PDA

View Full Version : recycled plastic picnic table?

roger wiegand
04-09-2023, 6:48 PM
Is there a recycled plastic "lumber" product that has sufficient structural strength to make a picnic table? Our church wants some tables and is wondering about the options-- they are very concerned about sustainability (btw, I know that wood can be extremely sustainable) and want to make a good choice. Low maintenance would be a huge advantage. These will be used by the public, so need to pass muster for commercial or park use. I'm not volunteering to build them... yet.

I see commercial plastic composite tables of this sort advertised for $1500-2000 each, and I suspect, but don't know that they are probably reinforced with something like aluminum channels for stiffness. The church can't afford anything like that much money.

Is there a good alternative to wood with its attendant need for upkeep and possible splinters? Thanks

John Kananis
04-09-2023, 7:02 PM
Something like trex maybe?

Jerome Stanek
04-09-2023, 7:20 PM
We made a couple out of Fiberon back about 2010 they are still in very good shape. We use them every day that it is nice enough to eat outside.

Mel Fulks
04-09-2023, 7:23 PM
Roger, I’m gonna suggest this …again! It works. Use good one side plywood. Use Tite bond 2 to glue on light canvas , or heavier
canvas . Glue to top surface and edges and and at least one inch of under top perimeter. After glue has dried ,paint top and bottom.
Some put varnish over the paint.

Earl McLain
04-09-2023, 7:47 PM
You may also want to check with your local/county Solid Waste District or similar. They may be able to provide information not only on sources (there are producers of recycled outdoor furniture & play equipment), but also on potential grants and/or subsidies that may be available. Since the church should have 501 c (3) status, there may be some financial assistance out there somewhere.
earl

Maurice Mcmurry
04-09-2023, 9:03 PM
The benches along the KATY Trail are made from recycled plastic & steel. They are a favorite gnawing destination for squirrels. I will look for a maker I.D. next time I see one.

Bruce Wrenn
04-09-2023, 9:18 PM
Benches at Kerr Lake are made of steel, and concrete. End frames are steel, and tops and benches are concrete. Because it's a flood control lake, the water can rise about 20' over normal pool, covering picnic areas, and camp grounds. When water goes down, tables are exactly where they were before. No problem with squirrels gnawing, carving of initials, or setting on fire etc, plus theft isn't a problem. Who is going to seal a 300# picnic table?

Bill Dufour
04-10-2023, 1:00 AM
I wonder about hollow core concrete beams for table tops. Do they sell offcuts? State parks use a slice of redwood about 6-8" thick for top and benches.
Bill D

roger wiegand
04-10-2023, 8:44 AM
Something like Trex would be great, but, at least the Trex I worked with a decade ago, sags terribly in the spans found in a picnic table. It was marginal with 16" joists, especially on a hot day. If there were a decking product spec'd for 24" joist spacing that would probably do the trick.

Steel and concrete are getting to be above my pay grade :).

Mark Gibney
04-10-2023, 9:34 AM
I copied this from google -

Bamboo for your deck
Its strength and ability to withstand punishment make it perfect for outdoor projects, and with its natural wood finish it can blend in with almost any exterior feature of your residential or commercial building.

Jim Becker
04-10-2023, 9:35 AM
A product used by commercial entities to build things like this is called PolyWood. 'Not sure if and where it's available for sale as material alone. It's made from recycled materials.

Tom M King
04-10-2023, 9:57 AM
They're expensive, as is just the "wood". Probably 3 grand for a big table.

Rick Potter
04-10-2023, 12:36 PM
Hard to compete with the $150 fold up picnic tables at Costco and Sams Club. We have a couple we use for gatherings, then fold them up and store them leaning on the back of the garage where it is not sunny. 3 years, so far no problems.

Bill Dufour
04-10-2023, 10:43 PM
I have seen one at a park that was ADA at one end. It hung out maybe 24" so a wheel chair could come in at that end. The top had sagged down several inches. I really think you need a metal frame to support the plastic wood.
check prices for a used granite surface plate, surprisingly cheap before shipping
BilL. D

Stan Calow
04-11-2023, 4:17 PM
I have often seen trex-type decking material at the nearby Habitat for Humanity ReStore. That would count as double - recycle and reuse. Worth checking.

Jonathan Jung
04-12-2023, 9:58 PM
If they aren't in a hurry, watch auctions, you could probably get commercial tables for $50ea or less.

roger wiegand
04-14-2023, 8:28 AM
So, they really like the canvas notion. The idea is to have the Sunday school kids do artwork on the tops. Where can I find a more detailed protocol for doing this? eg what kind of glue, what kind of canvas (cotton vs synthetic, prepped iike artist's canvas?-- I've seen some that is very stiff, others that aren't), which kind of varnish for the topcoat? Google has been only moderately helpful.

Roger, I’m gonna suggest this …again! It works. Use good one side plywood. Use Tite bond 2 to glue on light canvas , or heavier
canvas . Glue to top surface and edges and and at least one inch of under top perimeter. After glue has dried ,paint top and bottom.
Some put varnish over the paint.