PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 inch round over router bit.

kevin nee
04-21-2023, 8:19 AM
I have a Katina 1/2 inch round over router bit with a 1/2 inch shank. I have been very happy with this bit. Now it is starting to burn the wood. I am sending it out to be sharpened, two weeks until it will be back. I need another bit ASAP.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Quality/Value re my goal.
Thanks in advance, Kevin

John Pendery
04-21-2023, 8:32 AM
I use whiteside router bits for the most part and get good results. Maybe take a look at their catalog.

Tom M King
04-21-2023, 8:38 AM
Whiteside for me too. I have one of these that's over 20 years old that I used when building an addition on the barn. Whiteside sharpens bits too. I think I have their round over bits up to 3/4" radius. I run those in the big routers.

Kent A Bathurst
04-21-2023, 9:47 AM
Third vote for Whiteside. Never failed to find the one I wanted on Amazon 2-day

Gordon Stump
04-21-2023, 9:51 AM
I like my Freud Quadra-Cuts for rounding dowel ends. Whiteside for most everything else.

Jim Becker
04-21-2023, 10:57 AM
Whiteside and other brand names have been good to me. If I need quick with reasonable quality, Yonko from Amazon has not disappointed me.

Michael Burnside
04-21-2023, 11:09 AM
Buy most things from bits-and-bits. Usually their brand or Whiteside is all I buy. Same goes for CNC bits.

As Jim points out, the Amazon bits are good if you need it NOW, but set expectations accordingly. They will work on a few jobs and certainly the one you need it quickly, but they won't last as long. I usually chuck those after 2-3 jobs or when I start seeing burning/tearing.

Dwayne Watt
04-21-2023, 11:40 AM
You could always order another Katana bit (those and Whiteside are my favs). Unless you are close to a good woodworking supply store, anything will be an online order anyhow.

Lee Schierer
04-21-2023, 1:14 PM
I like my Freud Quadra-Cuts for rounding dowel ends. Whiteside for most everything else.

I also like the Freud Quadra-cut bits, much smoother cuts and less tear out at reversed grain areas.

Dennis Tebo
04-22-2023, 9:57 AM
Freud bits for myself, been real happy with them. Get most of mine from Router Bit World, no affiliation other than a happy customer.

Dennis

David Powell
04-24-2023, 7:53 PM
Like Gordon, I have the Freud quadra-cuts for round overs (and dowel making) and Whiteside for just about everything else.