PDA

View Full Version : Simplified Washing Machine Repair

Tom M King
03-31-2023, 4:49 PM
The washing machine in the dog room needs a new drain pump. Procedure requires taking washer out, taking top off, taking control panel off, disconnecting tub seal behind the door, and taking the front off. I said the heck with that. I have some white clean release duct tape. Changing the pump is a five minute job now.

At least the how-to youtube video was good for making my guesswork for how big to cut the hole right on.

Bill Dufour
03-31-2023, 8:37 PM
I believe the ford focus had pre-punched lines in the inner fender showing where to cut for a similar job. They sold a slightly larger patch piece to be screwed on over the new hole. The patch piece also came in extra large for those who cut outside the lines.
For your machine a nice oak or mahogany panel with brass screws or bolts would look very nautical
Bill D.

Bruce Wrenn
03-31-2023, 9:16 PM
Back in the late sixities, Chevrolets had a problem accessing spark plug on right side of engine.. SOP was to hole saw an access thru inner fender liner, then pop rivet a piece of tin can in place to keep water from wheel out. Wasn't pretty, but it worked. The other option was to raise both engine and transmission a couple inches to get to plug.

Alex Zeller
04-01-2023, 11:19 PM
Back in the 70s my father couldn't figure out how to get at the belt in the drier so he took some tinsnips and cut a ragged hole in the side to access it. My mother was pissed and eventually made him swap the washer and drier around so the hole was in between them, not where someone could easily touch the metal and cut their hands or get their hand caught on the spinning belt. Tom, you did a much nicer job.