PDA

View Full Version : This don't cut it!

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 4:39 PM
You talk about feeling stupid. :mad: :mad: :(

I just spent over an hour taking a brand new Sorby 1" skew and grinding a radial edge on it after rounding and champhering the edges as per Mr. Lacer's DVD taught me so well. After a long sharpening session with the Wolverine Skew jig and getting rid of all gleen I was feeling pretty cocky about my talent..... that is until it dawned on me the Wolverine completely removed the radial edge which was the purpose of this afternoon to begin with. I must have fell into a nap during the part where he sharpened his "freehand".

Man.... I hate life as a newbie!

Keith Burns
01-29-2006, 4:44 PM
Bummer ! I'v done worse. I've got a 5/8" bowl gouge thats half as long as it was new and I'm still not happy with it. Oh well:)

One thing about grinding I do know. Don't use the side of the wheel as it could explode like a BOMB:D

Michael Stafford
01-29-2006, 4:57 PM
Not a problem, Bob, they will sell you another one. They always have another one so don't despair.....:p ;)

Andy Hoyt
01-29-2006, 5:25 PM
You think that's bad? Try doing what I did the other day.

Which was an attempt to put a radial edge on an oval skew, and end up with something consistent.

Aint gonna happen.

Corey Hallagan
01-29-2006, 5:31 PM
That stinks Bob, sorry to hear, but it's only money. I got my wolverine all set up this weekend and sharpened my first tool. It was the carbon steel 1/2 steel. It turned out wonderfully sharp and I nailed the bevel the first time. Now on to gouges! I will stick to the PSI HSS chisels until I really know what the heck I am doing :)

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2006, 6:32 PM
Hey Bob they have plenty of those in stock.:eek: :eek: :D :D

That is a bummer when that happens. I almost made my fingernail bowl gouge into a regular bowl gouge. Wasn't paying attention to directions. Fortunately I saved it. You can save it.

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 6:43 PM
Nope Bernie, can't salvage the radial as it is all ground back to normal by the Wolverine. I'll just use it as a normal straight edged skew chisel as I have no intention of attempting free hand sharpening at this point.

One thing for sure.... I have the sharpest skew around at the moment.... not that it matters as the world may be soon coming to an end when the bomb goes off. :D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2006, 6:45 PM
Ppffssffltlt!

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 6:58 PM
Ken,

Please keep your distance if you don't mind. I have a feeling that you are a moving target and I don't want to be near when it happens. These blasts can sometimes make a real mess ya know :D

Andy Hoyt
01-29-2006, 7:26 PM
Bob - suggest you delete that post up above so as to create some distance between yourself and that Fitzgerald guy.

Oops! That wouldn't be such a good thing for me then, would it?:D

Jim Dunn
01-29-2006, 7:54 PM
Bob I'm about to launch the USBN Turners Submersible. Course if it's designed like most of the hollow forms I've seen posted here recently, it'll sink:eek::eek::p

Bob in keeping with decorum I can't possibly add anything to your post regarding your grinding style.

Jim

Larry Lilly
01-29-2006, 8:02 PM
Iam like you, a newbie, but from past pursuits in other trades, I have learned, dont assume that one persons expereinces will benefit you. The maker of the tool doesnt live in a vacuum, they did some testing, and maybe it works the way it was designed. Maybe someone thinks THEY have a better idea, but maybe its just them. Until you have exhausted the way it was made, dont quickly buy a left handed thing-a-ma-jig, and make it into a right handed thing-a-ma-jig.

So in spite of the tool now being ground a little shorter, you can restore it, or you can make a parting tool out of with more, lots more grinding.

Yeah, we have all done it, and realizing that we are the ones to blame, well, that is the pill of learning and experience.