PDA

View Full Version : Thought this was a cool idea to eliminate snipe.

Brian Runau
03-31-2023, 5:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NusAQMTEcCY&t=2s

Brian
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NusAQMTEcCY&t=2s)

Richard Coers
03-31-2023, 9:10 PM
Been doing that for decades when planing thin stock. That guy needs an outfield table for that little saw more than a snipe preventer

Derek Cohen
03-31-2023, 9:22 PM
I did something similar to that 20 years ago. For my Delta lunchbox, the beds were adjusted and fixed to form a coplanar and flat surface ….

https://i.postimg.cc/Ch1J4rX4/Thicknessertable1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/kJGGXWR4/Thicknessertable3.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/pWrbnZBw/Thicknessertable2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

This eliminated all snipe with this machine.

Note that this might not work for some machines since there can be other causes of snipe, such as rollers nor feeding evenly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lee Schierer
03-31-2023, 9:35 PM
I have the Delta 12-1/2" planer and I built a cabinet, built from scrap 3/4" plywood that fits along part of one wall in my shop. The top of the cabinet is two layers the base of the planer sets on the lower one. The top of the upper layer is level with the extension tables. I have about 2 feet of in feed and 30" of out feed flat wood surface before the wood hits or leaves the tables on the planer. I still have to be careful not to let long pieces sag going in or coming out. If my shop was larger I would make a longer cabinet so there is more in feed table.

There were a number of safety concerns I saw in that video, but they would be the topic for a video safety review thread.

I cleaned up my shop a bit and took a photo of my planer cabinet. The compartments underneath store my shop vac, various jigs and sleds, my dust pans, air compressor and a miter sled. The orange bag collects small cut offs and scraps that I use to start camp fires when we go camping. The drawer stores my hammer drill kit, nozzles and tubes for the shop vac and spare parts for the Christmas lights.

Rick Potter
03-31-2023, 9:52 PM
Add me to the group. Been using one of these on my DeWalt 735 for at least 15 years. Wax the melamine once in a while.

Derek Cohen
03-31-2023, 11:18 PM
I have the Delta 12-1/2" planer and I built a cabinet, built from scrap 3/4" plywood that fits along part of one wall in my shop. The top of the cabinet is two layers the base of the planer sets on the lower one. The top of the upper layer is level with the extension tables. I have about 2 feet of in feed and 30" of out feed flat wood surface before the wood hits or leaves the tables on the planer. I still have to be careful not to let long pieces sag going in or coming out. If my shop was larger I would make a longer cabinet so there is more in feed table.

There were a number of safety concerns I saw in that video, but they would be the topic for a video safety review thread.

Lee, add the method (above) I used on the Delta. That will provide all the support you need for a longer bed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

andy bessette
03-31-2023, 11:41 PM
With my old Delta 13" planer I get no snipe.

https://i.postimg.cc/Px1N9bZr/IMG-0418.jpg (https://postimg.cc/ZBKTydV1)

Warren Lake
04-01-2023, 1:51 AM
what Richard said.

Watching those two sheet cuts on the table saw are you serious. Guy needs to go to school.

Stan Calow
04-01-2023, 8:56 AM
So, snipe is caused by alignment and movement of the in/out feed tables? I had not heard it put that way before.

Grant Wilkinson
04-01-2023, 9:14 AM
I tried this with a DW735 and still got snipe on the trailing end. As I understand it, on this planer at least, the snipe is caused by the roller dropping down over the end of the piece so that trailing end is cut a bit deeper. The only solution that I have found so far is to run a sacrificial piece just before the good piece exits. The sacrificial piece holds the roller up and there is no snipe. It's a bit of a pain to coordinate, though. Plus, it only works if the good piece is not full width.

I'm with Lee. I couldn't watch the entire video owing to all the bad practices of this guy. Another topic for another day.

Brian Runau
04-01-2023, 10:57 AM
I tried this with a DW735 and still got snipe on the trailing end. As I understand it, on this planer at least, the snipe is caused by the roller dropping down over the end of the piece so that trailing end is cut a bit deeper. The only solution that I have found so far is to run a sacrificial piece just before the good piece exits. The sacrificial piece holds the roller up and there is no snipe. It's a bit of a pain to coordinate, though. Plus, it only works if the good piece is not full width.

I'm with Lee. I couldn't watch the entire video owing to all the bad practices of this guy. Another topic for another day.

I have the DW735 with the tables made for it. After adjusting them a little high, I find if I maintain gentle downward pressure on the infeed until it is under both rollers and gentle pressure upward on the bottom of the board as it comes out of both rollers I can almost eliminate the snipe problem. Thanks. Brian

Edward Weber
04-01-2023, 11:16 AM
what Richard said.

Watching those two sheet cuts on the table saw are you serious. Guy needs to go to school.
Just watching his methods of work in general is a bit painful. The scoring and back and forth with the miter saw was enough fo me.

Snipe is caused when the board is not supported by both feed rollers. If the leading or trailing edge is not held tight to the table, the free end drops and pivots the end in the machine up into the blade slightly.
You just need support along the length of the cut, whether it be better in-feed and out-feed tables or support rollers or you manually support the wood by hand.
Any planer without extended tables or some type of support is going to snipe.

Matthew Hills
04-01-2023, 12:26 PM
So, snipe is caused by alignment and movement of the in/out feed tables? I had not heard it put that way before.

Snipe can be caused if the board isn't kept flat and either the leading or trailing edge tilt up into the cutterhead. This can be improved with improving support of the workpiece.

Snipe can also be caused if the planer's cutterhead isn't stable and shifts down into the workpiece when only one of the rollers is in contact with the board. This can be helped by running boards end-end, or outrigger boards. Adjusting roller pressure might help on some planers.

Matt

Richard Coers
04-01-2023, 12:50 PM
Snipe was more of an issue before bench top planers were even invented. Industrial planers had bed rollers in them for less friction. Some planers had a quick lever to drop the rollers below the bed, but others took adjustment to do that. In those days you had a piece of scrap stock that you fed in first to keep the pressure bar and chip breaker at the correct level as you sent in a piece of good stock. Then you overlapped the feed of other boards so everything was in alignment for the rest of the batch of boards.

Michael Burnside
04-01-2023, 8:55 PM
Just watching his methods of work in general is a bit painful. The scoring and back and forth with the miter saw was enough fo me.

I thought I was the only one. The back and forth like it was a hand saw, ugh…

al ladd
04-02-2023, 8:07 AM
He has 101,000 subscribers, and this video has had over 1/3 of a million views with 5,700 positive responses and no negative. Many of the replies talk about his "genius".

He seems to have learned most of his woodworking from other Youtube videos. These guys and gals copy each other relentlessly so they have "new content" on a regular basis, like drug addicts needing a regular fix. And I wonder whether the AI apps everyone is talking lately about will be harvesting info from this video to answer people who simply ask questions to Google rather tan seek out an actual reliable source of information.

Meanwhile FWW struggles to find people willing to pay for good information, and their videos get fewer views than those of many of these charlatans.

Edward Weber
04-02-2023, 4:49 PM
He has 101,000 subscribers, and this video has had over 1/3 of a million views with 5,700 positive responses and no negative. Many of the replies talk about his "genius".

He seems to have learned most of his woodworking from other Youtube videos. These guys and gals copy each other relentlessly so they have "new content" on a regular basis, like drug addicts needing a regular fix. And I wonder whether the AI apps everyone is talking lately about will be harvesting info from this video to answer people who simply ask questions to Google rather tan seek out an actual reliable source of information.

Meanwhile FWW struggles to find people willing to pay for good information, and their videos get fewer views than those of many of these charlatans.

I share your sentiment

They don't post negative (thumbs down) any more. Only the creator an see those numbers, including mine.

The problem as I see it and others seem to finally be noticing, is generation loss.

I know there are lots of people who swear by learning via YT, and that's great.
There are some however, that have learned via YT and without knowledge, also learned bad habits. Which get picked up by each successive viewer.

Rick Potter
04-02-2023, 8:44 PM
I agree with Al also. You must be careful to view YouTubers with an eye to safety, too many are showing dangerous procedures. That being said, I have found many of them to have great new ideas.

About Fine Woodworking videos...when I try to see them, I often fail, because I am not a paid subcriber to them, even though I get the Mag.

Rod Sheridan
04-07-2023, 9:42 AM

Snipe is caused by loss of control of the workpiece by the planer feed rollers.

An adequately rigid structure with adequate hold down force results in no snipe.

My jointer/planer has been calibrated to produce zero snipe, it can neither be measured nor detected by feel……Regards, Rod

Thomas L Carpenter
04-07-2023, 10:15 AM
I bought a 12" by 4ft piece of melamine shelving and screwed a cleat to the bottom. Works great and is easy to clean. I have DW734.