PDA

View Full Version : Band saw tire size

Jay Knobbe
04-12-2023, 7:11 PM
Good Evening,
I was gifted a Craftsman 9" band saw. Model 147.214130 (no laughing allowed) I cleaned it up put a new blade on it and went through all the adjustments available.
It worked like a charm and allowed me to do some cuts I would not have otherwise been able to accomplish. I was pretty happy until a tire snapped.
I ordered a replacement through Amazon. .500 width x .095 thick. The brand is IMPRESA.
The new tire is too wide for the groove. the groove in the aluminum wheel is only .475 wide and the new tire is .510 wide. A .035 difference.
As a point of reference the old tire is .470 wide.
Soaking the tire in extremely hot water was no help.
Sears own website says this part is no longer available.

Any thoughts on what I might do to resolve this and get the tires installed?
TIA

Doug Garson
04-12-2023, 8:06 PM
You can cut it with a utility blade. Not sure the best method but I'd put it on registered against one side of the groove and cut it to match the other. Doesn't have to be pretty or dead accurate, just enough that it sits in the groove.

Lee Schierer
04-12-2023, 9:37 PM
Contact the folks at Sulphur Grove Tool (https://sgtool.com/). My 14" band saw had a similar issue. I discovered a few things. The stretch of the new tire onto the wheel reduces the width to a degree. Also the crown of the wheel also reduces the width by a bit more. Sulphur grove will also make a custom tire for you if needed. I am very pleased with my new tires.

As far as putting the tire on, their directions were to put the tire in very warm water with a bit of dawn detergent. It makes slipping it on much easier. Be careful not to put the tire in boiling water for several reasons. First it will be too hot to work with. Second it will damage the urethane.

Are you sure the model number isn't 137.214130 instead of 147.214130, because they have tires listed for the 137.2141130 (https://sgtool.com/product-category/urethane-band-saw-tires/by-manufacturer-model/?wpf_filter_band-saw-manufacturer=craftsman&wpf_filter_band-saw-size=09&wpf_filter_band-saw-model=137-214130)

Jay Knobbe
04-13-2023, 8:17 AM
Lee, you were spot on. Stretching the tire onto the wheel makes it narrower and then I could work it into position. Thanks!!