PDA

View Full Version : Shortening a workbench

Matt Barmash
04-06-2023, 7:12 PM
Hey folks, been reading for a while and recently poured over threads as I was trying to decide in a jointer/planer combo. Thought I would make my first post something simple.

I just finished building a workbench and out side castors on I really dislike. I want to switch to leveling castors but of course my table will be higher than I want.

Anyone have tips on how to accurately wipe 2 inches off the bottom of 6 legs? I keep thinking about making a jig but I am way over complicating it.

Thanks all

John Ziebron
04-06-2023, 7:32 PM
Welcome aboard Matt. If you are saying that your work bench is at a correct height for without casters than you might consider installing the flip up type casters that many places like Rockler and Woodcraft sell. Here's a link to some that Amazon sells: https://www.amazon.com/SOLEJAZZ-Workbench-Retractable-Construction-Urethane/dp/B07V6X2LNB/ref=asc_df_B07V6X2LNB?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80745502739822&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345029535216&th=1

Matt Barmash
04-06-2023, 8:35 PM
I tried to Rockler, which is what I have now, but don’t love them. I have a heavy table but just generally did not love the way it ended up.

Jamie Buxton
04-06-2023, 8:39 PM
Hey folks, been reading for a while and recently poured over threads as I was trying to decide in a jointer/planer combo. Thought I would make my first post something simple.

I just finished building a workbench and out side castors on I really dislike. I want to switch to leveling castors but of course my table will be higher than I want.

Anyone have tips on how to accurately wipe 2 inches off the bottom of 6 legs? I keep thinking about making a jig but I am way over complicating it.

Thanks all

Mark up 2" from the bottoms of all the legs, and cross cut them. Your choice of saw might depend upon the size of the legs. Are they small enough that a circular saw will cut them in one pass? If so, there's your choice. If not, a sawsall with a longish blade will do it. Me, I'd probably get out my muscle-powered pull saw.

Because you're using leveling feet, you don't have to be too fine in cutting the legs. If they're not all the same length, the adjustment of the levelers will fix it. (The levelers will also fix something you don't have much control over. If your shop is in a garage, the floor is pretty much guaranteed to be not flat. It was "flattened" by eye by a concrete guy who was making a garage floor, and he knew that nobody cares whether the floor is flat.)