have a little fun. And the fact that they were just having some fun seemed pretty obvious to me.

Vaughn McMillan
01-31-2006, 5:13 PM
The bomb's been dropped and happily received in the Turner's Forum...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30423 ;)

- Vaughn

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2006, 8:20 PM
Now you guys can calm down now that Ken Fitzgerald has gotten his surprise.:cool:

02-01-2006, 12:46 AM
So now that this is all over, and you all see (we all, as I was not "In" on it either) that this was all good light hearted fun, and done by a bunch of very good hearted folks, does any one have anything to say about the whole ticking bomb thing now?

Just curious is all......

Have a great day!

Frank Chaffee
02-01-2006, 1:09 AM
Stu,
Frankly, since Andy is one of those spinny guys, I was always thinking that the tics, and then the tocks in his signature line were the sounds of a rough square blank contacting some type of tool used for turning wood. Once I found out it was the timer on a bomb I sought shelter right away.
I can see why some of us were disturbed by the image, but the Moderators did what they could to reassure us without blowing the secret. Ken knew something was up and he was still super-surprised!!! when it landed, so all was good.
Andy has really got to be complimented for putting this together the way he did.
Good turning of events Andy.
Frank

Bill Lewis
02-01-2006, 7:03 AM
I still don't get it, Did Ken not know he was getting a lathe? Did those turners pitch in and buy him one? What gives, the thread doesn't really offer any explanations. Though, I'll admit, after a couple of pages of congradulatory posts I gave up reading it. How about a quick summary?

I'm not sure if this was the "Bomb" or the "Great Pumpkin".

Robert Mickley
02-01-2006, 7:14 AM
I still don't get it, Did Ken not know he was getting a lathe? Did those turners pitch in and buy him one?

No and Yes

Jeff Sudmeier
02-01-2006, 7:24 AM
I still don't get it, Did Ken not know he was getting a lathe? Did those turners pitch in and buy him one? What gives, the thread doesn't really offer any explanations. Though, I'll admit, after a couple of pages of congradulatory posts I gave up reading it. How about a quick summary?

I'm not sure if this was the "Bomb" or the "Great Pumpkin".

Bill, Ken didn't know that he was going to get the lathe. It all started out with a little game of signature tag: Andy saying Ken will get a lathe, Ken resisting. The turners decided to get together and throw in money on a lathe to get Ken turning faster. Each person with the "rude" sig lines in the past few days contributed to the fund.

It was one of those moments that makes you proud to be a member of this forum! For people who have never met to pitch in to make someones day is truely special and fun! :)

Now someone challange me to get that General Cabinet saw I have been wanting :)

Keith Christopher
02-01-2006, 7:31 AM
Bill, Ken didn't know that he was going to get the lathe. It all started out with a little game of signature tag: Andy saying Ken will get a lathe, Ken resisting. The turners decided to get together and throw in money on a lathe to get Ken turning faster. Each person with the "rude" sig lines in the past few days contributed to the fund.

It was one of those moments that makes you proud to be a member of this forum! For people who have never met to pitch in to make someones day is truely special and fun! :)

Now someone challange me to get that General Cabinet saw I have been wanting :)

I completely agree, you don't see things like this happen much and it shows the power of the team _vs_ the individual. Many hands make light the load. I'm glad Ken got his lathe and now he NEEDS to spin some wood and post some pics !

Andy Hoyt
02-01-2006, 8:34 AM
.... How about a quick summary?....
Page 6 Bill

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30393

Tyler Howell
02-01-2006, 9:29 AM
So now that this is all over, and you all see (we all, as I was not "In" on it either) that this was all good light hearted fun, and done by a bunch of very good hearted folks, does any one have anything to say about the whole ticking bomb thing now?

Have a great day!
A great gesture on the part of fellow WW and a lot of fun to watch unfold. Was thinking and I brought this up as a the bomb was being wired for detonation. How about a scholarship fund for training, tools, or supplies for a WW or wanna be WW. that just can't get started due to $$$$.
We've witness some fellow creekers that have been wiped out by fire, flood and family disaster. This is a large, powerful, and talented group.
We could do a lot.
Your thoughts please????

P.S. Ken I'll be expecting a boat load of freedom pens and pix of such:mad: :D .

John Shuk
02-01-2006, 9:35 AM
A great gesture on the part of fellow WW and a lot of fun to watch unfold. Was thinking and I brought this up as a the bomb was being wired for detonation. How about a scholarship fund for training, tools, or supplies for a WW or wanna be WW. that just can't get started due to $$$$.
We've witness some fellow creekers that have been wiped out by fire, flood and family disaster. This is a large, powerful, and talented group.
We could do a lot.
Your thoughts please????

P.S. Ken I'll be expecting a boat load of freedom pens and pix of such:mad: :D .
I'm all in! A sunshine fund of sorts.

Vaughn McMillan
02-01-2006, 5:08 PM
...Each person with the "rude" sig lines in the past few days contributed to the fund...

Not all the contributors played the sig game. ;)

- Vaughn

Steve Clardy
02-01-2006, 5:13 PM
Not all the contributors played the sig game. ;)

- Vaughn

Yes. Not ALL:eek: ;) :D :D

John Bailey
02-01-2006, 5:55 PM
That's right, not all. I was busy taking a nap.:o

John

Dar Lounsbury
02-01-2006, 8:11 PM
OUCH. Don't sweat the small stuff and it is ALL small stuff. Relax, it just might be amusing.

Doug Jones
02-01-2006, 8:19 PM
, does any one have anything to say about the whole ticking bomb thing now?

Have a great day!
Yes, I have something to say,,,, why is it still ticking?

Make the voices go away!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis Peacock
02-01-2006, 11:05 PM
OK fellers....the game is over. Let's stop kicking the ball around and let's get back to woodworking. It was fun while it lasted and who knows who could be the NEXT victim. :D