PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW788: what is this spring for?

Ken Flesher
03-30-2023, 7:05 PM
First post here...

Been searching for a used DW788 scroll saw for awhile, finally one popped up near me on craigslist, so I went and picked it up. Included the stand and light and a handful of blades. Barely used, but kinda dirty from sitting around.

So this afternoon I set to cleaning it up. Then I realized it has this weird spring on the back/right side that I can't find any purpose for. Did a Google image search, none of the ones I see have this spring. eReplacementparts.com does not show this spring in the diagram. Any ideas? I'm gonna just take it off for now.

(Note: the table has been removed in this photo, so I can properly clean it up and get it polished)

Thank you!

Cary Falk
03-30-2023, 7:39 PM
It doesn't original. It isn't on the parts list. I don't recall it being on mine when I had it. No images on yahoo search has it.

James Pallas
03-30-2023, 8:09 PM
I’d bet on an anti rattle device.
Jim

Ken Flesher
03-30-2023, 8:19 PM
I don't see how it could do any rattle dampening, it's on 2 fixed screws. The screws don't match the others, they are Phillips 10-24, all the other screws are Torx M6.

James Pallas
03-30-2023, 9:16 PM
User mod not factory.
Jim

Steve Jenkins
03-30-2023, 10:08 PM
Don’t see what it does since both ends are attached to the same casting.

glenn bradley
03-30-2023, 10:29 PM
Part of an after market device that holds the arm up while you are changing or threading blades. I have one on mine but it is currently packed up. I will look.

Jim Dandy Products (https://jimdandy.com/products/easy-lift-system-for-dewalt-scroll-saw-dw788). How could I forget a name like that.

John Ziebron
03-30-2023, 10:55 PM
My guess is that someone added it to hold extra blades. Those thin blades will fit nicely between the coils.

Ken Flesher
03-31-2023, 11:04 AM
I believe you are correct, thanks. Watched the linked video (12 years old!), hardware matches what is provided in that kit, even the little brass sleeve on the upper screw. My saw is missing the screw on the front cover that gets swapped out as well.

I have a bunch of scrap steel in my bin, should be easy to reproduce to restore this function. Awesome.