PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Slab Pricing?

Steve Mathews
04-04-2023, 12:55 PM
How is natural edge slab priced? I plan to look at and hopefully purchase some tomorrow. The seller has a price/board ft but how is that calculated, not how to calculate board feet but board feet based on the waste involved with a natural edge?

John Kananis
04-04-2023, 1:09 PM
I really think it depends on the mill. Unfortunately, the natural edge scene has gotten so out of control that the slabs are often times more than the rough sawn lumber you'd get out of it. Really out of control, especially the kiln dried walnut slabs... if you're going to use an entire walnut slab, why would you want purple-gray sap wood? And heart wood. It all looks close to the same - go find some air dried material for something like that... ok, I'm ranting, sorry lol.

Warren Lake
04-04-2023, 2:23 PM
live edge tables are illegal in Canada. We are also not allowed to play Stairway to Heaven in music stores.

Kevin Jenness
04-04-2023, 2:43 PM
live edge tables are illegal in Canada. We are also not allowed to play Stairway to Heaven in music stores.

And what is your country's stance on river tables, sir?

Jim Becker
04-04-2023, 2:50 PM
How is natural edge slab priced? I plan to look at and hopefully purchase some tomorrow. The seller has a price/board ft but how is that calculated, not how to calculate board feet but board feet based on the waste involved with a natural edge?

There generally is going to have to be some "mathematical interpolation" to determine the approximate actual surface area so board feet can be calculated if that's how it's being sold. Many sells of slabs, however, use a more "subjective" method for pricing that might start with the physical size but has a bunch of consideration around quality/interest/species/oversize/unique features, etc. IE, they pull a number out of there, um...well...you know... ;)

James Jayko
04-04-2023, 3:17 PM

I don't always agree with Canada, but when I do, man, I agree whole heartedly.

John TenEyck
04-04-2023, 3:26 PM
It's what the market will pay, not some fixed price/bf like you would pay for dimensional lumber. Slabs with more figure or character, or whatever, will command a higher price, no different than art. Some of you seem to think the pricing is out of line. If so, don't buy it, but don't criticize those who do. Gee, didn't Nakashima make live edge stuff? Plenty of folks seem to think his stuff was pretty nice.

John

Steve Mathews
04-04-2023, 3:57 PM
I have nothing against live edges but taking a bare slab and slapping on some crude legs to make it a table isn't what I call craftsmanship. The purpose of my question was to find out the norm for pricing such slabs. The seller is using a price/board ft. I just wanted to get an idea how the board feet is calculated. Does it include what I would consider waste for my intended use?

Really ... live edges in Canada are illegal?

John Lanciani
04-04-2023, 4:11 PM
"Does it include what I would consider waste for my intended use?"

Just like dimensional lumber, you pay for the whole piece. What you do with it afterwards is up to you. If they are selling by the board foot, typically average width is used (or max width with some sellers) x thickness x length

And I agree with JT, slabs are unique and don't necessarily lend themselves to standard commodity pricing rules.

Michael Burnside
04-04-2023, 4:14 PM
I think it's one of those "what the market will bear" kind of prices, unfortunately. What I would do is look at the price/bd-ft of milled stock of the same thickness/material. So a walnut slab that is close to 8/4 might be 18-20 bucks per bd-ft. Milling costs money but usually the slabs need quite a bit of dry time and that costs electricity/fuel so it's going to be similar /bd-ft at least. Something that is really beautiful or figured might cost you more.

Maurice Mcmurry
04-04-2023, 4:35 PM
Last time I visited Cardwell Lumber in Jefferson City MO they had a big, striking, slab of Boxelder with a $1200.00 price tag. 3' x 7' x 2" that puts it at $28.57 per BDFT. The store generally does not have Boxelder as it is considered undesirable. I can get green boxelder from a local for $1.00 BDFT.
Woodworking Supply Store, Tools, Lumber, Flooring | Cardwell Hardwoods (https://cardwellhardwoods.com/)

Kent A Bathurst
04-04-2023, 4:57 PM
......not allowed to play Stairway to Heaven in music stores.

How about Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen's Lost in the Ozone Again or Seeds and Stems ?

Gotta ask - Whaaaa? Why? I get Stairway - most overplayed tune since New York, New York

Alex Zeller
04-04-2023, 9:07 PM
It's a funny market. There's a guy who has at least 30 slabs for sale locally. I've never stopped because I've seen his prices and they are way too high IMO. I drove by the other day and the slabs are still leaning up against a fence uncovered. I think he gave up trying to sell them and is just letting them rot. A few years ago Craig's list was full of people trying to sell them. Now most of the posts are from out of state.

As for price, it's still all over the place. Some sellers still think they are sitting on gold. Some are very realistic. I've seen 8/4 and 12/4 live edge kiln dried cherry selling for $10/bf. I've also seen air dried walnut for that price.

Zachary Hoyt
04-04-2023, 10:07 PM
When I ran the sawmill at the farm I counted board feet by the width on the small face of live edge lumber.