PDA

View Full Version : Small Boxes

Perry Holbrook
01-29-2006, 9:44 PM
I spent the day taking photos of all my small boxes both old and new desaigns for a planned brochure. Thought you may be interested. Most are wood but some are copper, steel and the last ones are clay that haven't been glazed yet.

Perry

Sorry, something happened to my link.

OK, I'll try again. Looks like when I made the files small enough for here, the quality is not the best. Anyway, you get the idea.

Perry Holbrook
01-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Here's the rest of them.

Perry

Jerry Todd
01-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Wow!! Those are cool. How small are they? Kind of hard to determine the size without a scale.

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Perry those are awesome. Are they as small as they look? Great work.

Jason Tuinstra
01-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Perry, what a great little assortment of boxes. Very creative.

Vaughn McMillan
01-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Very nice work, Perry. You've definitely got a signature look, yet each piece is unique and stands out from the others.

- Vaughn

Bob Noles
01-30-2006, 6:24 AM
Perry,

What a great collection of boxes. I have become somewhat of a box admirer as of late and your collection was a treasure chest of a find :D

Thanks for sharing them.

Michael Stafford
01-30-2006, 7:14 AM
Great little boxes, Perry. I am the proud owner of a Holbrook and it looks like I need to add some to my collection. Good stuff!!!!;)

Perry Holbrook
01-30-2006, 8:04 AM
Sorry again about the quality of the photos. I'm not really sure what is wrong.

As far as sizes, almost all of them will fit into a 4x4x4 gift box. They were all shot with the same settings so they are proportional. The smallest one is the little turned one (about 2x2) the red top band saw box on is probably the largest at about 5x2.

Thanks for looking, now to figure out if there's something wrong with several hours worth of photography.

Perry

Jeff Sudmeier
01-30-2006, 8:46 AM
Perry, they look really great and original. Good luck with your brochure!

Shelley Bolster
01-30-2006, 8:49 AM
That is a wonderful display of imagination and talent Perry. Good luck with straightening out your imaging problems.

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 9:35 AM
Perry, I really like the interesting variations of the footed boxes. Very nice pull-through in the line!

On your photos, it looks like you kicked the compression up big-time. I don't know what software you are using, but I generally reduce the photos to 640 pixels wide in Photoshop Elements, hit them one time with the "Sharpen" filter and then save-as with a quality setting of 3-5, depending on what the resulting file size will be. This provides sharp pictures for web and email display at under 100kb file sizes.

Scott Banbury
01-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Perry,

Your material use is stunning and the designs are very distinguished.

How do you cut those little finger joints?

Perry Holbrook
01-30-2006, 7:57 PM
Scott, about 15 years ago at a WW show in Charlotte, I fell for a guys gizmo on cutting small finger joints on an angle. Used it a few times, and filed it away thinking it may be good for something someday.

It's basically a box joint jig but the back board is on an angle, so it cuts the groves on an angle. Works OK but figureing out how wide the stock should be to get the spacing to work out evenly and where to start the indexing on those 3 and 6 sided boxes was not easy.

If those sell well, I'll probably buy an inexpensive table top TS and just leave it set up for those.

Hope that answers your question. -Perry

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-30-2006, 8:59 PM
Very interesting stuff. Good Lookin', too.

Bruce

Brian Hooey
01-31-2006, 11:00 PM
This must mean you're ready for the show. Looks like we're just a few booths away. The boxes look great. They should be a hit (again).

This is my first post. I saw your name and couldn't resist.

Perry Holbrook
02-01-2006, 8:02 AM
Hey Brian, welcome to SMC. Be sure to do a formal introduction to everyone at some point and post a few pix of your work. See you in Philly.

Perry

Chris Barton
02-01-2006, 8:05 AM
very nice work!:D