PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2006, 9:18 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone and we got some very much needed rain!!!!! Yea!!!!!!

<b>I got to spend time in my shop this weekend!!!!!!!!</b> :D

Spent some time helping a local guy plane some red cedar that he's putting in his house for a room. A lot of nice wood!!!!

Spend some time on the lathe turning a couple of things I have been wanting to get done. Joseph (my 10 year old son) and I processed and sealed about 32 bowl blanks on Friday to get my yard cleaned up around the shop. I still have several large chunks of Pecan to make into bowl blanks and I know that Jim Becker's name is on one of those Pecan bowl blanks and Joh Hart's name is on a Silver Poplar crotch that will be soon heading their way.

Spent some time Saturday teaching Joseph some about turning bowls. Thanks to Mark Cothren, Joseph has now turned 3 bowls (with some help of course) out of some nice and wet Maple. Thanks Mark. It was nice teaching him about turning on some wood that is soft enough to be forgiving while teaching him. I had to build a 9" tall platform for him to stand on while turning, but he sure does like working in the shop!!! Shoot, he's already planning to build a shop with his house inside part of it so he won't have to drive to work when he's older!!!!! Yes....I'm a proud Papa!!!!!!

Spent Sunday tending to the LOML as she was running a fever and bad soar throat and tending to my youngest son since he's been sick for almost a week now. Thanks to our new "medical coverage at work", we can't afford to take them to the doctor until we get our deductible out of the way and that's only $3,200......So paying out right for my son's doctor's visit is out of the question for now. Gotta love companies wanting to save "their" pockets!!!!

Back to work today. So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Steve Ash
01-30-2006, 9:25 AM
Well, my son ran a dedicated electrical line for my mini max T3 that I recently purchased, so I watched and learned from him. We also glued up some legs for his new post bed we are working on.

Also did a bit of cleaning, which is never ending....

Matt Meiser
01-30-2006, 9:38 AM
Saturday we drove over to Angola, IN to meet Mike Evertsen so that he could buy my sliding table. In the evening I spent a couple hours in the shop putting the lighting in my finishing are back up and doing some general cleanup and arranging. Sunday I pretty much did nothing all day as the weather was nasty and I just didn't feel like doing anything.

John Branam
01-30-2006, 9:42 AM
Well this weekend we moved into the new house, so I have spent most of the weekend moving furniture and upacking boxes. We are all unpacked now and I can start putting the new shop together. I have a basement shop again but a little larger than my 100 sqft old shop, the new shop is 14' x 50', I guess I have to buy more tools to fill it up!

Bart Leetch
01-30-2006, 9:52 AM
Just a small change for the shop. These are Rockler stools and as some may know they come in an off white color with the Rockler name on top. The color show every spec of dirt & looks terrible after a very short time. Sooo I wiped the Rockler name off with some solvent & washed the tops down with some heavy duty cleaner & wiped them down with Denatured Alcohol & sprayed them with a special vinyl spray. These stools have had the legs shortened a little more than 3" to make them comfortable to sit on at the bench.

Larry Fox
01-30-2006, 9:56 AM
This weekend was one of "those" weekends where enough things being in disarray around the shop build up and you just MUST do something about it so;

1) I finished the installation of my MastRSlide sliding TS table (drive-by gloat I suppose). Given the way my TS is setup in the shop, the intrusive nature of this install had a cascading effect.
2) Cleaned up - long overdue.
3) Built a little "shelf" that attaches to my overarm guard to hold the MastRSlide fence when not in use.
4) Built a small wall-box for the right side of the TS to hold all those "things" that accumulate on the right extension table behind the fence.
5) Built a very simple wall-mounted clamp rack for my K-bodies so I don't have to lean them in the corner anymore.
6) Built a jig for putting some eye-candy on a particurally large pantry cabinet face-frame to visually break it up (flutes & rosettes, etc).
7) Sharpened the irons for my #7 and #5.
8) Changed the blades and did some routine maintenance on my planer - long overdue.
9) Made a batch of ZCI's for the TS - also long overdue
10) Late on Sunday planed two 8' long cherry boards which was the perfect topper to a good weekend as planing revealed two truely remarkable boards. Ever get those boards which don't appear all that special and when you dress them they really come to life - these were two of those boards for me. Relatively straight grained, nothing all that special they just have that cherry shimmer, depth and color that make it the wonderful wood that it is.

Anyway, that was my weekend.

Scott Coffelt
01-30-2006, 9:59 AM
Besides the typical weekend chores, I made a couple of rolling tables for my son's play room. They were pretty simple box designs with a top slightly bigger and where made from the favorite wood product of Trading Spaces, MDF. I know, I know, but they serve the function I was looking for ..... cheap playroom furniture, that I will not worry about getting damaged. I still need to paint them. I also got a chance to put the second coat of wipe-on wipe-on finish on my bathroom vanity cabinet. Then it was time to cook the family some dinner, so I was done for the weekend.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Got a shed delivered to a guy about an hour away. We also started on the next one. If we get the weather to hold, I will be taking a day off this week to work on one too.

Jim Fancher
01-30-2006, 10:01 AM
My sons and I went to Rockler to pick up the PC 4212 dovetail jig that I bought last month.

I prepped my EZ Smart rails and base for use. I'm ready to make some sawdust now.

I also ran more base and door casings this weekend. Thank God for air nailers.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I took a long needed rest Saturday doing nothing but a few auctions on ebay. Sunday we went to Tyler to pick up a new machine for the wife to sell (execrise equip.) I rested a little bit Sunday too. No shop time this weekend....next weekend I am going to try and get Jana's table finished...right now the shop's full of bookshelves.

Rick de Roque
01-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Planed all the walnut and cut to rough size for the 2 end tables I'm building for our bedroom. Layed out the boards for the 2 tops and the sides. Will let everything sit for a few days then plane and cut to final size.

Brad Schmid
01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
It was a good weekend in the shop. I got 8 dresser drawers dovetailed, 4 assembled; dresser case shellaced. New kitchen door trim (that I made 2 months ago) installed on 5 doors , new blinds installed in kitchen and dining room, some shop cleanup. All in all, I feel like I accomplished something:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Worked Saturday. Swapped out a 24,000 lb. super-con magnet with a 13,500 lb. super con.

Sunday, relaxed and dug a bunker!:D

Fred Voorhees
01-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Spent quite a bit of time in the shop this weekend constructing a red oak wall shelf unit that I will be hanging on the wall behind the bar in my bar room here at home. The project, still without its final finish, is detailed in another thread. This project has been on the back burner for a while and finally came to the forefront. Not much of anything else besides spending time cruising the internet. Still hoping for some freezing weather for a number of days so that my yard hardens and I can get out to the back forty and split what is left of a big pile of black locust for firewood.

Jim O'Dell
01-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Spent most of Friday chasing a clogged sewer drain, with no luck. Gave up at 2:00, ate lunch, and went on a search for PVC supplier for cyclone, again no solid luck. One more place I've been referred to. We'll try them tomorrow afternoon on the way home from work.
Worked Sat am in the rain, spent the afternoon watching the Star's hockey game. Sunday was playing tree trimmer. Cut 1 big limb off the Willow, then cut 3 small trees down, 2 Elm, 1 fruit bearing Mulberry (why do people plant those against the driveway???? Second house I've owned I've had to chop a fruit bearing Mulberry tree down that hung over where I park my WHITE car:( ) Still a little of the small limbs and twigs for TLOML to bundle up. Now I'm sore. Good thing it's a little slow today here at work! :rolleyes: Jim.

Joe Blankshain
01-30-2006, 10:50 AM
Had very little shop time this weekend as I had a Board of Directors meeting on Friday, followed by catch up time with the LOML. I did manage to work a deal for a new piece of equipment (pictures upon reciept) with one of our fellow creekers who has been in the same business field as I. It is good to know that I am not the only "bit twiddler" in the group. Also, had some coorespondance with other Creekers which lead me to, do as all of us should and make my 2006 contribution this morning.
Have a great week and get out and smell the sawdust.

Don Dean
01-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Moved my new Rikon 18" band saw from pallet to mobile base. Continue to set up my shop, almost done. Have electrician coming Tuesday. Shop should be complete in two weeks. Can't wait to finish and post pics.

Jim O'Dell
01-30-2006, 11:29 AM
delete duplicate post. Sorry! Websense at work said it didn't post! Jim

Andy Hoyt
01-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Sent Operation Tick Tock into its final phase.

Assault craft has reached the IP and is progressing.

Byron Trantham
01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
I spent both days replacing 33 sets of drawer rollers in LOMF sewing table. I originally installed the euro self-closing rollers and since they were only 12" deep she lost a lot of storage. Things got lost in the back of the drawer. Over time I bought the 12" full extension rollers. Finally got around to installing them. What a pain. I had to twist into postions I didn't think I could do - 33 times! She is thrilled; I'm in tub with lots of hot water!:D

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 12:01 PM
It was an eclectic weekend. Friday, after a business meeting in downtown Phila, I met the girls at the Franklin Institute and had a nice afternoon. Saturday, we did a little "window shopping" at a local attraction, visited with some friends and generally chilled out. Sunday, after Alison returned home from a jaunt to the supermarket, I headed out to the shop to do some more work on a natural edge vase (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29912&page=2) I started last weekend and then worked on a baby doll cradle project for and with my eldest daughter (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30308). So...I got to use a large percentage of the tools in my shop for a change!

Have a nice week!

David Duke
01-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Finished up the WWing part of my cradle project, this has been a really exciting project for me, aside being a labor of love it is one of the first pieces I've built that is my own design, can't wait to post pics and see what everyone else thinks about it. I hope to begin finish work this week if the weather holds.

Steve Clardy
01-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Delivered a finished TV, vcr stand.
Delivered a fireplace surround, was going to install it, but with the rain, didn't want to track water through the new house, so left it and drove over to a previous kitchen cab job I did and bid a couple of bookcase and TV cabinets for them. Then back home and started another unfinished cabinet job.
Worked and piddled in the shop sunday.

Tyler Howell
01-30-2006, 1:27 PM
Social butterfly this weekend. Hit the local Science museum for the current IMAX flick, Spa day on Saturday. Lots of progress on my remuttling projects.
Sunday morning brunch with sailing friends, Creeker visit with Russ and family, dinner with mom and more home projects.

Eddie Watkins
01-30-2006, 1:35 PM
Spent Saturday scalping my yard and cleaning out flower beds. We did get about an 1/4" of rain Saturday morning. I worked in the shop yesterday on an entertainment center for LOML. Granddaughter visited and spent some time with her. She's 3 and in hyper drive all the time!:eek: LOML and I have to tag team to stay up. :)

Chris Dodge
01-30-2006, 2:16 PM
Glued up and sanded some walnut boards for a bathroom cabinet I am making for an Interior Designer. She is very picky about the wood used so I had to buy twice as much wood as I would normally need for a project like this. But she's paying for it and I get to keep the leftover shorts. Not a bad deal.

Continued work on the display cabinet for an antiques dealer. It is coming along very nicely. I built the bottom portion last week and am now building the top portion, which is mostly glass. She is in no hurry so I just work on it a little at a time.

Also visited a client in LA and will be starting on a ten foot long oak cabinet with a space for a refridgerator, pull out shelves for glasses, and a a couple of legal sized file drawers for his office. I will also make three floating shelves for him to put all of his financial awards on. I guess this guy is pretty successful.

Busy weekend!

Chip Olson
01-30-2006, 2:42 PM
I actually managed to spend a good part of Sunday in the shop for once (and a bit of Saturday), thanks in large part to LOML generously volunteering to take the kidlet despite being home with him during the week all the time already.

Anyway, the thing I accomplished was most of a foldout outfeed table for the TS. I'm going to be cutting up a lot of plywood for the kitchen cabinets, but a permanent outfeed table wasn't an option in my tiny little shop. Most of the time was spent fabricating the hinge mounts and aligning the table before installing the hinges. Only thing I irreparably messed up was making the cutout for the splitter/blade guard twice as big as it needed to be, but I can live with that. Now it needs legs (which will fold up for storage) and miter slots. Pix etc. when it's finished. (Speaking of finishing, can I get away with finishing just the top? It's 3/4" Baltic birch plywood.)

Sam Chambers
01-30-2006, 2:44 PM
Went to the Atlanta Woodworking Show on Saturday with my 11 year old step son. It was his first trip, and he really enjoyed it. I brought home a few new toys:

- Bosch 1590EVSK jigsaw
- Shop Fox 9" G9851 Quick Release Vise
- Henry Taylor 3/8" Bowl Gouge

And a few more should arrive this week, courtesy of Lee Valley:

- Veritas Apron Plane
- Veritas 4" Double Square
- Veritas Super-Hard Scrapers (set of 4)

I went to the show intending to buy a block plane. Both Lee Valley and Lie-Neilsen were there, which allowed some hands-on evaluation. I had been focusing on the standard block planes, but I just fell in love with the Veritas apron plane.

So, I bought a bunch of stuff, but didn't get to play with them. Not yet, anyway.

Keel McDonald
01-30-2006, 3:23 PM
Started, and completed, a soundboard table for our new church. I will post some pics once installed. It was one of those projects that went exactly as projected, unlike most of my projects that end up costing an arm and a leg more than I intend.

Ed Lang
01-30-2006, 3:34 PM
Saturday was spend with a guest in the shop. He lays floors and brings me lots of wood. So when he asked to get my help building a cue rack for his new room addition I was happy to be able to do so. He brought wormy oak flooring and that is what it was made from. No finish, he will do that at his house.

(Picture will go here)

Sunday afternoon I was able to finish getting the vacuum lines run in the shop and all connected. I then cut my first box on the ShopBot using ONLY vacuum to hold it to the spoilboard. This is a big step for me and I am very happy with it! Just placed an order with AllStar Adhesives for mor gasket material.... I think this vacuum thing is going to work well!

(picture will go here)

Ed Breen
01-30-2006, 5:10 PM
It was a busy weekend. Up early, out to wally world and bought a floor steamer. This is our 3rd steamer. When you live on adirt road in the country and have a ten and 4 year old in the house you have to stay up on the rugs. LOML and I spent the day steaming and cleaning. Late on Saturday I got out to the shop to look at my old iron things.
Sunday started to cut some red oak in preparation for a grandfathers clock, but then decided that even though I've got enough oak it's not all 1&1/8 thick. But I do have a lot of cherry in that thickness. Told SWMBO what I thought i"d do and she said, "when you get out of the hospital you are not going to be standing up for a while. Clock is on the back burner. Spent the rest of the day building jigs for the band saw. A good weekend!:D
Ed

Tom Drake
01-31-2006, 7:39 AM
Spent most of the weekend in the shop with my 15 YO grandson. He aquired an old wood lathe that we're cleaning up and restoring. Hope to have it finished in another week or so.

Hank Knight
01-31-2006, 11:07 AM
I spent the weekend dimensioning rough oak lumber to build a studio easel for my daughter who is an artist in D.C. The rough work is over and now the fun begins. All of the hardware arrived from Lee Valley and Rockler this week, and I can't wait to get started. I've never built an easel before.

Randy Looney
01-31-2006, 10:33 PM
I worked Saturday and spent all day Sunday finishing the last pieces to a Oak End Table I am building for some friends. This is a matching piece to a Coffee Table that I have Ebonized and waiting on the finish to cure. Both of these pieces are made from Pallet Wood I have recovered.

A bad day in the shop is better than a good day at work. Way to much over time.