PDA

View Full Version : Cut Aluminum With A Bandsaw?

Derek Arita
04-06-2023, 3:38 PM
Can I cut cast aluminum with a non-carbide blade?

Bruce Page
04-06-2023, 4:20 PM
Yes, I’ve done it many times including 1 1/4 plate on a Delta 14”. Just don’t feed too quickly.

Lee Schierer
04-06-2023, 5:08 PM
I would say maybe depending upon the thickness of the casting. It will make a considerable mess of metal flakes through out your saw.

Derek Arita
04-06-2023, 5:14 PM
I would say maybe depending upon the thickness of the casting. It will make a considerable mess of metal flakes through out your saw.

I think it's about 1/8" in the thick parts. I'll clean up the saw after. Too bad...it's a brand new saw.

Lee Schierer
04-06-2023, 5:16 PM
I think it's about 1/8" in the thick parts. I'll clean up the saw after. Too bad...it's a brand new saw.

A hack saw might be quicker overall.

Melvin Feng
04-06-2023, 7:27 PM
a jigsaw with a bimetal blade would be good enough for a rough cut.

Tom M King
04-06-2023, 7:51 PM
I bought a cheap Ryobi 12” miter saw off CL and have a 12” aluminum cutting blade on it. It does a pretty job, but makes such a mess that I carry it outside to use

Derek Cohen
04-06-2023, 9:51 PM
I built tracksaw hinges for an MFT. The Aluminium is 6mm thick, and was cut with a bandsaw and grooves were routed with a carbide bit. Aluminium works like wood, but cleaning up afterwards is a pain as the shavings go everywhere.

https://i.postimg.cc/xYvHbshh/14.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

The 20mm thick aluminium extrusion fence was also sawn on the bandsaw.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alex Zeller
04-06-2023, 10:37 PM
If small enough to fit I use a sliding chop saw with a carbide tooth blade. It makes a very clean cut. But you'll need to wear eye glasses and hearing protection. Just don't cut too fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU-ImRG14xc&ab_channel=thefiXfiles

Bruce Page
04-06-2023, 11:17 PM
Yes, I’ve done it many times including 1 1/4 plate on a Delta 14”. Just don’t feed too quickly.

I found some old pics of the aluminum table I made for my old Delta bandsaw 20+ years ago. Looking at the pics, the plate looks to be 1.5” thick, (CRS). I didn’t have any issues cutting the plate but as mentioned, it made a hell of a mess. I spent a good bit of time cleaning the tires with a brass brush.

Mel Fulks
04-06-2023, 11:20 PM
They failed to say that spraying on denatured alcohol makes for faster ,neater work.

Derek Arita
04-07-2023, 9:15 AM
I found some old pics of the aluminum table I made for my old Delta bandsaw 20+ years ago. Looking at the pics, the plate looks to be 1.5” thick, (CRS). I didn’t have any issues cutting the plate but as mentioned, it made a hell of a mess. I spent a good bit of time cleaning the tires with a brass brush.

Ya, that's my only reservation about using the bandsaw...I have concerns about particles becoming embedded in the tires. I do have a handheld metal bandsaw, however the cut has to be very accurate and it will be difficult to do with the handheld saw.

Carl Beckett
04-07-2023, 9:25 AM
Metal shops cut with the bandsaw regularly. Consider what blade to use as the single biggest factor. Then feed/speeds are normally slower than wood. But the answer is yes, absolutely. (as mentioned, aluminum cuts on the miter, circ, or tablesaw even, given some consideration for blade type)

John TenEyck
04-07-2023, 10:03 AM
Gotta friend with a CNC?

John

Derek Arita
04-07-2023, 10:30 AM
I've got a drill/mill, but have only used it as a drill. Using it as a mill would require the purchase of more accessories that would send me down a whole new road.

Jack Frederick
04-07-2023, 11:03 AM
As you have a Portaband look at Swagoffroad. They have a plate to mount your Portaband and turn it into a vertical bandsaw. Limited capacity but with that plate mounted on my saw I use the PB all the time where without it I wouldn’t touch the saw for years.

Bill Dufour
04-07-2023, 12:51 PM
FYI: To cut iron a band saw needs to be slowed down by about 10:1 ratio. That is too much reduction for a vfd to be useful since a VFD also reduces the horsepower.
Thin aluminum will cut good at slower wood cutting speeds.
Bill D

Derek Arita
04-07-2023, 2:35 PM
As you have a Portaband look at Swagoffroad. They have a plate to mount your Portaband and turn it into a vertical bandsaw. Limited capacity but with that plate mounted on my saw I use the PB all the time where without it I wouldn’t touch the saw for years.

Jack, thanks for reminding me. I can't tell you how many times I wished I had it set up with the Swag table, ready to use and then, I forget about it. Thanks to you, I just went online and ordered one for my Bauer. Now I'm gonna mount it and set it somewhere handy. I use the mini one from Milwaukee, but every time I do, I feel like I'm fumbling around. The table is a huge plus for its bigger brother.

Bruce Page
04-08-2023, 6:00 PM
Ya, that's my only reservation about using the bandsaw...I have concerns about particles becoming embedded in the tires. I do have a handheld metal bandsaw, however the cut has to be very accurate and it will be difficult to do with the handheld saw.

The brass brush cleaned the tires nicely, it wasn't hard to do, it just took a little time.

Derek Cohen
04-08-2023, 9:08 PM
The brass brush cleaned the tires nicely, it wasn't hard to do, it just took a little time.

I used a scraper. This left a clean surface.

Interestingly, only the lower tyre (tire) was affected. The upper tyre appeared free of swarf.

Regards from Perth

Derek

andy bessette
04-09-2023, 2:34 AM
Can I cut cast aluminum with a non-carbide blade?

Sure. Use a bi-metal blade designed for metal cutting. A normal wood-cutting blade will quickly overheat and dull. Carbide works very well.