PDA

View Full Version : Help justify a new bandsaw

Bobby Hatfield
07-22-2003, 5:48 PM
Here is all the evidence I have for justification for a new bandsaw, any help will be appreciated. Old gal is an 82 model and has had a hard life but is no match for new technology, she has had lots of modifications and custom attachments that won't fit a new model but they should count in her favor. She has her quirks and looses her blade if you back up, I guess due to her worn tires and weak spring. Only enough strength for a 1/4"-3 tooth and a little grabby at times, maybe not her fault. All in all, not of a mind to put her out to pasture with a certain hog of a 18" Griz that has personality problems that is only good for small logs and eight inch timbers.
Really thinking of a nice 24" something for retirement keeping to play with when I get old.
Looking for any ideas from anyone.

Todd Burch
07-22-2003, 6:51 PM
You're about maxed out on resaw with that leg there. If you can only use a 1/4" band, and it falls off... I'm thinking thrifty nickel that thing and step up. Anyone with a nice 20" planer deserves a better bandsaw!! Ask yourself - are there time when you need to use the saw but don't 'cuz of its quirks? If so, give it the boot. If not, maybe she's good for a few more years.

Todd.

Tom Sweeney
07-22-2003, 7:02 PM
You need a new bandsaw! :D

Bob Oswin
07-22-2003, 7:45 PM
Really thinking of a nice 24" something for retirement keeping to play with when I get old.

This will be the last bandsaw you will probably ever have..........!
Get the one you want and make the children cry over it at your grave. ;)

Bob

Doug Jones
07-22-2003, 8:17 PM
If I had to justify the wood tools I have, I'd never gotten into this hobby. Mr. Hatfield, just do it the way I do it. Go buy the tool then justify it by using it to make something for the wife. Only my $0.02 worth.
Good luck, Doug

Steve Clardy
07-22-2003, 8:24 PM
go ahead and get my purchases 9 out of ten times without even saying anything to wife. Then I just expect the reaming to come automatically!!
Steve :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mike Mastin
07-22-2003, 8:36 PM
go ahead and get my purchases 9 out of ten times without even saying anything to wife. Then I just expect the reaming to come automatically!!
Steve :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Steve,

I do the same thing :-) Been married for 19 years now and I think that I maybe breaking this gal in finally :-) Now that I have a business I just buy and she never questions anything, except "How do you plan on paying for that!" It's all a matter of perspective I guess.

Bobby,
From the quality of the work that I have seen from you, I would not even be wondering about it. I believe that you have already earned the right to make this choice :-)

Hal Flynt
07-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Let's look at some other justifications:

For health reasons: A new one is safer, creating less stress, which leads to a longer life.

Buy one on sale and when asked "how much did that cost", simply reply "I saved $xx."

21 years of service on the old one divided into the original cost divided by 12for the cost per month and gosh, you can't pass that up. :cool:

Steve Clardy
07-23-2003, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Mastin]Steve,

I do the same thing :-) Been married for 19 years now and I think that I maybe breaking this gal in finally :-) Now that I have a business I just buy and she never questions anything, except "How do you plan on paying for that!" It's all a matter of perspective I guess.

Mike, understand perfectly. I've been trying to break mine in for almost 30 years, [next month], and just when I decide the deed is done, it seems to back up on me!!!!! Oh well, life goes on? lol, Steve :rolleyes:

Go ahead and buy the saw Bobby, tell Her you have my permission, and see how far that goes. lol, Steve

Glenn Clabo
07-23-2003, 12:58 PM
Bobby,
1. Your eyes are getting worse...so you need a bigger one so you can see it better.
2. Your back is acting up more and more...so you need a taller one so you don't have to bend over so much.

If I can be of any more assistance...just ask.

Bobby Hatfield
07-23-2003, 1:41 PM
Here is all the evidence I have for justification for a new bandsaw

Thanks all, I'm convinced, now all I have to do is make up my mind which new tool to get first, edge sander, drum sander, bandsaw, or OSS. I have an order for another set of cabinet doors so the edge sander may be first.

Richard McComas
07-23-2003, 2:58 PM
Here is all the evidence I have for justification for a new bandsaw, any help will be appreciated. Old gal is an 82 model and has had a hard life but is no match for new technology, she has had lots of modifications and custom attachments that won't fit a new model but they should count in her favor. She has her quirks and looses her blade if you back up, I guess due to her worn tires and weak spring. Only enough strength for a 1/4"-3 tooth and a little grabby at times, maybe not her fault. All in all, not of a mind to put her out to pasture with a certain hog of a 18" Griz that has personality problems that is only good for small logs and eight inch timbers.

Is that word "justification" in the dictionary??

In my veiw you don't need no stinking justification to acquire new tools.
All you really need is the "WANT" and the "CASH". ;)

Phil Phelps
07-23-2003, 3:38 PM
....what a no-brainer. How old are 'ya? Don't mention it. Enjoy the new saw. :D