PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle Mounting

Tom Bender
04-05-2023, 7:27 AM
We have a jigsaw puzzle with an irregular shape. It has been glued together with puzzle glue. It resembles ordinary white glue but we can't identify the brand. To hang it I have mounted it on a piece of formica using double stick tape. The tape sticks great at first but releases in a few weeks. Tried a new roll, same problem. It releases from the very plasticy surface of the puzzle. Due to the shape, a traditional frame is not possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lee Schierer
04-05-2023, 7:37 AM
You could try 3M 77 spray adhesive. It seems to stick most anything to anything. Bear in mind it is permanent.

There is also 3M 90 which is even stronger.

Grant Wilkinson
04-05-2023, 9:08 AM
As long as you never want to remove it, I suggest PL construction adhesive.

Stan Calow
04-05-2023, 9:30 AM
RE: the glue I think mostly used for puzzles is Mod Podge, common at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores. I believe it's just a thin white PVA. I used that to mount it to a piece of black (or colored) mat board (also Hobby Lobby). For your irregular shape, maybe you could trim the backing to mat, and then glue that (contact cement to the formic or whatever else you use.

Dave Zellers
04-05-2023, 11:12 PM
What about lightly sanding the Formica with say 120 or 150? Then maybe the puzzle glue would adhere. I'd use a RO to completely break down the gloss finish. But why not glue it to something that the glue will stick to like 1/8" or 1/4" ply?

Andrew More
04-06-2023, 5:28 PM
Second the Mod Podge, I don't think it's PVA, but whatever it is it dries super clear. I've used it to attach paper to glass beads for game tokens. Had the tokens for years, maybe 100 or so, never saw any problems.

Rich Engelhardt
04-07-2023, 10:03 AM
I just unpacked a Daisey Pin Router...

Aside from the fact that I would spend endless hours trying to somehow make that work, am I reading it correct that the tape sticks to the Formica but not the back of the puzzle pieces?

Can you try some primer, like B*I*N or Bullseye 123 on the pieces and then see how the two faced tape works?

Lee DeRaud
04-08-2023, 1:36 PM
...am I reading it correct that the tape sticks to the Formica but not the back of the puzzle pieces?
That sounded odd to me too. I use 3M 467/468 PSA for most of my double-stick tape needs, and have yet to find anything it won't stick to hard and long. But admittedly, it ain't cheap.