PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to the Sponatneous Combustion Video

Andrew More
04-05-2023, 9:49 AM
AvE did a bit of sleuthing and came up with some interesting observations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PybuHB9gc_U

Kevin Jenness
04-05-2023, 10:04 AM

Is spontaneous combustion fake news? Is the earth round? Thank goodness for Youtube. In the open light of rational discourse the truth will out.

Paul F Franklin
04-05-2023, 11:22 AM

Pretty sure AvE believes the world is flat, too...

Kim Gibbens
04-05-2023, 11:43 AM
Interesting that comments have been turned off of the original video.

Dave Zellers
04-05-2023, 1:33 PM
Never seen that guy before but I clicked away at the mid point when he accused him of using lighter fluid to start the first fire.

Kim Gibbens
04-14-2023, 10:36 PM
AvE posted another video about Bourbon Moths video. Not one word about a flat earth. Where did that come from? Some people. AvE only has over 1.44 million subscribers. He makes very valid points if you understand enough about the chemistry involved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEtU3bYyCtA&t=16s

Myk Rian
04-17-2023, 3:55 PM
The moon is flat. Not the earth.

Warren Lake
04-17-2023, 4:15 PM
its also made of cheese.

Patty Hann
04-17-2023, 7:29 PM
its also made of cheese.

https://youtu.be/Ug8aM9v40Sg

glenn bradley
04-17-2023, 8:33 PM
Goodness I hope these people are just trying to be funny and failing. We have had fires from curing oils on this forum if memory serves. Are we really trying to say that this doesn't happen? I wish people had constructive personal interests that occupied their time. It would keep them out of mischief.

Dave Zellers
04-17-2023, 9:58 PM
Are we really trying to say that this doesn't happen?

Everyone HERE is saying it happens. The people who know. The skeptic is this AvE character. He comes across as a complete hack to me. At least re this topic. I won't be wasting any more time on him.

Kim Gibbens
04-17-2023, 11:13 PM
If you have watched Ave's videos that have been linked, please explain where he is incorrect. I am always ready to learn from the EXPERTS here, you know, the people who know. What parts do you think he is making up? I also didn't know that having an opinion that differs from yours automatically puts me into mischief or shows a lack of " constructive personal interests ". Go ahead and make a judgement, he didn't say that spontaneous combustion can't or doesn't happen, he is pointing out the video is altered to achieve the results to help his sponsor sell metal rag cans. Attack me all you want, won't change the facts.

Andrew More
04-17-2023, 11:49 PM
We have had fires from curing oils on this forum if memory serves. Are we really trying to say that this doesn't happen?
No, watch the video. AvE is pretty clear it happens, exists, and is real thing. He also thinks Bourbon Moth likely staged his video. The two are not mutually exclusive. Generating spontaneous combustion isn't as simple as it seems, and there is no smoke in B.Moth's videos. Smoke always proceeds the fire because of the nature of the reaction, the cloth starts to smolder first as it heats up. Getting no smoke would require a much more rapid increase in heat, such as you get with lighter fluid. Further AvE is skeptical of the results of B. Moth's video is because he tried it himself, and found that it was possible to get some heat but actual fire was challenging.

Which is different from saying spontaneous combustion doesn't happen, just like saying that Bourbon Moth like didn't climb Mt. Everest doesn't invalidate the existence of Mt. Everest.

Chris Schoenthal
04-18-2023, 4:00 AM
YouTube pays makers for views and rewards comments of any kind. We've probably made this AvE guy a few bucks sharing his video like this. Since revenue is the primary goal for video makers, any controversy will rack up both.
I haven't watched any, but looking through his video list, it appears that most of them are pointing out how someone else is wrong and sensationalizing it. Don't know what Bourbon Moth did to tick him off, but there are 3 videos just on that one that Jason did.

Rich Engelhardt
04-18-2023, 10:05 AM
YouTube pays makers for views and rewards comments of any kind. We've probably made this AvE guy a few bucks sharing his video like this. Since revenue is the primary goal for video makers, any controversy will rack up both.
I haven't watched any, but looking through his video list, it appears that most of them are pointing out how someone else is wrong and sensationalizing it. Don't know what Bourbon Moth did to tick him off, but there are 3 videos just on that one that Jason did.A while back, a discussion here centered around the jump in the number of Saw Stop saws that are on Youtube. I ran across this website that went a long way towards explaining to my satisfaction what was taking place. (https://starstat.yt/)

I knew people made money from their videos, but, I was a bit surprised by how much money was/is involved.

It sort of makes you wonder if a couple of video makers got together and decided to get a little controversy going in order to boost the numbers.
The whole controversy idea is what runs the "news" (media) these days.

Jim Becker
04-18-2023, 10:18 AM
As I noted in the other thread, there are a bunch of YouTube channels that clearly benefit (including financially) from going after successful content creators, sometimes about "how much they earn", but sometimes for other things as in this case. I did not watch nor do I intend to watch the AvE video that takes issue with Jason's testing. No matter what, if just one additional person became aware of the spontaneous combustion risk from rags used with oil based finishing products and even a single additional disaster is averted, that's fine with me.

Andrew More
04-18-2023, 10:34 AM
This isn't one of those channels. He's not really doing any more views than a number of his other videos. I couldn't find another one calling out another channel like this in the first page or so of results. I've watched a number of his videos in the past, and the few he has done are generally targeted at situations exactly like this, people putting out bad or misleading information.

Finally the idea that a flawed message is fine, as long as it's the right message, is itself deeply flawed. Generally what happens is that people figure out they're being lied to, and then they distrust the entire message, good or not.

Kim Gibbens
04-18-2023, 12:09 PM
I agree with you Andrew 100%.

Lee Schierer
04-18-2023, 1:19 PM
Regardless of how you view the Bourbon Moth video or the Ave video, the fact remains that spontaneous combustion is real and oily rags coupled with drying agents can and do produce heat. Most of us that use drying oils use rags/pads with a high cotton content to apply it. The auto ignition temperature of oily cotton (https://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/fasern/baumwoll/baumwoll-htm/) is 120* C (248* F). You can try this yourself with a home thermometer in your driveway any time you wish. Any drying oil product you wish, wad up the rags, place them in a metal container in your driveway and poke a thermometer down into the wad of rags and watch the temperature rise.

Here is some more reading on the subject from Fine Woodworking (https://www.finewoodworking.com/forum/spontaneous-combustion-why-whats-the-reaction-that-starts-it)

Edward Weber
04-18-2023, 2:31 PM
This isn't one of those channels. He's not really doing any more views than a number of his other videos. I couldn't find another one calling out another channel like this in the first page or so of results. I've watched a number of his videos in the past, and the few he has done are generally targeted at situations exactly like this, people putting out bad or misleading information.

Finally the idea that a flawed message is fine, as long as it's the right message, is itself deeply flawed. Generally what happens is that people figure out they're being lied to, and then they distrust the entire message, good or not.

I'm not a regular viewer of either of these guys but I'm well aware of their channels.
To your point about a flawed message, I couldn't agree more.
If I find out that I've been duped or in some way lied to, it doesn't matter what message is being presented, the presenter has lost my trust and viewership.
If the message is a valid one, there is no need to mislead for any reason.
I certainly don't know what went on in this situation but it's only one isolated incident out of millions of videos that are suspect.
As far as alerting more people to the possible hazard, I'm not sure. It may simply stir the pot more, persuading no one.

Andrew More
04-18-2023, 2:53 PM
the fact remains that spontaneous combustion is real and oily rags coupled with drying agents can and do produce heat.

I think we're in violent agreement on this.