PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Jet JJP-12HH jointer/planer motor?

Carl Melling
04-19-2023, 10:06 AM
I have a 9 year old JJP-12HH. About 1-2 years ago the motor would start to overheat after about 20 minutes of use. I saw from a google search this is not unusual. Hopefully they have fixed this by now. I replaced the back panel with metal mesh and installed a fan which helped a little. The other day while planing the motor tripped the breaker for the first time and I could smell a whiff of something burnt. Now the motor is clearly malfunctioning with rpm's way down and sounding "off".

I checked with Jet and a replacement motor won't be available from them until June. I would like to remove the motor and take it to a shop to see if it can be repaired or a suitable replacement found. However I am not sure how to approach removal. From the back panel or tipped on it's side from the bottom? The wires from the motor to the on/off switch are very tight and I'm not sure if they are plugged in or hard wired. Also, what is the black box attached to the bottom of the motor?

I would also like to replace the outfeed roller but. again, Jet doesn't make this look very easy.

Addendum: I was able to get the motor out through the bottom. Not too bad.

I see there is a new model available and I am tempted but at 5k that's a lot of charcuterie boards!

Any suggestions. Thank you so much for any advice.

Curt Harms
04-20-2023, 9:41 AM
Thanks for posting this Carl. I have the straight knife version that hasn't gotten much use of late but motor repair/replacement is a concern. I only run mine a couple minutes at a time so heat isn't much of a concern but for someone doing extended run sessions I can see heat in the totally enclosed cabinet being an issue.