PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting guides Grass 3D brand

Brian Runau
04-01-2023, 11:07 AM
I made a walnut bedroom set and the dresser has inset drawers. Been sitting in position for 4-5 years now. I removed one of the bottom drawers this morning and it did not want to go all the way in. I think I have a combination of out of square between the cabinet frame and the drawer box. I haven't put a square on it yet. Too Pi___d off! Drawer would not go all the way in on it's own, stops about 1/2 inch out. There is wear on the right side of the drawer box at the bottom from the back about 1/2 way towards the front. I was thinking it was from one of the screw heads. I use #8 to set the guides and this is bigger than suggested, #6 head goes through the hole in the guide. I know I should have used metric, but... Left side of the draw box has less wear, but a little, not near as much from the screw head. I took out both middle screws and the drawer still stops with 1/2" showing. If I move it gently tot he left it will close all the way. Wife tells me it was like this before, but too old to remember. Don't think I would have left it like this, much too anal for that.

After I check square. Not sure if it is out of square of smaller in back than front since it is marking both side of the drawer box. I might be able to shim both guides a little to help eliminate some of the out of square. If I have to I can take off the drawer face and take mater off both sides of the drawer box and then shim it on the front end o the guides? Appreciate any input.

Thanks. Brian

Kevin Jenness
04-01-2023, 11:27 AM
I made a walnut bedroom set and the dresser has inset drawers. Been sitting in position for 4-5 years now. I removed one of the bottom drawers this morning and it did not want to go all the way in. I think I have a combination of out of square between the cabinet frame and the drawer box. I haven't put a square on it yet. Too Pi___d off! Drawer would not go all the way in on it's own, stops about 1/2 inch out. There is wear on the right side of the drawer box at the bottom from the back about 1/2 way towards the front. I was thinking it was from one of the screw heads. I use #8 to set the guides and this is bigger than suggested, #6 head goes through the hole in the guide. I know I should have used metric, but... Left side of the draw box has less wear, but a little, not near as much from the screw head. I took out both middle screws and the drawer still stops with 1/2" showing. If I move it gently tot he left it will close all the way. Wife tells me it was like this before, but too old to remember. Don't think I would have left it like this, much too anal for that.

After I check square. Not sure if it is out of square of smaller in back than front since it is marking both side of the drawer box. I might be able to shim both guides a little to help eliminate some of the out of square. If I have to I can take off the drawer face and take mater off both sides of the drawer box and then shim it on the front end o the guides? Appreciate any input.

Thanks. Brian

Post some pictures and a link to the drawer slide model. Check the drawer and opening dimensions using pinch bars or folding ruler with extension. Try#7 screws to increase clearance. If these are undermount slides there should be a larger side clearance than would be affected by the screw head size. Shimming can help remedy an out of square condition, but if the opening is too small you may have to plane down or rabbet the drawer box.

Brian Runau
04-01-2023, 12:34 PM
Kevin:

kevin:

Rabbiting the side a little is a great idea. Not in the mood to take the drawer out to take pics, still P____ off.

I have the front undermout clips and the back clips that adjust for tilt.

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/88lb-dynapro-3-d-full-ext-undermount-slides-75lb-full-ext-undermount-drawer-slides-18-5-sets.html

(https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/88lb-dynapro-3-d-full-ext-undermount-slides-75lb-full-ext-undermount-drawer-slides-18-5-sets.html)Thanks. Brian

Brian Runau
04-02-2023, 9:48 AM
Post some pictures and a link to the drawer slide model. Check the drawer and opening dimensions using pinch bars or folding ruler with extension. Try#7 screws to increase clearance. If these are undermount slides there should be a larger side clearance than would be affected by the screw head size. Shimming can help remedy an out of square condition, but if the opening is too small you may have to plane down or rabbet the drawer box.

Kevin: good morning. Calmed down enough to get into this. Cabinet inside width dimensions are the same front & back. Drawer box is screwed up. 3/16" gap in the front left inside corner. So the left side is corner is less than 90 degrees in the front, pushing the assembly off to the right. Can't believe I allowed this, can't remember, too long ago, but I must have. Oh well.

If you see the wear it must be from the screw heads due to the racking of the drawer box. More on the right vs left. Not sure I can shim this out, and don't understand how it worked Ok for 4+ years. Anyway, do I shim the front left guide to compensate for the racking? Thanks. Brian

Kevin Jenness
04-02-2023, 10:16 AM
If I understand correctly one lower dovetailed corner did not come together at assembly (yet the dovetails appear flush). Any chance of forcing that gap closed by softening the glueline and clamping? Otherwise I would suggest planing the twist out of the drawer and resetting the front locking device- maybe it would be enough to simply relocate that clip. It's hard to tell from your description. The locking devices and rear tilt clips need to be set so that they engage the runners without pushing them out of line and parallel with the drawer sides.

Brian Runau
04-02-2023, 11:09 AM
If I understand correctly one lower dovetailed corner did not come together at assembly (yet the dovetails appear flush). Any chance of forcing that gap closed by softening the glueline and clamping? Otherwise I would suggest planing the twist out of the drawer and resetting the front locking device- maybe it would be enough to simply relocate that clip. It's hard to tell from your description. The locking devices and rear tilt clips need to be set so that they engage the runners without pushing them out of line and parallel with the drawer sides.

I shimmed the right front of the guide @3/32" @ 1/2 the 3/16" I was off. I tried shimming on the right front and 3/16's was too much and the drawer would not move freely. This allowed the drawer to close all the way on it's own. Adjusted the 3D as best I could. reveal is fairly even and closes on it's own. Thanks for your help. Brian