PDA

View Full Version : Four Years, and Counting

Bruce Wrenn
04-04-2023, 9:56 PM
Several years back there was a thread about car battery life. In April 2019, I installed in my truck, a one year warranted battery from Walmart. Battery was built by Exide, and cost me $49.99, plus tax. For fifty bucks more, I could have gotten a five year battery, also built by Exide. Both the one year, and five year battery weighed the exact same (42.5 pounds) and had the same cranking amps, which tells me they are the same, only with different labels. I would be paying for the warranty difference. It's April 2023 now, which means this one year battery has lasted four years. Still cranks truck with no problem. First time I'm in town with truck, will stop at Autozone and let them run their checker on it. This battery isn't any kind of record. The one on my stand by generator has a build date sticker from 2009 on it. Cranked generator with no problems on monthly test on Monday. Ford Areostar, built in Dec 1993, is in the third year of it's fourth battery. This means previous batteries lasted an average of nine years each. Worst batteries I ever owned were two Sears Die Hard batteries. They both Died Hard and Young!

Lee Schierer
04-05-2023, 7:43 AM
I recently replaced the battery in my 2012 Honda pilot after 11 years. If I lived in a warmer climate, it probably would have gone a bit longer.

Greg Parrish
04-05-2023, 8:27 AM
Living in Florida where its hot much of the year, I've started switching to the sealed AGM batteries. They cost more, but are way less messy over time. Every lead acid battery we've had starts to leak and boil over or vent causing corroded cables and connections, more so when its hot out. Especially in things that charge more than they are used like the golf cart, motorhome, etc. I'll also admit to being the worlds worst at maintaining adequate water level in them. The sealed batteries just make it easier and cleaner and help prevent me from killing them early by not maintaining them.

Jim Becker
04-05-2023, 9:05 AM
I got nearly 7 years out of the OEM battery in the Jeep Grand Cherokee I owned previous to my current Subaru Ascent. The JGC's battery was physically under the passenger seat in the cabin (AGM vented outside) and didn't have to endure the heat conditions under the hood from the engine. I really didn't need to replace it when I did, but felt "it was time"...and then sold the vehicle a few months later when it was time for the new ride. In general, getting 3-4 years is very good. Beyond that is outstanding.

Maurice Mcmurry
04-05-2023, 9:13 AM
I put an AGM in my little 2 cylinder diesel Ford tractor because our property is so hilly that regular battery's leaked. After three years it will still start the tractor after not being run for a month even on a 15 degree morning. I am impressed and am getting over the sticker shock.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2023, 1:10 PM
I have a 2014 Honda Pilot. During the 3rd week and into the 4th week of December, we had a DIL and 3 grandkids meet us in West Yellowstone, MT. We spent a couple "free" days and a couple tour days. My battery was the original battery in my car. As a child I lived in Kemmerer, Wy just south of Jackson. I knew from experience what the weather can be like in that area of the country. My wife and I discussed replacing the battery, but I decided to blow it off. Of course, one night in West Yellowstone while we were there, it got down to -38º F. The next morning at -27º F, the car wouldn't start. After jumping it 3 times, twice with another vehicle and once with a huge boosted commercial battery charger, I had it towed and the battery replaced.

I should have trusted my instincts!

Bruce Page
04-05-2023, 5:57 PM
The OEM battery on my ’79 XS1100 lasted 5 years. After that I couldn’t find one that would last two years, no matter what the cost or the warranty.

Brian Elfert
04-07-2023, 10:52 AM
I use AGM starting batteries in my stuff when I replace the batteries. I have AGM batteries from 2010 in my motorhome and the engine still starts like the batteries are new. I was getting about two years out of flooded batteries. I put an AGM battery in my Grand Caravan back in fall 2021 because I thought five plus years out of a battery was pretty good in Minnesota.