PDA

View Full Version : Ask the Man Who Owns One

Jim Koepke
04-03-2023, 7:31 PM
That was the old line from Packard Motor Car Company. My mother wan't a man but she loved the '39 Packard her folks gave her when she finished High School. More than once she lamented it leaving the family after my dad bought her a '56 Chevy. The Packard went to my oldest brother who traded it for a pick-up truck.

This would be a nice one for camping:

Don't you just love those old style white walls?

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-1937-packard-motor-home-ask-the-man-who-sleeps-in-one/

jtk

Lee Schierer
04-03-2023, 7:53 PM

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-1937-packard-motor-home-ask-the-man-who-sleeps-in-one/

jtk

Obviously you never had to clean them. :eek:

Maurice Mcmurry
04-03-2023, 8:46 PM
That was the old line from Packard Motor Car Company. My mother wan't a man but she loved the '39 Packard her folks gave her when she finished High School. More than once she lamented it leaving the family after my dad bought her a '56 Chevy. The Packard went to my oldest brother who traded it for a pick-up truck.

This would be a nice one for camping:

jtk

My Step Mother In Law's Dad had very fond memories of his Packards. He had great stories of breakdown and repair. That Packard looks like a classier version of the International Travel-All. As seen in the movie Endless Summer. Thanks for the blast from the past!

Dave Zellers
04-03-2023, 9:57 PM
Apologies in advance, but it kinda looks like a hearse. :eek:

Not that there is anything wrong with that. :p

Spent my childhood (as most of us did) identifying all the new makes and models on the road every Fall.

It IS cool looking. Ahead of it's time?

You could live in that thing!

Rick Potter
04-03-2023, 9:58 PM
I learned to drive on my mom's 'Little Packard'. It was a '51 that my dad bought for $375 in '57. They were about to become orphan cars, and everyone could see it happening. As it turns out, years later I found out that they had advertised the new 1951 Packard 200 as the 'Little Packard", and it was the price leader.

When I was 15 1/2, with a new license, I managed to spin it out going under the freeway, and did a full 360 spin across four lanes into the curb on the other side. When I got it home and looked for damage I could not find any at all, that thing was a tank.

No damage of course meant no report to the parents.

Dave Zellers
04-03-2023, 10:01 PM
No damage of course meant no report to the parents.

Dodged another bullet. :D A brag with your buds.

Jack Frederick
04-03-2023, 10:37 PM
I drove a white over red ‘54 Packard Ambulance in ‘69-70. It was a great rig.

Perry Hilbert Jr
04-04-2023, 2:07 PM
In 1973, I worked for the summer down on the lower Delmarva eastern shore. My boss paid for all the parties every Saturday and would send me to buy the beer, corn and crabs. The owner of the liquor store along Route 1, lived in the house next to the store and had a 4 car garage next to the house. One day, we were BS about old cars. He took me to the garage and opened the door. He had the last 2 packards sold on the eastern shore and 2 of the last studebakers, up on blocks sored under large cloths. Not one of the 4 had more than 7 miles on it. He claimed he had already turned down 50K for the one packard. I was at a red neck bar out on Chincoteague Island and he and his wife showed up in some strange old three wheeled truck from about 1920 It had carbide torches instead of electric headlights.