PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight closed for Easter

Bill Dufour
04-09-2023, 10:53 AM
I am surprised to see that Harbour Freight closed all their stores for easter. I know of no other chain store doing the same. Christmas and new years yes. It may have something to do with Easter, Passover and Ramadan all being at the same time this year.
I am not terribly religious so it really surprised me.
I do not like stores having big sales on thanksgiving afternoon ruining turkey time for workers.
Bill D

Alex Zeller
04-09-2023, 11:36 AM
At least one of the grocery stores around here are closed as well.

Paul F Franklin
04-09-2023, 12:48 PM
Lowes and Target are closed as are most of the big grocery chains around here.

Bruce Wrenn
04-09-2023, 3:40 PM
At least one of the grocery stores around here are closed as well.Aldi's is closed today for Easter.

Tim Elett
04-09-2023, 7:19 PM
We survived not going to any stores or restaurants today.

Stan Calow
04-09-2023, 7:29 PM
So many places around here closing more often and open shorter hours, for shortage of workers. Might as well close Easter Sunday over any other day.

Paul F Franklin
04-09-2023, 8:52 PM
But for some reason a Wendy's I drove by was open...and there were cars in the drive through lane...

Curt Harms
04-10-2023, 10:22 AM
At least one of the grocery stores around here are closed as well.

Most of the grocery stores closed around mid afternoon around here. Don't know about other businesses.

Brian Elfert
04-10-2023, 1:17 PM
Grocery stores used to all close for Easter, but the biggest chain of stores was open until 2 pm yesterday.

Perry Hilbert Jr
04-10-2023, 7:15 PM
The holiday closures have come round a circle in this area. When I was in high school, late 1960's, I worked at a F.W. Woolworth, 5 and 10. Stores and nearly everything else, were closed Sundays due to blue laws. Almost all stores were open Thanksgiving from about 9 am until 3pm. Also open New Year's day from 9 am to 5 pm. About 1969, stores began fighting the law and were starting to open Sunday afternoons. So they started closing on Thanksgiving and New Years and 4th. . When I lived in the DC area in the 1980's, stores were open Sundays from 9 am till 5 pm, but only a few grocery stores were open on Thanksgiving and everyone closed Christmas, Easter and New Years day. There was some sort of drug store association and some drug stores would be open 24-7 regardless of Holidays, It wasn't always the same store open on holidays like that, they rotated and even put notices in the paper. Usually stores in the vicinities of hospitals. Just a few years ago, I was talking to the manager of a Dollar General and she was miffed that the store would be open normal hours on Easter. First time in her 20 years as manager. An acquaintance works at Walmart and she complained bitterly about the store being closed last Thanksgiving. She said she counts on the overtime that day and closing the store took away that opportunity. She said many employees were upset by the closing.

One of my favorite stores of all time recently closed. It was run by the same extended family for almost 100 years. It was a little country general store out in the middle of some really sparsely populated mountains. They were open every day from 8 to 8 7 days a week for their last 70 years. It was the place you went for a magazine and soda, coffee in the morning, In nice weather, it was a very popular stop for ice cream or popsicles. It carried a little hardware, some fishing gear, bait, etc. Sometimes on a Sunday around noon there was a line out the door as folks stopped on the way home from Church for a Sunday paper, a loaf of bread, milk, TP etc. The entire store was only about 20 x 40 feet, and next to the parking lot were picnic tables that were often full. So was the parking lot sometimes. It was where neighbors sat and caught up on news, gossip, etc. That store supported several families over the years. It was sold and torn down to build a giant corner convenience store/gas station. There is a similar store nearby where I live now. Not as popular, but the same general concept. I go out of my way to spend some money there, just to keep them in business. They were closed Easter

Paul Saffold
04-11-2023, 8:04 AM
Lowe's and Lowes Foods (no relation) closed here for Easter. I'm not aware of other closings.