PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Table Saw Blade Adjustment

Kevin Huizinga
04-20-2023, 10:43 AM
Hi everyone, first post on this board. Wondering if anyone would have access to a manual for a Craftsman 137.248480 table saw? I've looked everywhere online, found manuals from similar models but cannot find this one (and the similar model manuals do not match this saw in regards to my issue)

My problem is I can't figure out how to adjust the blade left/right to make it parallel to the miter slots. I recently replaced a bearing in the motor, and after reinstalling the motor the blade is not parallel. Any other saw I've seen in person or online has some sort of adjustment screw(s) under the tabletop, but this one has nothing. I'm wondering if it requires shimming the motor off the motor base a bit..

If anyone has the manual or any suggestions it would be appreciated!

Lee Schierer
04-20-2023, 11:11 AM
It appears that you can down load a copy of the manual for your saw.

The procedure for aligning the blade to the miter slot is on page 16, below.

I hope this helps.

Kevin Huizinga
04-20-2023, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Lee, when I click the link it says I'm not authorized to view that document?

Jerry Bruette
04-20-2023, 1:02 PM
Thanks for the reply Lee, when I click the link it says I'm not authorized to view that document?

You have to be a contributor to see the pdf. The knowledge here is worth the 6 bucks a year.

Lee Schierer
04-20-2023, 1:17 PM

Well, I added a photo of the page to the original post, but the same thing is at the link for the manual (https://c.searspartsdirect.com/pd-content/is/content/Sears/L0511163) and no password or subscription is required there.

Kevin Huizinga
04-20-2023, 2:16 PM
I did become a contributor as Jerry suggested above and can now open the attachment, however it looks like that is the wrong saw. Very similar but that's a 137.248840 and mine is a 137.248480. Mine does not have the two adjusting screws/nuts shown on page 16

Dan Rude
04-20-2023, 2:32 PM
Here is a link to the Manual https://c.searspartsdirect.com/pd-content/is/content/Sears/L0511163 It should be correct. It appears to be the same as the page Lee connected to.

John TenEyck
04-20-2023, 2:44 PM
With every C-man that I've seen, including the one I own, the trunnion adjustment is done by loosening the 4 machine screws that hold the trunnion to the underside of the top. It will fight you tooth and nail to get it aligned properly, partly because the tilt adjustment linkage makes it difficult, and partly because there isn't much adjustment range between the screws and slots/holes they pass through.

First thing, throw away those machine screws and buy some Grade 5 or better ones. You can try adjusting the blade so it's parallel with the miter slot, but if it won't come into alignment then it's time to start enlarging likely at least two of the slots/holes the screws pass through. It doesn't take a lot, but it makes all the difference. Snug up one screw, check blade alignment, another screw, etc. You also may have to loosen the tilt adjustment mounting bracket where the handwheel is in order to move the trunnion enough.

There is a system called PALS, available on Amazon and other places, that uses adjustment screws to bring the blade into alignment, as you commented about in your opening post. It is specifically designed for contractor type saws. I didn't use it but I know others have said it works well.

John

Kevin Huizinga
04-20-2023, 3:34 PM
You're description sounds exactly like what I have, I did think about trying to adjust the long rod running underneath but there didn't seem to be much room to move it in either direction within the existing slots. I think I might have to enlarge them like you described. This was very helpful, thank you!

Bill Dufour
04-21-2023, 12:39 AM
I think he means blade tilt. Not what everyone is answering.
Bill D

Lee Schierer
04-21-2023, 8:20 AM
I did become a contributor as Jerry suggested above and can now open the attachment, however it looks like that is the wrong saw. Very similar but that's a 137.248840 and mine is a 137.248480. Mine does not have the two adjusting screws/nuts shown on page 16

Okay let's back up a bit. With a bit more information we can probably help you get the blade aligned better to the miter slot.

When you replaced the bearings in the motor how did you gain access to the motor. What did you take apart to get to the motor? Was the motor and raise/lower, tilt attached to the under side of the table top? If not how was it supported in the cabinet?

John TenEyck
04-21-2023, 8:30 AM
I think he means blade tilt. Not what everyone is answering.
Bill D

I didn't read it that way, but you bring up another peculiarity of Craftsman TS's like mine and, I suspect, most. Even if/when you get the blade parallel with the miter slot when it's at 90 degrees, it often won't be when you tilt the blade over to 45 degrees. The arbor does not rotate in plane. As a result, the blade will try to pull/push the wood as it passes through the blade, depending upon which side of the blade you're cutting.

The solution is you have to shim under one or more of the trunnion mounting points to get the arbor to rotate in plane. This is not a trivial task but is possible I'm told. I gave up and settled for parallel at 90 degrees, where it's stayed for 15 years after I got an old Unisaw. What a joy that saw is.

John

Kevin Huizinga
04-21-2023, 8:25 PM
Here is a pic (and a link to more if pic doesn't show well) of the underside of the saw, showing the motor mount setup. From what I can tell the entire motor mount, including angle adjustment linkage, is attached to the saw by the metal bar that runs underneath. From what John had described I thought I could maybe loosen the brackets holding the bar and adjust it slightly either way, but the bar is held tight and won't budge. Other than shimming the motor a bit from the mount a bit on one side I'm not sure how else it can be adjusted..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4pe3PFJr3N7MMk3X8

Jerry Bruette
04-21-2023, 10:59 PM
I think you have to loosen the highlighted bolts and shift the table to align the slot to the blade. There's probably one more bolt hidden that I couldn't highlight.

Patty Hann
04-21-2023, 11:30 PM
With every C-man that I've seen, including the one I own, the trunnion adjustment is done by loosening the 4 machine screws that hold the trunnion to the underside of the top. It will fight you tooth and nail to get it aligned properly, partly because the tilt adjustment linkage makes it difficult, and partly because there isn't much adjustment range between the screws and slots/holes they pass through.

First thing, throw away those machine screws and buy some Grade 5 or better ones. You can try adjusting the blade so it's parallel with the miter slot, but if it won't come into alignment then it's time to start enlarging likely at least two of the slots/holes the screws pass through. It doesn't take a lot, but it makes all the difference. Snug up one screw, check blade alignment, another screw, etc. You also may have to loosen the tilt adjustment mounting bracket where the handwheel is in order to move the trunnion enough.

There is a system called PALS, available on Amazon and other places, that uses adjustment screws to bring the blade into alignment, as you commented about in your opening post. It is specifically designed for contractor type saws. I didn't use it but I know others have said it works well.

John

John can you tell me more about PALS (or just point me and push me in the right direction).
I have Dewalt 7480, and I may need that PALS thing-y in the not to distant future. Thanks

Lee Schierer
04-22-2023, 9:15 AM
I think you have to loosen the highlighted bolts and shift the table to align the slot to the blade. There's probably one more bolt hidden that I couldn't highlight.

I agree with Jerry. Since your motor/raise-lower/tilt mechanism is attached to the case you will need to make your adjustments by moving the top. Loosen the four screws and align the blade with the miter slot by adjusting the top. It may be necessary to enlarge one or more of the holes in the case. This process will take some time to get it right, so be patient. Once the miter slot and blade are aligned, be sure to tighten all of the screws so it won't move and then check the alignment again.

PALS will not work for you on this saw.

Kevin Huizinga
04-22-2023, 11:28 AM
Bingo, loosened the four screws and the front two brackets are slotted, allowing the case to move back and forth a bit. Will take a bit but this will work - thanks for all the help guys!

John TenEyck
04-22-2023, 1:40 PM
John can you tell me more about PALS (or just point me and push me in the right direction).
I have Dewalt 7480, and I may need that PALS thing-y in the not to distant future. Thanks

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Alignment-Locking-System-Contractor/dp/B0036B4OFW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3L3E2APIW6C0F&keywords=pals+table+saw+alignment+kit&qid=1682185125&sprefix=%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-5

They come in different stud sizes, so make sure to buy the correct size.

John

John TenEyck
04-22-2023, 1:43 PM
Bingo, loosened the four screws and the front two brackets are slotted, allowing the case to move back and forth a bit. Will take a bit but this will work - thanks for all the help guys!

That is a direct drive motor, like on my jobsite saw, not the larger cast iron model I discussed above. The adjustment principle is the same, however, and I'm glad you have it figured out now.

John