PDA

View Full Version : What to Do?

Jim Koepke
04-18-2023, 9:20 PM
We live out in a pretty rural area. Our next door neighbors let their chickens wander freely. They forage in my compost pile and I will toss them stale bread and other things on occasion. They feed the chickens table scraps. They do not buy them feed. I used to put food out for the wild birds but the chickens will eat it up before many of the other birds get a chance.

They used to also let their dogs roam free until I complained about one of them that would always come at me and bark at me in my own yard. We haven't spoken since. I think they may still be mad at me for being upset about their dog menacing me in my yard.

Now today, I was working in the greenhouse getting ready for starting some plants and watering. In amongst the potted plants there was a nest of one and a half dozen eggs.

The question is, since these were in my greenhouse and I sometimes feed the chickens am I obligated to even tell them about the eggs?

Maybe taking the eggs over to them would be a good gesture. Not sure if they would be civil or not. In the past I have given them things and they don't seem to know the words, "thank you."

What do others think on this?

jtk

Doug Garson
04-18-2023, 9:33 PM
Enjoy the omelet, unless you want to make the effort to improve your relationship with them but based on your post it's unlikely to help.

Alan Rutherford
04-18-2023, 9:47 PM
We free-ranged for a few years and their radius of operation was about 200 yards in the most hospitable (non-wooded) direction. As the flock got older they got bolder and when they started pooping on the neighbor's porch we penned them up. Their successors have been penned up ever since, except for escapees and we've found a few of those nests with large numbers of eggs.

I think it's unlikely they will miss the eggs. The eggs should be OK but in case of doubt, break each egg into a bowl so you can look at it before you dump it into another bowl with the rest, so you don't add a bad egg to good ones.

The situation will become interesting if that hen goes broody, takes up residence on the nest and wants to hatch her eggs.

Ron Citerone
04-18-2023, 10:19 PM
Eat the eggs. Sorry you have neighbors like that!

Jim Koepke
04-19-2023, 1:40 AM
The eggs should be OK but in case of doubt, break each egg into a bowl so you can look at it before you dump it into another bowl with the rest, so you don't add a bad egg to good ones.

Actually it is easier than that. Good eggs do not float in tap water. These all have good density and stayed at the bottom of the bowl.

It has been cold up here.

As the flock got older they got bolder and when they started pooping on the neighbor's porch we penned them up.

That was something I mentioned to the neighbor because the chickens did poop on our porches. I chase them off enough that I think the chickens have gotten the idea about us not liking them on the porch. If I catch them on the porch when I have food to give them I make sure to throw it to the ones that are farthest away from the porch.

Chickens are not real smart, but they aren't as dumb as they seem to be.

jtk

Warren Lake
04-19-2023, 2:13 AM
Sisters friend rescued this guy in winter in an industrial area. He lived in the home as a family pet. Notice the camo diaper. I think Ellen played a you tube of him on her show. Friend brought him to the old folks home mom 92 or 3 here. Residents loved him he just walked around. Nice what some people do. Have more grey hair than my mom, white really. Used to make her laugh. I should find some stain, just have to be sure not to leave the rags around.

Tom M King
04-19-2023, 7:13 AM
Foxes just haven’t found the chickens yet.

Lee Schierer
04-19-2023, 8:22 AM
I would be very reluctant to eat the eggs. There is no telling how long they have been there. Chickens only lay one egg per day so the oldest egg in your dozen is at least 12 days old and possibly older. If you were to mark the existing eggs and then daily remove the new eggs, there is no reason to return them to your neighbor. Short of erecting a fence or getting a dog to chase the chickens home there is no good way to keep their chickens off your property.

Brian Elfert
04-19-2023, 8:26 AM
Previous neighbors had chickens that they let roam the neighborhood. They were over in my yard all the time. One day I opened my garage door, drove my car into the garage, and then closed the door. The next morning I found that one of the chickens had gotten into the garage while the door was open and had crapped all over while it was in the garage overnight. I finally called city hall and asked if chickens could be allowed to roam free and of course they are not. I tried to talk the neighbor, but they would never come to the door to talk even when the door to the house was open so they were probably home. I was half tempted to turn one of the chickens into dinner.

Dave Fritz
04-19-2023, 8:33 AM
Living in a rural area can be a challenge. There's a different mentality among some "locals". Many do not control their dogs rather let them run. To suggest otherwise is an affront as you found out. We clean up dog pop, watch them run our woods chasing deer etc. The neighbors think they don't cross the road. Not only do they cross the road they chase cars. Someday they'll be found along the road dead. On the other hand if I need a stump dug out, he's right there with his Bobcat to pull it out. When I have surgery he cleans the driveway of snow etc. It's a trade off.

Maurice Mcmurry
04-19-2023, 9:15 AM
We have a little country place we thought we would build on. We are having doubts about wanting to be in the midst of what is considered normal rural behavior. The imediate neighbors dogs kill chickens and have a very bad reputation with everyone in a two mile radius. We treat them for flea and tick and feed them. Our little Gus dog would never forgive us if we shot them. Getting shot or run over is very likely for them. The Akita is gone and had been run over as well as shot.
There are also Meth needles scattered along the road, visits by the Sherif and Social Worker, appearances in the crime section of the paper, lots of yelling, lots of shooting all around... etc. We looked for property for a long time. Most small parcels are in subdivisions with restrictive covenants. No poor folks, no rednecks, no sawmills.
My wife and B.I.L. have inherited a property in Grafton NH. I just read the book
"A Libertarian Walks Into A Bear". It is an interesting world!

Prashun Patel
04-19-2023, 10:17 AM
"Maybe taking the eggs over to them would be a good gesture."

I think (admirably) that because this is your instinct, you should do it.

While our cynical times may pull us in a different direction, I'm trying to live by doing the right thing because it's the right thing - not because of the reaction we get from our friends, family, or neighbors.

You're a good egg, Jim, for even considering mending fences.

Alan Rutherford
04-19-2023, 12:25 PM
"Maybe taking the eggs over to them would be a good gesture."

I think (admirably) that because this is your instinct, you should do it.

While our cynical times may pull us in a different direction, I'm trying to live by doing the right thing because it's the right thing - not because of the reaction we get from our friends, family, or neighbors.

You're a good egg, Jim, for even considering mending fences.

Prashun has a point. It's seldom wrong to take the high road.

As for the condition of the eggs, I had overlooked that they were in a greenhouse and therefore not rained on. Presumably also no direct sun. They should be fine. We have kept thousands of eggs unwashed and unrefrigerated for weeks if not months. We have only found one bad egg where the shell had not been damaged. Washing them destroys a protective layer and then the clock starts ticking and refrigeration is required. The multiple baskets help us use the oldest ones first, and when we give eggs away, which we often do, we use the newest ones and wash them.499866

Patty Hann
04-19-2023, 12:38 PM
Prashun has a point. It's seldom wrong to take the high road.

As for the condition of the eggs, I had overlooked that they were in a greenhouse and therefore not rained on. Presumably also no direct sun. They should be fine. We have kept thousands of eggs unwashed and unrefrigerated for weeks if not months. We have only found one bad egg where the shell had not been damaged. Washing them destroys a protective layer and then the clock starts ticking and refrigeration is required. The multiple baskets help us use the oldest ones first, and when we give eggs away, which we often do, we use the newest ones and wash them.499866

With the price of eggs I hope you have a security camera aimed at them... and a IR motion sensor...with a doberman nearby...

I'd offer to trade a boatload of grapefruit for some eggs, but you are in Florida and likely already have all the grapefruit you could want.

Jim Koepke
04-19-2023, 12:42 PM
I would be very reluctant to eat the eggs. There is no telling how long they have been there. Chickens only lay one egg per day so the oldest egg in your dozen is at least 12 days old and possibly older.

The easiest way to tell how old an egg may be is to do a float test. If the egg sinks in water it is good. If it stands up on end it is getting older but still useable. If it floats it goes to the compost.

More here > https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/cooking-tips-tutorials/a32415535/egg-float-water-test/

This page suggests that an egg that stands up in water is better for making meringue because the thinner whites whip up better.

There are four chickens, we do not know if only one is laying eggs or if all four are. Three of the chickens are of the same breed and one is different. The shells are of two distinct shades.

Foxes just haven’t found the chickens yet.

We do not have foxes up here (except when our grandchildren visit since their last name is Fox). We do have coyotes and raccoons. I think the neighbors have a pen for the chickens at night.

jtk

Alan Rutherford
04-19-2023, 1:04 PM
...I'd offer to trade a boatload of grapefruit for some eggs, but you are in Florida and likely already have all the grapefruit you could want.

The irony is we got to the age where we could move to the land of grapefruit and about the same time discovered how the cardiologists feel about grapefruit. But some things are worth the risk.

Mel Fulks
04-19-2023, 1:37 PM
Warren ,that is a great picture. Now, one thing that could make for a great surprise ! Buy a bunch of those things …pack ‘em into a
box with their heads sticking out packed in like flowers. Then when they are unpacked it will make a show much like the old Disney
dancing flowers ! That ! will make for some clucking…and smiles !

Lee Schierer
04-19-2023, 1:53 PM
We do not have foxes up here (except when our grandchildren visit since their last name is Fox). We do have coyotes and raccoons. I think the neighbors have a pen for the chickens at night.

jtk

I hate to tell you, but foxes and coyotes are in the Longview area. (https://tdn.com/business/local/wildlife-officials-monitoring-coyote-in-terry-taylor-neighborhood/article_3a701dc2-ece1-5d83-ae9a-e6ce406dbebb.html) You just don't see them much in the daytime, but a game camera will catch them.

Jim Koepke
04-19-2023, 2:42 PM
I hate to tell you, but foxes and coyotes are in the Longview area. (https://tdn.com/business/local/wildlife-officials-monitoring-coyote-in-terry-taylor-neighborhood/article_3a701dc2-ece1-5d83-ae9a-e6ce406dbebb.html) You just don't see them much in the daytime, but a game camera will catch them.

Unfortunately tdn.com has a paywall and doesn't let me view their articles. I imagine there may be foxes around here, but the coyotes seem to be dominate in my area.

jtk

Alan Rutherford
04-19-2023, 3:15 PM
... coyotes seem to be dominate in my area.

You're a few miles away and a lot more rural than Seattle but a few years back we had one walk down the driveway in the vicinity of 100th and 15th NW, which is well inside the city. Also once had to wait for a coyote to cross the runway at Paine Field (Everett, WA) before taking off.

Alex Zeller
04-19-2023, 4:07 PM
I have a wild turkey problem. It started off with the ex wanting bird feeders. The small birds are fine but the blue jays would throw seeds all over. Then anything that couldn't get to the feeder showed up. It didn't take long before the turkeys showed up. At first I wasn't all that impressed. But I soon realized that along with then tearing up the grass and pooping on everything they also eat ticks. So I started putting cracked corn down for them and since then I haven't had an issue with ticks. It's not unusual to see 40 or 50 of them around the house (I only put out a couple of scoops each day) so they eat any bug they can.

Jonathan Pace
04-19-2023, 5:02 PM
Enjoy your egg breakfast. She may have chosen that spot because she is happy there - consider it a gift.

Thomas McCurnin
04-19-2023, 6:51 PM
For the $3-4 bucks for a dozen eggs, I'd return them to this knucklehead neighbors, as they aren't yours, and it might improve relations. If not, you've taken the high road.

Dave Zellers
04-19-2023, 10:38 PM
For the $3-4 bucks for a dozen eggs, I'd return them to this knucklehead neighbors, as they aren't yours, and it might improve relations. If not, you've taken the high road.

Seems to me that they are his. Plus, Jim has made it clear that these neighbors are not looking to be friendly. It's such a shame really. Some people behave like they think they live alone on an island. I just don't get it. Being friendly, and having that friendliness returned, is just so uplifting and rewarding.

Oh yeah, eggs here are 6-7 bucks a dozen.

Jim Koepke
04-20-2023, 12:10 AM
Seems to me that they are his. Plus, Jim has made it clear that these neighbors are not looking to be friendly. It's such a shame really. Some people behave like they think they live alone on an island. I just don't get it. Being friendly, and having that friendliness returned, is just so uplifting and rewarding.

Oh yeah, eggs here are 6-7 bucks a dozen.

The local Kroger affiliate had cartons of 18 eggs with a sell by date of about a week out marked down to $0.83 from the normal price of ~$2.39 - $3.19.

jtk

Dave Zellers
04-20-2023, 12:15 AM
The local Kroger affiliate had cartons of 18 eggs with a sell by date of about a week out marked down to $0.83 from the normal price of ~$2.39 - $3.19.

jtk

Wow. It ain't like that here.

Patty Hann
04-20-2023, 3:42 AM
The irony is we got to the age where we could move to the land of grapefruit and about the same time discovered how the cardiologists feel about grapefruit. But some things are worth the risk.
Sorry to hear that... I guess some heart and cholesterol meds don't mix very well with grapefruit.
Am not yet (and hopefully never) on any "no grapefruit allowed" meds.
When it's in season and the trees are clotted with fruit, I usually eat two per day.
I have one "red" tree and one "white" tree... and much prefer them to oranges.

Ron Citerone
04-20-2023, 7:49 AM
Sorry to hear that... I guess some heart and cholesterol meds don't mix very well with grapefruit.
Am not yet (and hopefully never) on any "no grapefruit allowed" meds.
When it's in season and the trees are clotted with fruit, I usually eat two per day.
I have one "red" tree and one "white" tree... and much prefer them to oranges.

Used to love grapefruit but can't eat them with the statin I take. Oranges are alright to eat, but I used to like grapefruit more. That's life sometimes.

Alan Rutherford
04-20-2023, 12:18 PM
Statins and grapefruit are wandering a bit off topic - or maybe not since eggs are a big source of cholesterol. I wouldn't give anyone medical advice but I will say that with a little research I found that some statins play much better with grapefruit than others. I got my dr. to prescribe one that looked more grapefruit-tolerant and while I try not to be too stupid about it, I eat more grapefruit than the neighbor who owns the tree, Much more.

I was reluctant to take statins but then within a year I found out how clogged my arteries were, started statins but the damage was already done and I had a triple bypass. I'm fine now, my artery replacements are clog-free, and I take that statin. I would say to anyone on the fence about statins that no matter what you might have heard about side effects A) most of it's not true and B) I promise you any side effects from statins are preferable to bypass surgery.

Jim Koepke
04-20-2023, 2:20 PM

I make sure my doctors know I like grapefruit. None of my meds, including a statin, is known to have an untoward interactions with grapefruit.

In the past some statins gave me leg pains. Currently 500mg of magnesium is included with my evening meds and the leg pains haven't come back since changing to pravastatin.

jtk

Jim Koepke
04-20-2023, 2:24 PM
A couple of the "free range" eggs were used for the first time this morning to make an omelet. The shells are thicker than store bought eggs. They do crack open better. The crack along a line rather than crumbled shell all around.

The yolks were a much deeper orange. One was almost red.

They tasted much richer than store bought eggs. They were also a bit sweeter. That may be from the banana peels they eat and other fruit trimmings.

jtk

Patty Hann
04-20-2023, 4:36 PM
A couple of the "free range" eggs were used for the first time this morning to make an omelet. The shells are thicker than store bought eggs. They do crack open better. The crack along a line rather than crumbled shell all around.

The yolks were a much deeper orange. One was almost red.

They tasted much richer than store bought eggs. They were also a bit sweeter. That may be from the banana peels they eat and other fruit trimmings.

jtk

I ate goose eggs at a B&B in Scotland....was 'way out in the hinterlands....little croft place.
Two scrambled goose eggs filles a normal dinner plate. They were also much richer than chicken eggs. Fills you up...could hardly finish the kippers. :D

Tom M King
04-20-2023, 5:17 PM
Ours aren't free range because of the Foxes, but they're still Way better than store bought eggs.

Jim Koepke
04-20-2023, 7:22 PM
Ours aren't free range because of the Foxes, but they're still Way better than store bought eggs.

Of course, you don't load your chickens up with chemicals and hormones like the egg producers do. Your chickens are likely not as stressed as the chickens that live in a cage barely big enough for them to turn around in.

Factory farmers do all they can, within the law, to produce as much as they can as cheap as they can.

jtk

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-20-2023, 8:20 PM
They tasted much richer than store bought eggs.

Back at the old farm, we had a great trade system with a bunch of the neighbors. They brought their chicken approved food scraps & egg cartons and in exchange, they could have as many eggs as they needed. During the winter months when the chickens were not laying, one of the neighbor mom's let me know that her two pre-teen sons asked during breakfast if she was using "real eggs." They noticed the drastic difference in the taste of store bought eggs. When the chickens started laying when there was more daylight and mom started picking up eggs again, the boys instantly knew mom was making breakfast with the "good eggs" again. Smart boys!

In addition to what others have said, if you feel the need to be a good neighbor and bring the eggs to the bad neighbors, by all means, give it a try once. Since they have a history of being bad neighbors, don't expect much from them. Not everyone chooses to learn by example. You gave it a try and when you find more eggs, enjoy them with your meals!

Frederick Skelly
04-20-2023, 9:10 PM
What do others think on this?

jtk

Throw the eggs at their house?

Ok. Just kidding. I'd keep the eggs.

Bill Dufour
04-20-2023, 11:46 PM
I have read that in Britain and the EU eggs sold can not be washed. Washing makes them go bad much sooner and requires refrigeration to try to keep them edible. Home owners can wash them right before use if desired. Unwashed eggs will stay fresh at room temperature longer then washed eggs in the fridge.
Washing removes a coating and allows bacteria to enter pores in the eggshell and contaminate the liquid egg material inside the protective shell.
Of course room temperature is much lower in the Eu then summer in central California.
Bill D.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2644251/Un-scrambling-truth-Why-American-eggs-ILLEGAL-sell-UK-vice-versa.html#:~:text=In%20fact%2C%20laws%20in%20the, cleaning%20the%20eggs%20at%20all.

Jim Koepke
04-21-2023, 1:27 AM
I have read that in Britain and the EU eggs sold can not be washed. Washing makes them go bad much sooner and requires refrigeration to try to keep them edible.

An old joke about Britain asks why they drink their beer warm. The answer is because Lucas makes the refrigerators. Lucas Electric is also known as the prince of darkness.

Lots of fun poked at a major electrical supply company in Britain.

It may be why their eggs aren't supposed to be washed before their being sold.

jtk

Tom M King
04-21-2023, 9:20 AM
I just took this picture of Pam's daily haul of eggs. They do get washed and put in the refrigerator when she brings them in. She gives away a lot more than we and the dogs eat.

Alan Rutherford
04-21-2023, 11:15 AM
It's not easy to find a good chicken-sitter and a few years ago we closed down the flock so we could travel a little more. In 2019 chickens were suddenly in short supply and travel looked less inviting so we got 15 chicks and started over. A year later when the chickens were producing far more than we needed and the local food bank was begging for help we started selling the eggs to the neighbors. Periodicaly some local company will offer to match donations to the food bank. We would wait for that, then we would match the money from the neigbors and send in the proceeds to be doubled again. We were only asking $4/dozen but didn't make change so typically we got $5 and since the neighbors knew what we were doing, some gave us up to $20/dozen. The food bank ended up with over $1/egg. We thought they could use the money more than the eggs.

Perry Hilbert Jr
04-21-2023, 11:38 AM
The laws of civil trespass exist in every state, but differ wildly. Yes there is and was under the English common law, such a thing as trespassing livestock.

A collection of eggs like that may be "soft cooked" as we jokingly refer to partially incubated eggs. Feed them to the dog or compost pile.

I have 17 adjoining neighbors as we go around the property lines. I have fences up along most of the property lines, unless it is woods. I try very hard to make a point of talking to each neighbor at least once a year and trying to keep things civil. I am not looking for chums or buddies, just to stay civil. If I have extra eggs from the hen house, or garden produce, I take something to give. Maybe lend a hand with a project they have going on. My Mrs. and I just want to be left alone and to leave others alone, but also have a we'll keep an eye on your property if you'll do the same for us type of relationship. There's a little more to it with some neighbors, but that is the general idea. I plow one neighbor's driveway in winter in exchange for taking the hay off his field in summer. Another neighbor is a really young guy just starting out and he is a mechanic. He did some repairs for me and I gave him some building materials and firewood as a swap. A few neighbor's archery hunt my property. If I see somebody trimmed their trees and bushes, I tell them they can dump the branches back in my woods.

Dave Zellers
04-21-2023, 8:42 PM
I just took this picture of Pam's daily haul of eggs. They do get washed and put in the refrigerator when she brings them in. She gives away a lot more than we and the dogs eat.

I hope you have some ham to go with those green eggs.

Jim Koepke
04-22-2023, 12:33 AM
Great story Alan, thanks for sharing.

jtk

Correy Smith
04-22-2023, 4:52 PM
Hi Jim, to your original question with neighbors and dogs and eggs. It's probable that your neighbors are not capable of thought beyond their own needs and grievances. That's OK. But it's unfortunate that their neglect of duties spills on to your property. Anything they neglect and found on your property is now your property. If they haven't been social or respectful or offered you some eggs in the past no reason to share YOUR eggs with them. In my area most people live here to be away from restriction. Unfortunately some are neglectful too. But you have every right to lay down the line as to whats acceptable on YOUR property just as they do. I would never want to have to hurt a dog for any reason but I would be quick to put one down if it threatened my dog, cats, wife, or anything on my property especially if I had already informed the neighbors about the nuisance. Once again, I have never shot a dog and hope I never do. I might even be quicker to befriend the dog and keep it if that were within the social capability of the dog. There really aren't any bad dogs, just bad owners. Chickens, well, they can easily just fit in the pest category. We have feral cat and chicken problems where I live. I don't think I could ever kill a stray cat but I have trapped them and relocated ( illegally) to another location and set free. Chickens, roosters, fair game in my eyes. Pellet gun or .22 if not in a tight neighborhood. Free range chicken is expensive at the store. BTW eggs here today are $7 on the cheap per dozen.
Neighbors can be rough sometimes. What can you do? Move? Sometimes it's easier just not to interact but it's sad as neighbors make up neighborhoods and if we can't all get along, be friendly if not friends, then it doesn't really enrich the living experience for anyone in the neighborhood. What's more better than helping a friend or neighbor? Good luck with folks next door. Just be glad you don't have cow problems. They can eat your orchard, garden and all your potted starts in a single night. If my freezer was bigger.....

Mike Soaper
04-22-2023, 5:08 PM
The folks on either side of us raise chickens and occasionally I see a fox trotting from the direction of one to the other, like he's making the rounds

Seems he got lucky the other day and got the family favorite chicken that was like a pet, the owner is really pis***.

We sometimes get free eggs from the other owner, and sometimes they get free organic pizza dough from us.

Mike Soaper
04-22-2023, 5:19 PM
They were also a bit sweeter. That may be from the banana peels they eat and other fruit trimmings.

jtk

Here's hoping the flavor from the kale i gave to the neighbors chickens doesn't make it to their eggs. I like kale, but not sure about eggs taking like bitter kale

Patty Hann
04-22-2023, 8:50 PM
The folks on either side of us raise chickens and occasionally I see a fox trotting from the direction of one to the other, like he's making the rounds

Seems he got lucky the other day and got the family favorite chicken that was like a pet, the owner is really pis***.

We sometimes get free eggs from the other owner, and sometimes they get free organic pizza dough from us.

From 2010 to 2017 I was trading grapefruit for eggs. Next door neighbor had 3-4 chickens and, for a brief time (a very brief time!), a rooster.
Rooster would crow at all hours; not too often, but time never mattered.
Anyway, I would usually trade 4-6 grapefruit for at least a half dozen eggs...the barter rate varied according to the chickens' "output". :D

I don't know if it was a good deal, but I read somewhere that a "bargain deal" is when both parties come away satisfied with the terms.
When my 2 trees are producing 75-125 grapefruit each, I think I got a good deal. :)

And then in 2017 she sold the chickens and moved away.:(