PDA

View Full Version : Sash Repairs

Carroll Courtney
04-07-2023, 11:26 AM
Well this is my first time to use epoxy and trying to repair sashes for my small retirement home. I had purchase some old wood frame windows out of a 1948 house that I want to use the sashes in my house 1000sq ft. I thought I would post few times here in this thread just in case there is someone else who is crazy enough to give it a try such as myself. But I and SMC has a wild card that that is Tom, who has given a lot of advice along my travels. So it has started this morning, which I started with what I believe is one of the worse sashes for a beginner to start with. The sash does rack some due to the joints being very dry and maybe wet also. So what I started with is just trying to brush on penetrating epoxy into joints on one side, and put on coat over the bare wood itself where the spring closer channel. The joint in pic must have been starving cause I am on my 5th coat over that joint. It keeps absorbing so I keep applying, which end results I hope will glue the joint back together. Maybe this afternoon I will flip the sash over and do the other joints till I get all four sides done. Tom and SMC thanks for advice and hanging in with me. Any suggestions welcome and constructive criticism

Mel Fulks
04-07-2023, 1:31 PM
I would check phone book for a place that buy and sells reclaimed house stuff . Some have lots of old sash .

Carroll Courtney
04-07-2023, 1:48 PM
Mel that is good idea, I am searching for better sashes but seems that craft people are after same thing. But I have say that I am enjoying this project so far. It’s lot of hand work, put if I make to finish line I’ll be one happy camper

Tom M King
04-07-2023, 6:09 PM
You're at the point, or maybe past, that you need some thickened regular epoxy to fill gaps. Penetrating epoxy is the opposite of what you need to fill gaps.

I make an exact replacement before I put a lot of time in any one sash. Sometimes I've taken several apart to get enough parts to make one good one. Sometimes they need replacement parts.

Here is a 1798 sash with a couple of replacement glazing bars. As you have found out, this is not inexpensive work. There is no glue or epoxy in this sash. Pegs hold it together.

Carroll Courtney
04-08-2023, 7:34 AM
Thanks Tom and Mel, I watch few Youtubes on West System Epoxy and the different fillers. I’m thinking that maybe the filler I need is ketchup consistency. The wood has checks in the end grain which using putty knife I could push it deep into checks. The two sashes that I doing is my learn as I go just to see if I can and what all it will take to do others but the other are in better shape. Tom as you pointed out I was wondering at what point does a person say that this window that has no historical valve worth saving?
These windows are just plain windows out 1948 house, so not much history here. I have been on hunt for better sashes but it’s hit or miss.
Tom, that LV scraper is awesome

Tom M King
04-08-2023, 8:42 AM
Glad you're having fun.

Mel Fulks
04-08-2023, 3:23 PM
Mel that is good idea, I am searching for better sashes but seems that craft people are after same thing. But I have say that I am enjoying this project so far. It’s lot of hand work, put if I make to finish line I’ll be one happy camper

Carroll , I’m glad I could help ! I have also put a bunch of commercials on TV asking people to get rid of their old window sash and send
them to you , then buy new plastic sash !

Carroll Courtney
04-09-2023, 7:11 AM
😂 Now that’s funny.