PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a set of plans

Robert Hayward
04-19-2023, 9:18 PM
Anyone know where I can find a "how to" for this 3D design?

Jim Becker
04-20-2023, 10:31 AM
Try doing a Google image search on the original file as that might lead you to a YouTube video or other resource for the same or similar.

Robert Hayward
04-20-2023, 7:25 PM
Thank you for the advice. Before posting I had done what you suggested using my Iphone. Am more of a desktop PC guy with the larger real estate a desktop monitor provides. So a few minutes ago I used the desktop and was able to track the source code for the original picture to a cutting board maker in California. On his Facebook page he called the board a scaffold pattern. Then a search using scaffold pattern cutting board up popped a Youtube video by that same person showing the build. With dimensions! Score.

Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jdcRyj-Elo) is the video if anyone else is interested. Almost mind numbing dimension and angle accuracy is required to do these 3D designs and have them end up with no gaps and so on. I enjoy doing them. My shop is too small to do projects with any large size to them so I play woodworker with stuff like this.

Couple of fancy pencil boxes on the bench now but I think this will be my next project.

Jim Becker
04-20-2023, 7:28 PM
Very kewel that you found it!! Both a video and a plan is a real score! I don't do these things but I truly admire the ingenuity of how folks design these eye popping patterns that have a lot of variable parts size in them.

Robert Hayward
04-20-2023, 8:53 PM
I agree, the person that thinks this stuff through and does the design work is amazing. I spent a good portion of my life using plans others had developed and then making or building the project. With my background I am comfortable making things from a set of plans rather than creating the plans. That is why I was looking for the design work already done for this 3D design.

Thomas McCurnin
04-26-2023, 9:24 PM
Robert

Thank you for your question, and I thank Jim and you again for posting the video. By the way, for anyone with an interest in making cutting boards, this guy in particular and this video in general is amazing.

Jim Becker
04-28-2023, 9:15 AM
I'm noticing some videos by a guy named Ryan Hawkins who is using similar techniques for much larger projects, such as table tops. Pretty darn stunning, albeit likely pretty distracting when sitting down for dinner! LOL