PDA

View Full Version : Confession of a Reluctant Lurker

ROBERT ELLIS
01-29-2006, 9:09 PM
I was curious as to why folks take so long in becoming a member to the Creek? For me, I've been checking out this site for a few months without registering as a member. I had no problem joining up at a couple of other web sites (both produce national magazines) but when it came to joining in at the "creek", for some reason I couldn't bring myself too. I came to the conclusion that you folks are just to darn friendly and personal, why you go as far as asking your members to use their real name.

Seriously though, I found myself visiting this site more than the other two over the last few months, and even lately I've pretty much quit the others and drop in here almost exclusively. So - have you got room for one more?

A note about myself...I'm a full time woodworker, making pretty much a small line of mostly cherry (Shaker style) furniture. Been at it on and off since 97' and nearly all I make gets sold wholesale to furniture stores in Kentucky. I have some nice pictures of my work, but probably can't post them here because of thier size (pixels?).

To my original question, why did some of you wait so long before becoming a member?

Robert

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2006, 9:19 PM
Robert......Welcome to the Creek! Wade right in the water's fine! A neat civil place where beginners and pros exchange information. Again .....Welcome!

Steve Ash
01-29-2006, 9:21 PM
Welcome Robert....I have no idea why anyone would wait so long to meet all the wonderful, knowledgeable and helpful people here at the "Creek" Glad you found us though.

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 9:27 PM
Robert,

Glad to have you join the fun and games. The creek is one of the nicest place on the internet for woodworkers to hang out and discuss our interests. I don't know why anyone would hesitate jumping right in and joining the fun.... I sure didn't :D

Hope to see you around frequently.

Jim Dunn
01-29-2006, 9:34 PM
Robert, real glad to see ya here. I waited about 1 week before I had a question/comment I wanted to post, then I joined. I'm a complete newbie and it was a little overwelming to see all the "pro's" who posted here and their accomplishments. But they seemed like a nice bunch of fellows, ceptin for that Andy guy, on the turner fourm, who's gonna blow any day now:) The skill lever displayed here is great and everyone from the pro to the newbie is able to add comments without fear of it being called a silly question.

Jim

Tom Pritchard
01-29-2006, 9:36 PM
Robert, welcome aboard!

I joined the first time I logged in, and this is now the only forum I participate in! Great folks, no sniipeing or individual affronts, just good fellowship and a whole lot of learning. You're gonna love this place:D !

Mark Singer
01-29-2006, 9:41 PM
Robert!
I have lost all sence of time...joined the Creek quickly and post toasted myself all the way to here to say welcome the Creek awaits you ;)

Tom Hamilton
01-29-2006, 9:41 PM
Welcome Robert:

Don't worry, it's real. Wade in, paddle around a while and it won't be affected by the tide or winds.

The Creek is constant.

Just so you know, pics are a requirement for projects, shops and anything else the picture police deem appropriate! ;)

Welcome. Tom

Alan Turner
01-29-2006, 9:44 PM
Robert,
Welcome to the creek. This is a friendly place, and you are welcome here. As to the pix, there is a free program called pixresizer, and with that you can adjust the size of your photos.
We'd all like to see your work. There are a few shaker guys here.

Jim Becker
01-29-2006, 9:52 PM
I joined the minute I found the place...

Welcome to the 'Creek, Robert!! And I hope you show lots of your work...there are many "cherry-o-holics" and "Shaker-o-holics" here, both vocal and lurking. Wonderful stuff.

Roger Myers
01-29-2006, 10:06 PM
I know what you mean Robert...it took me almost a week when this place started up after the demise of Badger Pond :)
Seriously, this is a great place....and welcome.
I think the lack of using screen names holds some people back, but the civility and moderation of this place is what keeps me visiting every single day....
Glad to have you with us.
Roger

Karl Laustrup
01-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Robert, glad to have you aboard. There always seems to be room for one more. :D

We do like things made of cherry. :D We do like the Shaker style. :D We do like pictures. :D :D

As Alan mentioned Pixresizer is a great program for shrinking pix. It's a free download. No excuses now. ;) :D

Karl

Cecil Arnold
01-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the creek Robert. I contacted a fellow on a manufacturer's thread to inquire about his band saw problems while looking into them. He recommended SMC in his reply. I lurked about twice, then joined. I found it much more civilized than the other places I had been hanging out, even though Lee Deruud and I both think we are thread killers here, but not intentionally.

Frank Pellow
01-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Robert, welcome to Saw Mill Creek.

But, I am fraid that I can't answer your question. I joined up as soon as I found the place.

Keith Outten
01-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Robert,

Welcome to The Creek. I am also interested in the answer to your question and I would venture a guess that our use of real names is the reason many hesitate to join. As you can see it has everything to do with our community and how friendly everyone is here.

Just to make you feel at home, being a lover of cherry, here is a picture of a project I am working on these days at CNU. The work isn't mine, we have a contractor installing the solid cherry panels and millwork in the Student Union Atrium at CNU. The building is under construction and due to open in late May 2006.

Jim O'Dell
01-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Welcome Robert! Interested in seeing some of your Shaker work. I'm leaning more and more that direction these days, at least in my mind until I get the shop up and going.
I can't remember how long I lurked before joining...I know I didn't join instantly, but wasn't more than a week or two, IIRC. Now it may have been a while before I "spoke up". :D :D Jim.

Andy Hoyt
01-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Greetings from the top right corner, Robert.

Yup. I lurked for an extremely long time as well.

About two point three nano seconds.:D

Dennis Peacock
01-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Welcome Robert!!!! Don't lurk so long next time. Just jump on in and share what you know, learn all you can and enjoy your visit or stay at Sawmill Creek!!!! Don't forget to post your Weekend Accomplishments when I make the post in the morning!!!! It's "tradition" ya know. I've been doing the Weekend Accomplishments long before SMC ever came in to existance and when Badger Pond closed down, The Weekend Accomplishments and myself moved right over to keep the fun and adventure moving along.

Welcome Robert!!!!!!!

Martin Shupe
01-30-2006, 2:23 AM
Welcome, Robert. We always have room for another Shaker enthusiast. Perhaps if we get a few more, we can get our own forum.:rolleyes:

I joined in the beginning, when SMC flowed from the Badger Pond after the dam was blown up. People probably hesitate over the "real name" requirement, but I think it is a great policy. It keeps this place much more civil than others. Oh, people still disagree here, but most do it politely.

Hey, if you have not already, do a search on Jason Tuinstra, and look at all the threads he has started. He makes Shaker stuff that will knock your socks off!

Dan Bundy
01-30-2006, 7:37 AM
Welcome from another Kentuckian!

Fred Voorhees
01-30-2006, 7:45 AM
Robert, I thought that someone would have posted the web site of the Pix resizer. Here it is and yes, it is very easy to use. I use it all of the time for this and other sites. http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Rob Russell
01-30-2006, 7:49 AM
Robert,

I joined pretty much as soon as I found the site. I can't remember much from back then - that was 2 years ago!

Welcome to SMC. Glad you're not lurking anymore. http://www.fadzter.com/smilies/lurking.gif It's great to have another professional woodworker posting and sharing your experience.

Rob

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-30-2006, 8:23 AM
Welcome Robert, I hope you can get a handle on resizing your pics, I'd sure like to see them.

I can't answer your question either, I just jumped right in after these guys found my website and crashed my server! I figured anyone that interested on the goings on down in the Dungeon must be fairly bright folks......and I was right.........

Watch out for them Turner guys, they go all round on you.... :D

Peter Stahl
01-30-2006, 9:12 AM
Just make up a name, and this isn't my real face either, would someone admit to that. Just kidding, welcome to the creek.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-30-2006, 9:16 AM
Robert, welcome to the creek!! I am glad that you have signed up. SMC is a very personal forum and we all feel that we know one another. I can see that some would think we are "exclusive" without looking into SMC further.

It didn't take me long to join either.. maybe a day or two. I was just sick of that "other" forum.

Tom Stover
01-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Though I have been a member for a while I don't post very often. I come here every day and read the posts and get my questions answered that way. It seems someone has already asked the question I need answered. Where in Ky. are you? I'm south of Louisville and Gary Max is in south central Ky.

larry merlau
01-30-2006, 11:10 AM
welcome robert, and you can get loads of info from all walks of the hobbiest to the pro, and they run a real tight ship,, the others arent always ran as well. and every creeker i have meet is a real good person friendly and helpful. once again welcome

Von Bickley
01-30-2006, 1:02 PM
Robert,
Welcome to the Creek...

Love that Shaker style furniture. Are you close to the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill?

Bob Swenson
01-30-2006, 3:43 PM
From one Robert to an other Robert --- WELCOME;)

John Bailey
01-30-2006, 4:13 PM
Robert,

Welcome to the "Creek." As you're aware, this is a great place to get expert information, comraderie, comedy and comity. You'll like it as long as you get that "pixel" thing worked out.

John

Greg Heppeard
01-30-2006, 4:39 PM
Welcome, Robert. Pull up a seat and sit a spell.

Ed Breen
01-30-2006, 4:57 PM
Greetings Robert;
Welcome to the creek! I can't remember how long I lurked, but for me this was my first forum ( and is still the only one to which I belong.)
Creeker and proud of it!!:)
Ed

ROBERT ELLIS
01-31-2006, 7:48 PM
Thanks to all for the friendly overtures! I tried to respond last night but for some reason I could log in but not post any responses...sent an email to the webmaster and things seem to have been corrected..thanks.

Tom Stover - you asked where in Kentucky do I hail from? Between Campbellsville and Columbia KY. For decades this area has produced what they called "Cherry Reproduction Furniture". Several of these shops produced a lot of very similiar type pieces. I eased into the market making different types of furniture using the same color they did, thereby enabling me to get into the market and not being a direct threat. With 9-11, and influx in Asian Furniture much has changed, several shops closed up and I noticed I had a harder time selling pieces. It became a buyers market. But with the Lords help I survived.

Von Bickley - you asked was I close to Shaker Village @ Pleasant Hill? Sort of, about 60 miles. My wife and I try to go there every year for the Arts and Crafts Festival. One of these days I hope to get juried in with the Ky Craft Market and eventually try to sell some of my work there.

A few of you mentioned pix resizer. I have Kodak Easy Share and can crop my pictures somewhat - is this basically what pix resizer does?

Thanks again for the warm welcomes!

Robert

Jerry Olexa
01-31-2006, 9:20 PM
Welcome aboard!! Glad you're here. For the pictures, cropping will eliminate portions of your pic. A PixreSizer (or Paint in Windows under Accessories) will reduce the total picture to the size that will fit in this forum. I try to keep mine under 100kb or 600 pixels. There are several old threads on this. Search should get it for you...

Tom Stover
01-31-2006, 9:28 PM
Robert, my wife and I were down your way sunday, and even stopped in the Wal-mart in Campbellsville. We were on our way to see Gary Max and his wife Margie, you probably don't live a stones throw from them.

John Hart
01-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Welcome Robert! I didn't wait to join....just sorta fell in the water and now I can't get out!!!!:eek: :D

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Welcome Robert. Lots of good folks here and lots of knowledge. I joined the minute I read a couple of posts.

Gary Max
02-01-2006, 9:58 AM
Hey neighbor-------I am up on the north end of Green River lake---casey creek is just across the road from us. Heck Robert if you get out running around stop in.

Roger Bailey
02-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Hello Robert, and welcome! I joined pretty quick my self. As soon as I seen the many people who post here and the large amount of knowledge it was a simple choice. I do not post much because most of my questions get answered before I need to ask. That's service! I also am real fond of the shaker style too!

Anthony Anderson
02-01-2006, 2:43 PM
Robert, Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I am like you in that I previously visited other forums, and eventually just lost interest (in the forums). One of the sites that I previously frequented had a couple of people that were very knowledgable and they posted often. On one occassion one of the very knowledgable people posted a not so positive opinion (somewhat objective, but with hints of opinion) of a particular tool. It just so happened that the manufacturer of that tool was a major advertiser of this particular magazine (that hosted the forum). The very knowledgable poster was warned by a lengthy post from the editor of the magazine warning litigation. As I recall the post did not deserve the kind of attention that it got from the new editor. The poster never returned (I am not sure if this was the reason or not). The warning and lengthy letter from the editor left a bad taste, and I returned to the forum maybe two or three more times and never went back.

This site is the most friendly place that you will find. Great people. Just like you I was hesitant to become a member, and the idea of posting under my real name was different. But I don't say anything on this forum that I would not say to an actual person. Just the way I am, for better or worse. And I quickly realized that this place was not like the rest, it it like a group of friends talking. Enjoy yourself, and looking forward to you sharing your knowledge. Regards, Bill

Brian Jarnell
02-02-2006, 1:56 PM
This may be of some help.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/digitalimaging/f/howreducesize.htm

Jesse Merino
02-05-2006, 7:34 AM
Nice to make your aquaintance Robert...

I too was reluctant to post on the Creek....

Being a "Wood Butcher" from way back when ...and still aint got it right... I was a wee bit intimidated, seeing that everyone seems to be expert at this, and that, and I still putter around the shop when my wife notices that my tools are getting dusty, or I havent been down there for quite some time....

Being recently retired...she wants me to use them every day now...
But, it aint gonna happen! I gotta enjoy a wee bit of retirment first...THEN, start working again LOL!!!

(That honey do list, is just getting a wee bit long in the tooth, and rolling out the door... I may have to get a real job soon, so I can afford someone else to do that!!)...Jesse