PDA

View Full Version : Not Bowls

Eugene Dixon
04-14-2023, 4:16 PM
On occasion I turn something different than a bowl. Still pretty simple stuff. The vase is Bradford pear with two coats of Mahoney's oil. About ~6"dia. X 8" tall.

Pens anyone?

Robert Hayward
04-14-2023, 5:26 PM
Very nice. I like the vase. Was that a piece of crotch?

John Kananis
04-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Very nice vase. I don't think I'm confident enough to try something like that yet. It's there a chance that piece comes apart while turning? Due to the split?

Eugene Dixon
04-18-2023, 12:17 PM
Very nice vase. I don't think I'm confident enough to try something like that yet. It's there a chance that piece comes apart while turning? Due to the split?

Certainly. I keep a close eye on the tenon and usually start the coring with a forester bit. I watch for cracks and crack propagation. When I feel the risk is too high, I will put it in the trash. Once the outside is turned, I have wrapped it with reinforced tape. I'v filled one with a 1/4" of epoxy pour in the bottom for insurance.

FWIW, I got a 3 branch oak crotch that was suspect. The tree was downed 3 weeks ago. I cut logs for bowls Saturday Looked at it Sunday and one leg was 'rattling'; only a bark bond. A quick tap with the sledge hammer and it came off. Good! The other 2 branch piece might make to crotch blanks.

Got to keep looking at these things.

The one in the photo above has a very solid bottom. Only one pith is left in the vase. As it dried, the pith started cracking. But, then again it is Bradford pear.