PDA

View Full Version : Project: Doll Cradles (with Anastasiya)

Jim Becker
01-29-2006, 9:14 PM
While we were "window shopping" at a local "mecca" for such things (Peddler's Village in Lahaska PA), we ventured into the doll store. Oh, my...not the best idea with a couple young girls in tow...it was "please buy this" constantly. One of the items that was pointed out, however, was a cradle designed for baby dolls. While we obviously were not going to buy anything, I did pipe up that we could make some cradles, just like we made the Barbie beds not long ago. So today, we did.

10 year old Anastasiya (Nastia) showed surprising patience with me in that I had to explain that I, a) needed to work on another small project for a bit and b) had to do a lot of work preparing the pieces to make the cradles. (I didn't want her in the shop while I was working with the power tools and I also knew it would take a few hours to get through the prep work) But at about 5:00p, I was ready for her to do the final assembly.

First things first, however...and I'll keep this as a simple pictorial 'cause there are a lot of pictures. I figure it will be useful for folks to see the various steps I took to make up this project and I have to laugh as I used a lot of tools doing it...just like I would with a larger project. So...here it goes...

Pics:
Layout of the ends and rocking feet using some cardstock
Transfer of the pattern to a piece of 1/2" plywood ripped to width
Crosscutting the cradle ends
Using the MFT to knock of the angles on the sides of the cradle ends
Cutting the curves on the top of the cradle ends

Jim Becker
01-29-2006, 9:21 PM
Pics:

Sanding the edges smooth at the OSS
Applying edging on the sides of the cradle ends with glue and pins
Leveling the edge banding at the drum sander
Cutting out the rockers at the bandsaw (later smoothed at the OSS)
Rounding over the top of the cradle sides.

Jim Becker
01-29-2006, 9:26 PM
Pics:
Rounding over the rockers...using a shop-made jig to hold the workpiece
Putting a slight round-over on the tops of the cradle ends and the outside corners of the sides
Nastia starting to assemble the first cradle. I bascially "kitted" the two cradles so that all she had to do was drive in the pocket screws (I pre-installed them and removed them to ease the process) and fasten the rockers. I already fastened the sides to the bottoms with glue and a few brads prior to letting her start work
Nastia continuing the assembly of the sides to the ends
More screw driving...

Jim Becker
01-29-2006, 9:28 PM
Pics:

Nastia installing the screws that will hold the rockers on the bottom of the cradle...we did switch to the Festool 12v driver as driving them by hand proved to be too difficult, even with the predrilling, but I had to help her guide it and hold it up as it's a little heavy for her
Done!BTW, these are made with 1/2" birch plywood and black walnut off our property. She decided not to apply a finish at this time (better for instant gratification) and I indicated we would do that when the weather got warmer.

Jim Dunn
01-29-2006, 9:44 PM
Jim she need a little apron, pencil and tape. Sweet pics and a great little helper. My grand daughter is afraid of the DC so I have to wait a little longer to get her in the shop, course she's only 19month old.:)

Charlie Plesums
01-29-2006, 9:53 PM
Neat kid, neat project, and neat pictures. When is the next installment on the blog?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2006, 9:56 PM
She looks like she enjoying it Dad! I know you are too! Congrats and save these photos!

Roger Myers
01-29-2006, 9:59 PM
Priceless....simply priceless!

Russ Massery
01-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Excellent project Jim. I very fond memories of my father and I building birdhouses in the garage. like Roger said priceless.................

Karl Laustrup
01-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Great post Jim. Thanks for the step by step.

Won't be long and you can start teaching Nastia from the beginning of a project. That will be kewel. :cool:

Karl

Howard Rosenberg
01-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Thank you for sharing these photos.

Your thoroughness and attention to detail might mystify your daughter now, but when she gives the cradle to HER daughter....

All the very best.
Howard

Jim Becker
01-29-2006, 10:51 PM
When is the next installment on the blog?

Yesterday... http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com

she need a little apron

I don't wear one...or even have one!

Won't be long and you can start teaching Nastia from the beginning of a project.

That will be nice, but I suspect it will be some time for that. Her 10 year old attention span is still pretty short. But she is starting to get a small inkling that many things can be possible if she/we is/are willing to make it happen. Even though I'm financially able to totally spoil these kids (at least at present...) I refuse to do so. I didn't grow up that way and I don't want them to, either. My mother taught me how to cook, sew, knit, do laundry, etc., and there is no reason why my girls can't learn how to make things, how to fix things and how things work...or don't as the case may be.

Lou Morrissette
01-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Great post, Jim. Looks like a new lady Creeker coming on line soon.

Lou

Perry Holbrook
01-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Nice going Jim. I wish my oldest daughter had spent some time in my shop when she was younger. Now at 30, she has no concept of what is required to build anything, and therefore doesn't appreciate hand made items as much as she should. Getting them in the shop early has many benefits for later in life.

Brad Schmid
01-29-2006, 11:06 PM
The smile of accomplishment at the end, It doesn't get any better than that!

Allen Grimes
01-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Yesterday... http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com (http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com)
Wow Jim, I didnt know that you adopted her and her sister. Adoption to me is one of the greatest things people can do, I applaud you and your wife. I now hold you in a much higher respect.

Also great job on the project. One question, was that the same design as you saw at the toy store or is it your own?

Pete Harbin
01-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Well done all around Dad! Especially in teaching them to think and do for themselves. You are already preparing them to excel past 90% of their peers by instilling a sense of work ethic and appreciation for knowledge, and in the years to come they will love Daddy even more for it. Way to go!

Pete

PS...oh yeah, nice cradles too! :D

lloyd morris
01-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Jim,

The last picture with Nastia's arms open wide and the two cradles in front of her are the best. She seems so proud and happy and joyous! They are lucky little girls to have you guys as parents.

A quick question about your Festool Saw, Guide and Table. It appears as if you are cutting on the table itself but the surface does not look like the saw is scoring or cutting the top.

Does the workpiece actually sit up off the table somehow or do you cut into the top with each pass of the saw?

Thanks,

Lloyd

Phil Dahlquist
01-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Great project Jim. I really like the contrasting birch and walnut. You've also made me feel less guilty about using pocket screws on my recent doll bed project.

Jason Tuinstra
01-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Jim, great set of pictures as you take us through this father-daughter moment in the shop. I'm glad to see you making it all about family. Great job on both fronts!

Jeff Sudmeier
01-30-2006, 8:56 AM
Jim, this is really great! I am sure you just love that she was able to help you in the shop! I can't wait until my daughter can :)

Michael Stafford
01-30-2006, 9:16 AM
That picture of Nastia acknowledging the crowd would indicate that she is not shy. Do I detect a flamboyant gene? How cute! I had three little sisters and I remember those days well. When all my nieces were little I made them all doll cradles. They are grown now but they all still have them and display them as prized objects. Wonderful Jim!:D

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 9:53 AM
One question, was that the same design as you saw at the toy store or is it your own?
Um....I "visualized" it while sipping my latte that morning and just started cutting away after scribbling out the two templates shown in the first picture. I didn't want it to look like a box, however, so the ends are canted out 5 degrees as are the sides. That was pretty simple to do without going crazy as it only required a few simple setups on the TS and CMS.

These cradles will actually look a lot better once there is a finish on them, especially the walnut. But that will have to wait until warm weather at this point.

A quick question about your Festool Saw, Guide and Table. It appears as if you are cutting on the table itself but the surface does not look like the saw is scoring or cutting the top.

Does the workpiece actually sit up off the table somehow or do you cut into the top with each pass of the saw?
The saw depth of cut is adjusted so it just scores the table top...which in effect, makes for zero clearance on the bottom. It also serves as an additional layout mark for where the cut will be at the bottom and is directly in-line with the edge of the guide. The saw always moves exactly in the same place, so there is only one score across the top. The guide is at exactly 90 degrees from the fence so material against the fence will be cut exactly perpendicular to the edge. The cuts I made to knock of the angles on the sides of the cradle ends were done "free hand" with the edge of the guide just placed along the cut line. The Festool guides are non-slip and hold the workpiece in place quite nicely.
-------

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. They are appreciated.

Allen Grimes
01-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Um....I "visualized" it while sipping my latte that morning and just started cutting away after scribbling out the two templates shown in the first picture. I didn't want it to look like a box, however, so the ends are canted out 5 degrees as are the sides. That was pretty simple to do without going crazy as it only required a few simple setups on the TS and CMS.

These cradles will actually look a lot better once there is a finish on them, especially the walnut. But that will have to wait until warm weather at this point.Jim, the reason why I asked is because most kids (at least the ones I know) arent happy unless they get exactly what they saw at the toystore and she looks pretty happy judging by the last pictures.

Anyway, good job. I cant wait for my son to be old enough that I can take him into the shop to work on small projects with me.

Peter Pedisich
01-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Jim,

Great pictures, your daughter will have these memories with her dad always. I still remember clearly when my dad helped me make projects in the garage or basement, it's part of who I am today.
My little boy is just 3 and I can't wait until he's old enough to work on some simple projects.

Great job on the cradles!

Pete

Martin Shupe
01-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Jim,

Once again, you have proved that you have the "right stuff" to be an outstanding father. Keep us posted on your family's progress. It will be a delight watching the girls grow up.

For those of you who have not read Jim and Alison's blog, it is well worth your time.

Ron Fritz
01-30-2006, 9:20 PM
Jim; thanks for sharing the pictures. What a fantastic opportunity you had to share the experience with your daughter. I'm sure she won't forget. Now you've given me the bug to build a doll cradle for my granddaughter. Ron

Jim Becker
01-30-2006, 9:27 PM
Now you've given me the bug to build a doll cradle for my granddaughter. Ron
Do it, Ron. Projects like this can be quite enjoyable and due to their scale, can either fill the gaps between larger projects as well as give you opportunity to complete something when your time is constrained.

lou sansone
01-31-2006, 5:47 AM
nice job jim..

I have found that with teaching youngsters that you can sort of double their age ( 2x10 = 20 minutes , for instance ) and that is about the normal attention span for them. Obviously each kid is different, and the younger they are the closer to age = attention span time. I would say that by 12 many kids will do fine with small projects done in installments.

the cradles are very nicely designed - I also think the the concept of "we wont buy that thing, but we could make it back in the shop is great"

lou

Jim Becker
01-31-2006, 10:01 AM
That's about right, Lou...it took about 20 minutes to do the final assembly that Nastia was involved in and that was about her limit...which is why we didn't pursue finishing them right now.

Sam Chambers
01-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Jim, thanks for the photos of the project and Nastia. Plenty to be proud of in both cases.

One question...Are you really that tall, or did you place all of your tools in 12" deep holes?

Jim Becker
01-31-2006, 11:08 AM
One question...Are you really that tall, or did you place all of your tools in 12" deep holes?

I am 5' 11". All my tool surfaces are at about 35". The workbench height is adjustable, but is set to about 35" in the pictures.

John Miliunas
01-31-2006, 7:48 PM
Way cool, Jim! And I can remember when you thought your shop time would be near non-existent after your daughters came home. Seems to me you're having more fun in there than is allowed by law!:D Nastia appears to be a very willing co-conspirator, as well! That's gotta' be the best!!! :D :cool:

Maurice Ungaro
02-01-2006, 8:20 AM
Jim, I now know why you've got such an impressive workshop - so you can make a 10 year old daughter beam with joy. I'd say it's worth it!

Jim Becker
02-01-2006, 9:19 AM
Jim, I now know why you've got such an impressive workshop - so you can make a 10 year old daughter beam with joy. I'd say it's worth it!

No...it's because before I aquired said 10 year old (and her 6 year old sister) I had disposable income.... :o :eek:

But it does please me that I can, in some way, combine my woodworking satisfaction with my expanded family. :)