PDA

View Full Version : First Hollowing

James Baldwin
03-31-2023, 9:38 AM
Hi Group, I just did my first hollowing. I made a couple of mistakes but I'm learning. One question I have is how do sand the inside? This would be on the walnut one. The other one was my first attempt at a lid. I did make a mistake when I was sanding the dovetail off the bottom. I sanded a hole though the bottom because I had used a Forstner bit to do the initial drilling and it had a 1/4 inch point on it which I had forgot about. I was able to glue a new bottom on it and save it. Live and learn. Jim

Eugene Dixon
03-31-2023, 10:38 AM
Jim,
For forms that size, I make use of a sanding mop from Klingspor Woodworking. I cut my own sandpapers to put on the arbor. I use up a lot of utility knife blades when I make up a new mop.

Robert Hayward
03-31-2023, 12:42 PM
As Eugene says, a sanding mop. Could be home made or store bought.

Nice job for your first try at hollowing by the way. Also nice that you were able to save your mistake.

James Baldwin
03-31-2023, 6:50 PM
The sanding mop. I just ordered 2 of them from Klingspor's for a friend of mine. They are the ones that come with the 1" X 4" mops. Is it the same arbor or a smaller one because I have one of the arbors around my shop somewhere just have to find it. Jim

Eugene Dixon
03-31-2023, 7:17 PM
The sanding mop. I just ordered 2 of them from Klingspor's for a friend of mine. They are the ones that come with the 1" X 4" mops. Is it the same arbor or a smaller one because I have one of the arbors around my shop somewhere just have to find it. Jim

not sure of your opening but that would dictate the mop width and arbor. IIRC, I have two sizes of arbors but only built out the bigger one.

To cut my own papers, I used a piece of ply the width of the mop strands (1"?) and cut slits in the ply to run the utility knife through to shred ends of the mop strands.

If you find your arbor see if my jig is near by because I haven't used it since the move and don't recall if it was tossed or moved. LOL!! I do know where my arbors are!!:)