PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form Finish? PIC

Steve Mathews
04-08-2023, 1:06 PM
The pic below shows my in progress, 4th hollow form attempt. The very dry wood has significant cracks in it that were filled with CA glue. I don't like giving up on wood that has flaws. The wood is very light and the cracks really show. Any suggestions on a finish for it that might disguise the cracks?

Robert Hayward
04-08-2023, 6:50 PM
Not much will hide cracks like you have. I like to highlight the cracks, that is make them visible. A thin coat of light colored shellac on the wood so surface does not soak up epoxy. Then use a colored epoxy to fill the cracks and flaws. Finish turning, then sand smooth.

John Keeton
04-08-2023, 8:50 PM
I would paint it black and apply leaf sizing with a sea sponge so that it has a lot of voids. Then apply variegated gold leaf.

Steve Mathews
04-08-2023, 11:50 PM
I would paint it black and apply leaf sizing with a sea sponge so that it has a lot of voids. Then apply variegated gold leaf.

That's really interesting John! Do you know of a photo that shows the end result?

John Keeton
04-09-2023, 5:12 AM
Steve, it is a technique I have used mainly on lidded bowls, but it has also been used on vase forms. The pic attached is a group of bowls that were done by the students in the class at John C Campbell taught by Robert Henrickson and me. The one on the right shows the application. It is quick and nearly foolproof though there are a couple of tips that help produce a good result. If you will email me I can provide you with more info and pics of the sizing and foil used.

Barry W. Larson
04-09-2023, 9:02 PM
Steve, it is a technique I have used mainly on lidded bowls, but it has also been used on vase forms. The pic attached is a group of bowls that were done by the students in the class at John C Campbell taught by Robert Henrickson and me. The one on the right shows the application. It is quick and nearly foolproof though there are a couple of tips that help produce a good result. If you will email me I can provide you with more info and pics of the sizing and foil used.
Question for John. Is the gold leaf the genuine article or the faux gold leaf? Really nice group of lidded boxes by the way.
Cheers.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Steve Mathews
04-09-2023, 9:56 PM

Beautiful work on the lidded bowls. That form is on my woodturning bucket list.

John Keeton
04-10-2023, 5:57 AM
Question for John. Is the gold leaf the genuine article or the faux gold leaf? Really nice group of lidded boxes by the way.
Cheers.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!Barry, the leaf is imitation and in this particular application it is variegated - either blue or red.

Barry W. Larson
04-10-2023, 11:40 AM
Barry, the leaf is imitation and in this particular application it is variegated - either blue or red.

Thanks John. I like the effect. I'm adding this to my list of things to try.
Be safe and stay well.
Barry

Steve Mathews
04-13-2023, 7:37 PM
Here's a photo of the vase off the lathe.

Thomas Wilson80
04-13-2023, 8:48 PM
Nice form. Interested to see how you finish it.
tom