PDA

View Full Version : Need help with bandsaw blade

Marc Rochkind
04-01-2023, 6:01 AM
I picked up what I think is a pretty good saw on Craig's List, got it home (a stuggle!), but no blade. So, off to that big H store, where the guy told me that bandsaw blades were a lot safer than circular blades. Sounded good to me, so I got one of those and installed it. That seemed to go fine... it slipped right in.

But, when I power up the saw, the blade just wobbles and there's a lot of screeching. I tried, but it doesn't seem to actually cut.

What am I doing wrong?

Lee Schierer
04-01-2023, 10:09 AM
You have the blade in the cross cut position, so you need to move the rip fence out of the way.

John Lanciani
04-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Hope that's a SawStop...

John TenEyck
04-01-2023, 10:40 AM
It's April 1st, right?

John

Stan Powers
04-01-2023, 10:47 AM
Is your saw Left tilt or Right tilt? Your blade may be installed backward. Make sure the pointed parts are not against the arbor but are aimed away from it

Rod Sheridan
04-01-2023, 3:44 PM
I picked up what I think is a pretty good saw on Craig's List, got it home (a stuggle!), but no blade. So, off to that big H store, where the guy told me that bandsaw blades were a lot safer than circular blades. Sounded good to me, so I got one of those and installed it. That seemed to go fine... it slipped right in.

But, when I power up the saw, the blade just wobbles and there's a lot of screeching. I tried, but it doesn't seem to actually cut.

What am I doing wrong?

That blade only works on saws with a 30mm or larger arbour…..Regards, Rod

Jacques Gagnon
04-01-2023, 5:26 PM
My vote would go for gullets that are too deep. They will catch on the side of the throat plate, a phenomenon known as « scaling », just like on a fish.

Andrew Hughes
04-01-2023, 9:22 PM
Everything looks fine to me. I say run till the wheels fall off. ;)

Mel Fulks
04-01-2023, 9:41 PM
That safety info was wrong ,or at least incomplete. A circular saw will often just mangle
a thumb or digit. A band saw often REMOVES QUICKLY , “Choose wisely, Grass Hoppa”.