PDA

View Full Version : Edge Banding

Patty Hann
04-05-2023, 6:15 PM
The plan: to put [iron-on] 3/4" edge-banding on some shop furniture.
What brand of edge banding is good (wears well, stays on, etc)?
Is it pretty much all the same or do some of you have a brand preference?

Lee Schierer
04-05-2023, 7:05 PM
I've used "Band It" iron on edge banding from the Blue and Orange borgs. It has held up well. The trick is to use plenty of heat and pressure to apply it. Check for loose spots before you start to trim the over hang. I think I alos ordered some from either Rockler or Woodworker Supply.

Kevin Jenness
04-05-2023, 8:13 PM
It's pretty much the same. If you want a durable edge on a wear surface use solid banding.

Michael Burnside
04-06-2023, 10:53 AM
You can buy thin veneer from https://www.veneersupplies.com/ and get pre-glued or no glue in many species of wood to match. I prefer real wood and no glue but for shop cabinets pre-glued are fine, but I wouldn't use any "peel and stick" products since they won't be durable enough IMHO. Generally I just build my own real wood strips but for shop cabinets, for sure I'd use something premade.

roger wiegand
04-07-2023, 8:22 AM
Another fan of using 1/8 to 1/4" solid wood for banding. Haven't had great success with the iron-on varieties staying stuck, either when I do it or on commercial furniture. Applying 1/8" thick strips using hot hide glue so clamping isn't essential is almost as fast as the iron on stuff, not counting making the strips.

Bradley Gray
07-06-2023, 9:37 PM
+1 on solid wood banding. I use titebond and a strip of masking tape every foot or so. No clamps required.

glenn bradley
07-06-2023, 11:58 PM
Another solid wood edge trim guy here. I think it is more durable and you can even profile it if you want. Tape will work or you can jam a used up gift card into a spring clamp.

503948 . 503949

Warren Lake
07-07-2023, 12:07 AM
1/4" solid and 3M green auto tape, it stretches like a clamp. Great tape. Used it tonight to pull five monitor screens tight together

Paul F Franklin
07-07-2023, 11:59 AM
I've used lots of the iron on of various brands; all seem more or less the same. Never had a problem with it staying stuck, but after I iron it on, I follow with a wood block and light mallet taps. The wood block and taps help cool the glue while ensuring it is well bonded. I wait until it is fully cooled before trimming. A sanding block with 120 grit or so help dress the otherwise sharp edges.