PDA

View Full Version : Need help figuring out how to use my Hammer A3-31

Michael Rutman
04-07-2023, 12:18 PM
A bit more than a year ago I bought the Hammer A3-31 expecting my workshop to be done around the time it arrived. Permit problems and slow contractors later, it's been over a year and I finally have it plugged in and hooked up to the dust collector.

The joiner is working great. I go to switch to the Planer portion and things don't seem to be working right. The instructions are pretty sparse, leading me to believe I'm just missing something.

By the handle that raises and lowers the planer table are two handles. The left one is the gear lever. Near as I can tell, it should pull out for planing and push in for jointing. It does not move in any direction. Is there a catch or release or a trick to making it move?

The right handle looks like it should lock the table into place, it doesn't seem to do anything. I have tried turning it to various positions, spinning it clockwise and counter clockwise, the table never shows any resistance when I try to turn the handle.

Before I open it up and try to see if there is anything obvious, anyone have any suggestions for me? I've tried Googling for it and the dearth of responses make me feel like I'm either missing something obvious or it's jammed.

Thanks in advance.

Jacques Gagnon
04-07-2023, 1:05 PM
A bit more than a year ago I bought the Hammer A3-31 expecting my workshop to be done around the time it arrived. Permit problems and slow contractors later, it's been over a year and I finally have it plugged in and hooked up to the dust collector.

The joiner is working great. I go to switch to the Planer portion and things don't seem to be working right. The instructions are pretty sparse, leading me to believe I'm just missing something.

By the handle that raises and lowers the planer table are two handles. The left one is the gear lever. Near as I can tell, it should pull out for planing and push in for jointing. It does not move in any direction. Is there a catch or release or a trick to making it move?

The right handle looks like it should lock the table into place, it doesn't seem to do anything. I have tried turning it to various positions, spinning it clockwise and counter clockwise, the table never shows any resistance when I try to turn the handle.

Before I open it up and try to see if there is anything obvious, anyone have any suggestions for me? I've tried Googling for it and the dearth of responses make me feel like I'm either missing something obvious or it's jammed.

Thanks in advance.

Michael,

I am glad to read that you have managed to sort out the challenges and that your shop is finally functional. Here are a few things I learned about my A3-31 machine.

The handle on the left is used to engage / disengage the rollers. On my machine the lever is moved « in » for planing. If you see the notch on the lever, it is in the « out » position (i.e. jointer mode). I rarely lock the paner plate with the lever on the right.

Your message indicates that the left lever is not moving; this is not normal.

Jacques

Michael Rutman
04-07-2023, 2:57 PM
Thanks, knowing that it's not normal, I had a friend come over, we leaned the machine so we could get under it. The bolt holding the lever was way too tight, lightly loosening it and a few light bangs, it now moves smoothly. Tested the machine, jointing and planing for the win.

Compared to the Ridgid it replaced, well, as you can imagine, I'm very very very happy.

Jacques Gagnon
04-07-2023, 3:18 PM
Great news!

I am sure you will enjoy your new toy. I am also very very happy using it. :D

Regards,

Jacques

George Yetka
04-07-2023, 3:52 PM
Great machine, Im still loving mine. Keep the planer table lubricated. if its dry it doesnt love moving wood through. They say release the roller on the planer wheels when not in you to prevent a flat spot.

Im just a hobyist but i have 1000's of board feet through this thing and Im only on my second side of the cutters.

Jamie Buxton
04-07-2023, 3:55 PM
Yank harder. The left lever engages or disengages the feed rollers for the planer. In to plane, out to joint. It has a very strong spring on it.

Jim OConnor
04-07-2023, 3:57 PM
Make sure you disengage the planer rollers when you’re done using it. This will help prolong the life of the roller drive

Greg Quenneville
04-08-2023, 5:08 AM
I will add to the advice to disengage the feed drive when not actually thicknessing (or planing, if you insist). My Felder also has the height lock lever on the right which seems to do nothing much. It is more of a friction lever.

If you don’t have the analogue handwheel insert it is a worthwhile accessory.

Jacques Gagnon
04-08-2023, 8:34 AM
Good point made by Greg - the analog hand wheel is a great addition. I strongly suggest that you go with the metric version - one full revolution displaces the platen by 2.0mm. Markings at 0.1mm intervals and extrapolations at half of this (0.05mm or .002inch).