PDA

View Full Version : Cedar good for turning?

Tim Elett
04-06-2023, 7:27 PM
I have a chance to get a log of cedar, about 12 in in diameter and ten feet long. Is it worth the trouble to turn? Or pass.

Robert Hayward
04-06-2023, 7:50 PM
Very worthwhile to turn in my opinion. Attached are pictures of two I did a few years ago from a tree in my front yard.

Robert Henrickson
04-06-2023, 8:42 PM
It can be pretty but I can't be in the same room with it. I react to it more than walnut. I avoid both.

Tim Elett
04-06-2023, 9:21 PM
Thanks ,beautiful bowls!!

Richard Coers
04-06-2023, 9:24 PM
Knowing what kind of cedar we are talking about sure would help. Eastern red cedar loves to crack, western red cedar tears out easily.

Robert Hayward
04-06-2023, 9:29 PM
Both of the bowls I posted pictures of are eastern red cedar. I have cut and dried a good amount of it and do not have trouble with cracking. All of the ERC I have used has been Florida grown if that makes a difference.

Bernie Kopfer
04-07-2023, 10:29 AM
I’ve turned a bit of Western Red Cedar and have been happy with the results. However tear out is a major problem and necessitates a great deal of sanding. Plus in my situations cracking while drying even when sealed has been a problem. Suggest you talk to local turners about their experiences with cedar.

Richard Coers
04-07-2023, 11:21 AM
Both of the bowls I posted pictures of are eastern red cedar. I have cut and dried a good amount of it and do not have trouble with cracking. All of the ERC I have used has been Florida grown if that makes a difference.
My comment was directed to the OP.

John C Bush
04-08-2023, 8:04 PM
I turned some Deodar cedar and it turned much better than WRC. Aborist said the deodar is a true cedar and the WRC is from the cypress family. The Deodar was didn't tear out like WRC
and dried with no cracking and minimal distortion. Your shop will have a nice aroma as well.

Karl Loeblein
04-09-2023, 8:13 PM
Eastern Red Cedar dust is not good to breathe. Make sure to wear good PPE and a decent dust collector to protect your lungs.

Richard Coers
04-10-2023, 1:28 PM
Eastern Red Cedar dust is not good to breathe. Make sure to wear good PPE and a decent dust collector to protect your lungs.
No sawdust is good to breathe!