PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate Question

James Baldwin
04-02-2023, 9:11 PM
I was watching a Youtube video the other day on building an outboard tool steady rest and the guy doing it was getting ready to turn a maple burl for a wall hanging. He attached it to his faceplate using double sided tape. He had mounted a sacrificial piece of wood between his faceplate and the piece he was going to turn. He also put a bead of hot glue all the way around where the two pieces joined. The question I have is do you apply the tape over the whole surface of the sacrificial plate? I remember back when I was taking Junior High shop ( a long, long time ago) we sometimes used a piece heavy paper with glue between the sacrificial faceplate and the piece we were going to turn. Jim

Dave Mount
04-02-2023, 10:35 PM
Doesn't answer your question about tape, but I usually approach the situation by attaching a square of wood with CA glue and accelerator, and then hold the square waste block in a four jaw chuck. Turn the waste block away after reversing. I keep a box of 5/8" thick square waste blocks on the shelf in sizes appropriate to my stable of jaw sizes.

Best,

Dave

David Metzman
04-03-2023, 9:58 AM
In relation to outboard tool rests that are free standing, does anyone make one besides powermatic which runs about $700. In some videos on youtube I see one from Delta but I cannot find it on their sight.

Kevin Jenness
04-03-2023, 10:37 AM
Look out for used ones on Ebay, Craigslist or Facebook.

Sam Angelo made an inexpensive one shown here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQsQTbwXZI

Better are ones attached to the lathe like the ones made by Vicmarc and Robust (around $800). There are some homemade versions to be found on the AAW forum.

I would be wary of using tape to secure a blank large enough to require outboard turning. If I used it I would certainly use all the faceplate area plus the hotmelt around the outside (dry wood only). A glue block screwed to the faceplate would be more reliable imo.

Brice Rogers
04-03-2023, 4:38 PM
I'm with Kevin in questioning using double back tape for something so large that it needs to be outboard turned.

This is a picture of David Barkby turning a huge wall hanging. He is a professional turner. He doesn't use double back tape. ;)
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0680/2717/files/Barkby.jpg?v=1649016950

James Baldwin
04-03-2023, 8:51 PM
I'm planning on building my own outboard steady rest. I have all the metal working equipment and I retired from being a fitter and welder and I have friends who are machinists. I'm planning on attaching it to my lathe. Won't be free standing. Jim