PDA

View Full Version : Sliding benchtop tools?

Matt Barmash
04-18-2023, 1:05 PM
Hey all,

I am building a new miter station with 4' to the left and 3' to the right. I do not want to install a fence and was just thinking of making a t-track stop for both sides for repeated cuts. I was thinking about how best to use the space since I already have a 6'x3' movable workbench. I will make a pegboard/wall storage, but I got thinking about putting my Bench-top grinder an mortiser. I saw that you can get T-track intersectors so I was thinking about using t track as a base for a sliding base for those tools. The idea would be to let the t track for the miter saw run the whole length, but as needed slide benchtop tools back and forth on a plywood base when in use.

Anyone done this or know a reason it would not work?

matt

Alan Lightstone
04-25-2023, 8:24 AM
I built something like this for my last shop. Not exactly what you are describing, but it allowed me to slide in and out power tools and my miter saw for use. I used the Festool fence.

Jim Becker
04-25-2023, 10:04 AM
Matt, there's no need for a long fence, honestly, and there can be benefits to not having one, particularly when your material isn't perfectly straight but still needs to be cross-cut. But working out a way to incorporate workpiece support and...stops...is a good place to focus your design.

-----

Alan, those pull-outs are very clever.

John Ziebron
04-25-2023, 10:20 AM
Matt, as Jim pointed out there are times when it's better to not have a fence. But there are times when supports, along with a fence, are better especially for long heavy stock. My original miter station years ago had 6 feet to the left and 3 feet to the right as a permanent setup. As my shop was getting more crowded a few years ago I built this station based on a Woodsmith plan. The drawers give me more storage and behind the panel door sits a dedicated Fein vacuum (not installed yet in the second pic).

Michael Burnside
04-25-2023, 11:51 AM
I built something like this for my last shop. Not exactly what you are describing, but it allowed me to slide in and out power tools and my miter saw for use. I used the Festool fence.

Alan, I love this idea, very clever. I may have to steal this one. I really don't use my Kapex very often, but if it were in the corner and could pull out like that when needed, it would be perfectly out of the way unless I need it.

Alan Lightstone
04-26-2023, 8:22 AM
Yes, this let me stow away my drum sander and Kapex, yet pull them out for long pieces when needed. Worked great in a "2-car" garage.