PDA

View Full Version : Going bloody round and freaking round.....

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-30-2006, 1:35 AM
.......and not in a wood chips kind of way....:(

Boy I tell you, some days, it is just better to stay in bed :mad:

I've got this older Craftsman 12" tube bed lathe coming, I know, I know, but it is a gift from a friend, and I'm just paying the shipping.

He sent it without the motor, as the power here is different, and without the pulley for the motor, as it is 1/2" and things here tend to be in millimeters.

I've been trying and freaking trying to find a step pulley, with very little success. I went to my favorite home center, Joyful Honda (not the usual one I go to, but a different branch), and the guys there said they knew of NO ONE in Japan that makes such a pulley, they then went on to tell me that they don't use that kind of thing in Japan. I grabbed one of the guys by the elbow and frog marched him over, about 20' to the drill presses, popped the top on it and said "What are those...? Are they not step pulleys????" Well much apologizing went on, but they still could not help me, as they did not know where to get one.

We have contacted several "Pulley" makers here, and all have said "Sorry....."

In frustration, I was going to buy a cheap drill press, for $80 and use the motor and step pulley from it, but then I thought a bit more.......

There is a clone of the lathe I'm getting for sale here in Japan, it is called a HomeTool WT-300, and it has a motor and pulley on it, so we finally found the name and phone number of the company that actually imports these lathes, they gave us the part numbers, and said they were not that expensive, but they could not sell them to us........:eek:

We would have to order them from a home center (you know, like Joyful Honda)................

So we called the nearest Home Center place, and finally got to talk to the "Power Tools Manager" first he say "Sorry, we can't order that", well we counter with "The company that sells this stuff named you as someone who CAN order this stuff"........

"OK, I'll call you back" was his response.

So he calls back, and guess what, they can order the parts!

I have to go and pay for them in advance, but at least I'll know how much they will cost, and when they will arrive. The lathe should be here this week some time!

BOY this is becoming a true quest!

I guess I could add this to the "You know you are a turner when.." thread... :D

Thanks for giving me the space to RANT...

Vaughn McMillan
01-30-2006, 4:21 AM
Stu, it wouldn't be a true "Stu Ablett Tool" if there wasn't some McGyver this or that somewhere in the mix. ;) Now if you already had the lathe working, you could turn your own stepped pully out of wood and be done with it.

Man, if I was ever stranded on a desert island with just a ball of twine, some gum and a Leatherman, I'd want you to be there too. With a fast boat...and some hamburgers. :D

- Vaughn

01-30-2006, 4:31 AM
Thanks, but I'd have to say, my choice would be slightly different................

(I'd want cold beer to go with the hamburgers ;):D)

Cheers!

Bob Noles
01-30-2006, 6:16 AM
Stu,

Have you ever considered writing a book? :D :p

It would be a best seller :cool:

Karl Laustrup
01-30-2006, 6:18 AM
Couldn't help but chuckle a bit. Not about your trials, although I've been there and done that, but about finally finding something and it's an import. TO JAPAN.

Karl

Raymond Overman
01-30-2006, 7:48 AM
Stu,

Before I bought my variable speed motor/controller I had a single pulley on the motor end and a stepped pulley at the headstock. Not the best set up but it worked. They do have single pulleys in Japan right?

Good luck with your quest. It will be worth it.

01-30-2006, 8:13 AM
Well I'd say a normal pulley would not be a problem.......

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/joyful/hose_pulleys_motors.jpg

Selection at my local Joyful Honda.... :D

John Miliunas
01-30-2006, 8:16 AM
Just never fails to amaze me what guys will go through in order to enable themeselves to turn! :D While other folks have been sucked into the vortex just from the backwash, you've chosen to dive straight into the middle of the thing!!! Way to go, Stu! I'm quite certain you will gain many, many rewards from your efforts! :) Keep us posted...:) :cool:

01-30-2006, 8:26 AM
Thanks John, both feet and yell real loud, that is the only way to do it, IMHonestO....

BTW, while at the home center paying for the motor and pulley, I bought four 20 Kg bags of sand for ballast.....

I think I'm going to start on the Lathe bench here any minute.... ;)

BTW, 4 x 20 Kg = about 176 lbs... Think that is enough ballast, or should I get more?

$5 a bag.

Cheers!

Jeff Sudmeier
01-30-2006, 8:38 AM
Stu, that should be enough ballast for you.

I can't wait to see this lathe, you are really working your tail off for it!

Andy Hoyt
01-30-2006, 8:51 AM
Stu, Have you ever considered writing a book? :D :p It would be a best seller :cool:

In this instance, wouldn't it be a best cellar?

Mike Ramsey
01-30-2006, 8:58 AM
Stu, would it have been easier to have your friend send the pully and
then just crossed over a belt or had one made?

01-30-2006, 9:02 AM
Mike, the hole in the pulley would not fit the shafts on the motors I can get here, an inches to mm thing.

Andy............ groan......... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Mac McAtee
01-30-2006, 9:54 AM
Stu,
Have you tried contacting an industrial bearing and drive company? Like in the US? Motion Industries, Kaman Supply, Applied Process Technology? There is bound to be quite a few of that type of company around Tokyo. Look in the yellow pages, if they have them in the phone book there, under bearings or power transmission or what ever the expression is in Japan. Any large size industrial supply house will have access to Dodge or Browning power transmission parts.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-30-2006, 5:06 PM
May be stupid, Stu, but do you have enough room to set two or three pulleys on the shaft. If so, they could be of different O.D.'s, acting like a step pulley.

MM on the Motor and in on the headstock?

Bruce

Curt Fuller
01-30-2006, 9:52 PM
I turn on a very similar lathe, the Ridgid WL1200 and I think that most parts are interchangeable. Don't know anything about availability in Japan but.....
http://www.ridgidparts.com/pdf/WL12000.pdf

Wes Bischel
01-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Stu,
It sounds like you have things worked out - but just in case.:rolleyes: You can use the original step pulley on a 1/2" jack shaft (counter shaft) with an additional single groove drive pulley all on pillow blocks (all imperial). Then buy a local voltage motor with a single groove pulley to fit. I think you would be OK with the belt interface. All bolt together, no machining.

Hopefully the motor set-up on order will do the trick though.

FWIW,
Wes

01-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Yes Curt, the Ridgid is a copy of the old Craftsman, they have it over here to, an Asian copy, they call it a HomeTool WT-300. I notice on E-bay that a company named Rand sells one too, but they paint it blue...

http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/5a/b6/6a_1_bl.JPG

Search on Ebay "Rand Wood Lathe" they have two kinds, this one and one similar to the one I was looking at on auction here.

BTW, I went and paid for the motor and the pulley, it was just over 6,000 yen, so about $54, with the shipping of the lathe, I'll be into this lathe for about $100+-. Not bad, but I know that from now it will get expensive :D

I already had a look at the One Way Talon chuck....:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Andy Hoyt
01-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Stu - Our Tick Tock One navigator advises that you are 5,106.7 miles from Ground Zero. You're okay in the dungeon. but I'd worry about those folks up on the seventh floor.

01-31-2006, 4:28 AM
Good to know, thanks Andy, but I don't know if I want to let my wife down in the Dungeon, if she sees how much fun I have down there, she may want to join me :eek: ;) :D

tick tock!!

John Hart
01-31-2006, 6:23 AM
Stu...you sure know how to make the most of things. It's really admireable. $100 for a lathe?! Sheesh! With your inventiveness and innovation, you are going to have a ball with all the other stuff.

Hey...I bet you could come up with a cool set of Cole Jaws. I've got to see that! Well done. :)

01-31-2006, 6:59 AM
Mr. Hart you are truly EVIL did you know that.....?

You mean one of these...?

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/images/colejaws3.jpg

While I was looking at this, I said to myself.....

"Heck, you can cut aluminum plate with a good sharp router bit....."

Yes, Mr. Hart you are PURE Evil...... ;) :D

John Hart
01-31-2006, 7:03 AM
Mr. Hart you are truly EVIL did you know that.....?

Yes...I did know that. But I'm Fun-evil!!!!:D

02-03-2006, 9:40 AM
OK, I got back from the Shimachu Home Center, with my motor and my 5 step pulley......

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/unobtainium_pulley.jpg
Sorry about the crap cell phone pic

I'd really like to take this out to that Joyful Honda place I went and say "Wow, look at this, here I am standing in Japan, with a FIVE STEP PULLEY..... you know the one that you guys said DOES NOT EXIST in Japan...."

:D

Sure hope my lathe show up soon, but, I'm going back to the wood lot on Tuesday, I have some more logs to cut up, so this weekend I'm making myself a Mini Mill, so I can take the wain off the boards, easier to deal with and less mess in the Dungeon.

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2006, 9:51 AM
Stu.......You sure seem to have more patience than I do! Where is your lathe coming from and did it have to go through customs there in Japan?

I often order parts for CT and MR scanners that have to come through US customs. I've tracked orders that shipped from say France or Singapore the day I ordered it. Arrived via Fedex the next morning to customs here in the States.......Didn't see that part for another 4-5 days...........

02-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Ken if I answered you question about customs...... well let me put it this way, I'd have to shoot you..... ;) :D

It will be here soon, I have a buddy that has used his business connections to facillitate a VERY cheap route for the package to get here.....nothing illegal, just don't want to advertise the "route"..... if you know what I mean.... nudge, nudge, wink, wink ..............

Cheers!

Bob Noles
02-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Stu,

You got it tough over there for sure. I saw a headline the other day that says you live in the 2nd most expensive city in the world. Did not read the article so I don't know who #1 is :eek:

You have always made the best of what you have and I think that is what makes following your adventures so exciting for us over here. I know for myself it makes me step back and think and appreciate what we have.

02-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Sooooo.....

My "Shipper" called today, the package is in :D

I hope to get it tomorrow evening, or Monday...!

Cheers!

03-02-2006, 5:53 AM
Well people, I finally got it all.....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/my_new_lathe.jpg
Crap cell phone pic, but hey.....

Got a set of cheapo tools too, a large skew, a small skew, a pointed thingy, a large, medium and small bowl gouge, another parting tool, a big and a little scraper.

None of them are "Quality" but all of them, when sharpened correctly will do me just fine, for now :rolleyes:

I have a dead center and the spur center, no face plates or chucks!! :eek:

I'll have to see what I can get for a reasonable amount in the way of a chuck (from the US that is), and some face-plates too.

This lathe is an older Craftsman 12" lathe, I've seen the Taiwanese copy of this lathe, and there is no comparison. This lathe's castings are easily twice as thick, and one big thing is the tube bed it one piece, and it has thick walled tubing, the copies are not so nearly well built. Even the wheel that controls that head stock on this lathe is larger, and it is steel, where as the new copy is smaller, and plastic.

Now I need to build the sharpening jig, the lathe bench, (I found some 6" "I" beam stuff at Joyful Honda, they will even cut it to length for me :D ) so I'm afraid the chips will not fly just yet, but it is all coming together. The only thing really stopping me now, is a lack of a drive belt, and sharp tools.

Cheers!

PS, a BIG THANK YOU to Dalton Theriot who hangs out at the Oak most of the time, he gave me this lathe for just the cost of the shipping, what a great guy!!

John Hart
03-02-2006, 7:21 AM
Congratulations Stu! Almost there. If you ever get tired of that lathe...I'll take it!!!:D Pretty neat. Ready to Rock!:)

Jim Dunn
03-02-2006, 7:57 AM
Way to go Stu. Now you have no need to emerge from the dungeon.

Tim Beauregard
03-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Howdy Stu,

I found a "turning club" here that has a monthly meeting. I bought my lathe from one of the guys there. I went out to his place and it was this "crap hole" mobile home with a "crap hole" metal shed. Junk all over the yard. INSIDE the shed and another shed he had something like 5 or 6 lathes. The lathe he sold me is a JET model and looks almost exactly like the one you pictured, except yours has what appears to be a better tool rest mechanism.

Anyway, this guy, who is an almost deaf country bumpkin makes the MOST BEAUTIFUL stuff. And he doesn't have ANY fancy tools ! He makes any tool he needs for a task by pounding a "cut nail" into a stick and grinding that on a bench grinder. He will grind a piece of metal, then TURN a nice handle for it. He explained how SOME tools, like a scraper, should have a flat spot on the handle so he doesn't make round handles for those. He also makes micro tools out of pieces of piano wire. The other guys who can afford to buy tools sort of look down their noses at him, and they turn some beautiful stuff, but when you compare a finished product to HOW THEY GOT THERE, nobody can match this guy.

I learned that a master can make beautiful stuff using the worst tools. And that reminds me of something I read (I think it was in Jack Nicklaus book "Golf My Way") about how no professional uses a "matched set" of golf clubs. The pro uses what works best.

This guy made a box with spires on it that were SO delicate. And on those spires were captive rings. I could only see 2 but he said there were 3. Then I looked closely and saw the third. He must have used a sewing needle and a microscope for that.

I think I can find pictures of his stuff and will post links soon.

Regards,
Tim B.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Congrats Stu. I am glad to see ya got it. Have fun and make some chips fly.