PDA

View Full Version : LN Bronze No 1

Greg Parrish
04-15-2023, 7:21 PM
Just a heads up for some of you collectors…………. Just noticed a Lie Nielsen with box in mint condition sitting on Jim Bode for what seems like a realistic price. Expensive, yes, but for a discontinued No 1 plane in bronze, it seems like a really good price compared to iron ones I’ve seen sell on this forum over the years.

I have no connection to the plane or site, but just saw it and thought it worth sharing for anyone looking. https://www.jimbodetools.com/collections/planes/products/lie-nielsen-bronze-no-1-smooth-plane-mint-in-box-discontinued-at-lie-nielsen-106938

Richard Coers
04-15-2023, 10:10 PM
That's $95 more than I paid for my Stanley #1. Hope my early years of collecting holds the value. i also have this LN #1, and the #1 LN made for the Woodcraft 75th Anniversary in silver bronze.

Jim Koepke
04-16-2023, 1:37 AM
My LN #1 bronze gets used on occasion. To me its usefulness is worth more than a few hundred dollars to be frittered away.

jtk

Greg Parrish
04-16-2023, 7:44 AM
Well, it’s sold this morning so if someone on here got it, post the gloat and let us know. It sure was pretty looking and had I not had my broken pinky issue I would have bought it rather than share the link. But, just like my no 3 that I sold recently, I’d never have gotten my hand on it comfortable.

John Keeton
04-16-2023, 1:32 PM
I actually came into a couple of bronze No. 1s and sold both on SMC - as I recall in the $500-600 range. I now own a No. 2 bronze that I find a bit more comfortable even for my small hands. I don't have that much in the No. 2, but I intend to keep it. LN apparently intends to produce more iron 1s and 2s, but who knows on the bronze with the trouble they have been having with bronze casting quality issues.

Stephen Rosenthal
04-16-2023, 3:27 PM
LN apparently intends to produce more iron 1s and 2s, but who knows on the bronze with the trouble they have been having with bronze casting quality issues.

At a third of the price, iron is good enough for me when LN makes them available. As I recall, Walke-Moore also had bronze casting quality issues (pre-Covid) that caused them to halt production of their router planes. Not sure if they ever sorted it out.

Rob Luter
04-16-2023, 5:44 PM
At a third of the price, iron is good enough for me when LN makes them available. As I recall, Walke-Moore also had bronze casting quality issues (pre-Covid) that caused them to halt production of their router planes. Not sure if they ever sorted it out.

I have a bronze #4 and it’s really nice. That said I prefer the iron format of my #3, #5, and #62. I would have been fine with an iron #4, but succumbed to the call of the iconic bronze smoother.