PDA

View Full Version : Tool / Project Barter

Vaughn McMillan
01-30-2006, 2:59 AM
The barter system is alive and well. As mentioned in a post a few months back, I have a neighbor who wanted to buy one of my boxes. In the end, I agreed to trade the box for a barely-used router he'd had in storage. He got the box right before Christmas, and brought the router over a couple of days ago.

Here's the box...it's cherry with a wave of walnut, maple and cherry, finished in BLO. I've posted pics of this box here before, but not with the lid:

And another, showing the inside of the simple lid:

And here's what I got in return...it's a P-C 690 with the D-handle, in the original steel case. The sales receipt was in the case. In July 1992, the router (and a 1/2" x 1 3/4" three-flute flush trim bit) cost $197.43. My neighbor bought the router back then to use for one job, and it looks and runs as if it were brand new. There was a decent flush trim bit in the router, and the new bit is still unused in the package. (I don't think I could have sold the box for $200. ;) )

Although I'm not planning to use the case, it's the type where you can store the router with the bit still attached, and belt the whole thing into the case. The case looks brand-new...no wear or scratches on the outside at all.

I have a relatively new P-C 690 variable speed router with the fixed and plunge bases, so this addition of another motor and the D-handle base makes a nice addition to the stable. This motor is now in the fixed base on the router table, and the VS motor will be available for either the plunge or D-handle base. (Someday I'll get something beefier for the RT, but for now this is as good as it'll get.)

Did I make a decent trade?

- Vaughn

Norman Hitt
01-30-2006, 3:06 AM
Vaughn, I think you "Both" made a good trade. It sure is nice to have a dedicated router for the RT, and I think the older PC690's are actually better built than the new ones, even if it isn't VS.

Nice Box, (but we've come to expect that from you);) :D

Bill Lewis
01-30-2006, 6:42 AM
Vaughn,
Nice score, and nice box too!

I've got three 690's and the one I like the best is the oldest one I picked up at an auction several years ago. It too was a "short cord" router and though it had a fixed base, It now stays in the D-handle base that I bought with my first one (3 base kit). It just seems to run just a tad bit smoother than my first one.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-30-2006, 6:55 AM
Your neighbor got a bargain...That's a nice box!
-Jeff

Steve Ash
01-30-2006, 8:22 AM
Vaughan,
Congrats, sounds like a good way to go to me. I used a barter system when restoring my old Chevelle, a guy needed some doors built and I needed a good Muncie 4 speed transmission....we swapped and we were both happy.

John Miliunas
01-30-2006, 8:29 AM
Vaughn, me thinks your neighbor got the better part of that swap but, as long as you're happy with it, then it's a winner! The 690 is indeed a nice router. Then again, the box is killer!!! :)

Hey Steve, custom built doors for a Munchie??? :eek: I woulda' thought, at least, a Borg-Warner Super T-10 or similar!!! :D Aw heck...Long as you're both happy, all is good. :) :cool:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-30-2006, 8:33 AM
Looks like a good deal Vaughn, but to be honest, I think your neighbour got the better deal, he got a one of a kind custom build piece made by a craftsman, you got a router.

Still I see your reasoning, you can build another box, but you cannot build a router.

One nice box, do you sign your work?

Cheers!

Steve Ash
01-30-2006, 8:33 AM
I woulda' thought, at least, a Borg-Warner Super T-10 or similar!!!

I'm not sure how to pronounce those words in my neck of the woods.....:p :D

Jeff Sudmeier
01-30-2006, 8:34 AM
Vaughn, I think you did great! I am sure the other guy is bragging as well, look at what I got for an old dusty router!

Dev Emch
01-30-2006, 12:31 PM
The old school 690 is one of my favorate routers. I own two of these both with fixed speed. As the 690 is only a tad over 1 horse, use of large bits is not really a good idea. Therefore, these run smaller bits and the smaller bits like to run fast. So I have never felt the need to twiddle with speed settings. Of course if I have to, I can buy a speed control from woodcraft.

The 690 does have plastic however in its contruction. The handles are plastic knobs or the D face covers in your case and the 690 has a plastic protective cap on the motor.

690s are easy to fix and its not a big deal to replace bearings.

I have looked at upgrading to a Festool router but simply cannot see the benefits. Most likely, the QF-1400 would be the upgrade of choice. But the 690 has been around since the late 1950s to somewhere in the 1960s until very recently. It was the standard by which all jig makers plied their wares. And the 690 is timeless. As highly rated as Festool is, they are always changing their model lineup. You never see the same model offered year after year after year. So you get caught up in the company chruning the user base every three or odd years in order to remain current. Its like software upgrades.

Lastly, the use of a micro fence on a 690 is an extremely potent and accurate tool with adjustments done by the micro fence's micrometer. The stock micro fence is an A model which means its compatible with porter cable model 100 and 690 routers. It may even work on the 7518 but I dont have enough hosts-spa to attempt running a 7518 freehand.

So you done giid (good)!

Joe Blankshain
01-30-2006, 1:18 PM
The boxes look great and the score appears to be Vaughn 1 others 0. Nice going. keep up the good work.

Steve Clardy
01-30-2006, 1:25 PM
Nice score!!
Is that the 90th anniversary router? I have two of those 90th, with d-handles, plus a score of other pc routers.

Brett Baldwin
01-30-2006, 1:27 PM
Maybe this is how you can tool out your whole shop. You can practice new and different designs and get people to trade you there old tools for them. That would be a cool thing.

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 3:12 PM
Excellent trade, Vaughn!