PDA

View Full Version : 100% cotton crew socks

Stephen Tashiro
04-10-2023, 3:42 AM
Where can I buy old fashioned 100% cotton crew socks?

The crew socks for sale locally are mostly cotton but they are designed to stretch over the foot and have enough polyester to implement that design. I find them uncomfortable and the toes wear through quickly. Amazon has https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Cotton-White-Seamless-Socks/dp/B08ZKWSR11/ref=sr_1_8?crid=17RW6LJ2G3H9N&keywords=100%25%2Bcotton%2Bcrew%2Bsocks&qid=1681111847&sprefix=100%25%2Bcotton%2Bcrew%2Caps%2C1084&sr=8-8&th=1 , but reviews say these are thin like dress socks.

Bill George
04-10-2023, 7:59 AM
I had ordered some Carhatt socks and some types are fine but others way to tight. I have switched over to Wigwam and I get from Amazon as I get tired of driving someplace and no one there has a clue! They are 55% Polyester, 44% Cotton, 1% Spandex
and Made in the USA they are not cheap! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TA8LJ8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Ole Anderson
04-10-2023, 8:10 AM
Dickies makes 70% cotton crew socks in various colors. Personally I prefer their quarter length socks. https://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Dri-Tech-Moisture-Control-Mid-Crew/dp/B08YLY7VLS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=HT8QBGLKS15O&keywords=dickies+crew+socks&qid=1681127952&sprefix=dickies+crew+socks%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-4

Tom M King
04-10-2023, 8:51 AM
I'm still looking for good ones too. So far, I don't think there are any I haven't tried, and still looking. They're all going to have some percentage of stretchy stuff other than cotton. The expensive ones, I forget the brand name, where they give one pair free to charity, are about one use socks for me, so too expensive.

Under Armour's seem to last the best, but I'm not the biggest fan for the tight part around the instep.

Balega's are pretty good, but I'd prefer cotton too.

For cold weather, I've gone to Alpaca.

George Armstrong
04-10-2023, 10:35 AM
I second the Wigwam suggestion above. Wear them all day EVERY day Summer/Winter. Last order was Aug of 2018. Ordered 10 pair. Still going strong. Have used the Wigwam sock for years.

Tom M King
04-10-2023, 10:46 AM
Wigwam socks, even the King Cotton, don't stay up on my heavily tapered calves.

Ron Selzer
04-10-2023, 11:30 AM
I buy extra-long tube socks from SOCKBROKER.COM Have been very happy with what I get and reorder as needed.
Ron

Bill Dufour
04-10-2023, 12:26 PM
odd ball socks are size 14-18. So shoe size 12-16
75% cotton.

Most socks max out at size 12 -14 so fit 10-12 shoe size. That means the toe wears out fast for me. For the oddball socks the entire sock wears out not just the toe. So they last much longer for me.
Bill D.
https://www.oddball.com/products/oddball-classic-crew-sock-6-pack-white?variant=42849782497435&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3KyshNuf_gIVcgytBh1dbAp1EAQYAyAB EgJtsPD_BwE

Thomas McCurnin
04-10-2023, 4:48 PM
I think GoldToe are something like 90-10 which is good enough for me.

Dave Cav
04-12-2023, 6:34 PM
According to my Amazon purchase history I have been wearing Wigwam cotton socks since 2014. I generally wear them late spring to mid fall, then switch to Ortis merino wool blend for colder weather. Both are available in xl which fits my size 13s pretty well. I was wearing the Ortis socks last night when I got called out to do some emergency sandbagging. I didn't have a chance to put my Boggs on and my feet got soaked but weren't cold unitl I walked through a snowbank and filled my shoes with snow.

Keith Pitman
04-12-2023, 9:06 PM
This is NUTS! Asking advice on sox from a woodworking forum? Next someone will ask about taxes and Social security.

Mel Fulks
04-12-2023, 9:35 PM
The socks have to be all cotton ,and washed in cold water. Or they will get smaller with each washing. To understand that , see the old
sci -fi film , “The Incredible Shrinking Man”. It’al knock your socks off !!

George Yetka
04-13-2023, 6:02 AM
Darn Tough... The only answer. They are amazing and guaranteed for life. They last about 3 years for me and then get warrantied for a new pair. My wife and I have about 30-40 pairs between us.

Warning they are about $20 a pair or more in some cases. I started with a pair or two a month on amazon

https://darntough.com/products/mens-merino-wool-run-quarter-ultra-lightweight-running-socks?variant=42173433643194

George Yetka
04-13-2023, 6:03 AM
This is NUTS! Asking advice on sox from a woodworking forum? Next someone will ask about taxes and Social security.

This is what we're all really here for

Tom M King
04-13-2023, 9:49 AM
I went to that darntough site to order some to try, and found out my Wife already had an account there. She said she doesn't like them as much as Balega's. No cotton either.

Perry Hilbert Jr
04-14-2023, 7:52 PM
For several years I wore Gold Toe brand socks. The wore well and I'd buy six pair at a time so I didn't have to go looking for a sock mate. While the ones I normally wore were the thinner dress socks, they do/did make a heavy cotton sock, that I wore in winter for working around the farm. To wear under boots for cld weather. I think the heavy socks are 100% cotton. The thinner dress socks were 100% cotton.

Frankly, I stopped wearing sock 18 months ago. I have a skin condition on my feet and it does so much better when I don't wear socks and shoes. I wear flip flops 8 months a year, even to do farm work, bale hay etc. I wear socks for special occasions, like when I must wear a coat and tie, or when I wear heavy leather shoes. Which means when I ride the Harley, Went for a ride yesterday, ran about 45 miles. Wore socks for the first time time since a funeral back in January.

Jim Becker
04-14-2023, 7:59 PM
I prefer the Gold Toe cotton crews myself. I get years out of them before replacement. Almost "nothing" is pure cotton as there needs to be some level of elasticity.

Alan Lightstone
04-16-2023, 7:24 AM
I switched to the Gold Toe after wearing Dockers for years. The last two times I had ordered the Dockers, they were thin crap.

I tried the ones that donate to charity (Bombas), but half of them are way too tight around the instep, and the others are fine. Was Russian Roulette, so I gave up on those. Colors were nice, but they hurt your feet.

Patty Hann
04-16-2023, 8:33 AM
I switched to the Gold Toe after wearing Dockers for years. The last two times I had ordered the Dockers, they were thin crap.

I tried the ones that donate to charity (Bombas), but half of them are way too tight around the instep, and the others are fine. Was Russian Roulette, so I gave up on those. Colors were nice, but they hurt your feet.

That sounds so funny ...socks that "hurt your feet". :D
Shoes that hurt your feet, not unexpected.
But socks?.... too funny. ;)

Bill George
04-20-2023, 9:27 AM
That sounds so funny ...socks that "hurt your feet". :D
Shoes that hurt your feet, not unexpected.
But socks?.... too funny. ;)

Some of the Carrharts are way to tight, I switched to Wigwam.

Patty Hann
04-21-2023, 1:42 AM
I don't wear Gold Toe tho" I did about 20 years ago.
Back then they had a bulky toe seam. I hate bulky toe seams; they give me blisters.
Do the current Gold Toe have a "seamless" toe (not actually seamless but still relatively smooth )or do they still have that bulky seam?

Jim Becker
04-21-2023, 10:49 AM
I do not perceive the seam on either Gold Toe or Hanes socks, Patty.

Mel Fulks
04-21-2023, 11:38 AM
I do not perceive the seam on either Gold Toe or Hanes socks, Patty.

Well, I guess that is one place where it’s okay to be unseemly.

Patty Hann
04-21-2023, 5:40 PM
Well, I guess that is one place where it’s okay to be unseemly.

Oh my. That is so....so....
Well, let us just say that folks have been shot for lesser offenses.:rolleyes: